White Board etc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

On DAT test day, what can I have with me? I know I will be getting a white board, but should I bring in a pencil or pen or anything? A snack?

Members don't see this ad.

I have not written my DAT yet, but from what I have heard, bring a snack/lunch for the 15 minute break. Your body is going to need the glucose. Someone who recently took their DAT said the ADA is not allowing test takers to have dry erasers anymore, which is complete BS (someone may want to elaborate if this is true or not). If this is the case, I would wear an old sweatshirt or t-shirt and just use that to wipe the board off with.

On DAT test day, what can I have with me? I know I will be getting a white board, but should I bring in a pencil or pen or anything? A snack?

I just took the test on Monday and I was provided with two dry erase boards, two markers and an eraser. Other than those things that are provided (besides your own ear plugs), you're not allowed to bring anything into the testing room. You'll get a locker for your stuff, where you can put your snack for the break. I brought a power bar and a water. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
dry erase is what you see on those big dry erase boards, like the one chad uses. wet erase is what you would see a teacher use with an overhead in class. both dry erase and wet erase can be used with a laminated sheet. the difference is that dry erase can be erase with fibers, while wet erase requires water, since it is water soluble. so dry erase are easier to clean, but i prefer wet erase because dry erase markers dry out quicker because they are alcohol based. also, dry erase markers tend to be much thicker than wet erase markers, so you have to write bigger. if you can request one or the other, i think wet erase is the way to go. you can write smaller and fit more on a page. you shouldn't have a problem with running out of sheets.

you should call your specific site to find out what their policy is. each site is different. here's what the ADA has to say about the current switch from dry erase to wet erase:
Previously two erasable note boards, two low-odor fine tip dry erase markers, and an eraser were provided to you by test center staff for your examination. However, sites are in the process of receiving new markers. These new markers are of better quality but they cannot be erased with an eraser. Therefore, sites will not be supplying you with an eraser. If you fill the two note boards and require additional note boards, please raise your hand and inform the test center administrator. The test center administrator will exchange one of your used note boards with a new note board. This change has not occurred at all sites yet but will be implemented within the next few months.

I had wet erase at my site. When you wanted new sheets, you had to swap them out with the proctor.

Since I didn't want to waste time with that, I erased my own boards with my..... well let's just say I hope they cleaned those things before someone else used them! haha