White Coat and Med School Graduation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Richspiders07

User - peruser
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are youy guys doing with your white coat after med school graduation? Keep as a memento? Bonfire? Getting it framed like a signed jersey? lol

I really want to trash the thing, but I keep thinking that it may be something "cool" for my kids to see one day, etc. There are a lot of memories in this nasty coat.

Discuss...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm probably going to sound like the most ignorant person in the world, but do you even use the white coat your first two years of medical school?

My school, like most schools, is having a white coat ceremony this fall. Do you just put the white coat in a closet until clinical rotations?

Just one of those questions I've always wondered...

There are many times during your pre-clinical years when you'll need your white coat. As a MS-2, I'm in the hospital every week practicing H&Ps and I always have to wear it.

How often you need it during your first two years will depend on your school, but you'll definitely be wearing it.

You always could wear scrubs and your white coat to class M1-M2. Also, probably when you go to the library, bookstore, grocery store, basically anywhere...lots of pockets for storage!

and don't forget the scrub cap!

I'm probably going to sound like the most ignorant person in the world, but do you even use the white coat your first two years of medical school?

My school, like most schools, is having a white coat ceremony this fall. Do you just put the white coat in a closet until clinical rotations?

Just one of those questions I've always wondered...
We have standardized patients fairly often, every 6 weeks or so I'd say. We also have patient perspectives. Both require us to wear our coat. It will get its use for the first year and the second. Just don't wear it unless necessary. You're not impressing anyone on campus, since everyone has one. Its cool to have it, but it doesn't bring you glory.

I don't know, but the day that I don't HAVE to wear one is going to be the greatest day EVAH!

I've had a few rotations where I haven't had to where that thing, and they've been glorious. My happiness is directly related to not having to wear that glorified lab coat.

We have to wear ours all the time the first two years. Every week. We have clinical stuff with standardized patients where we have to wear it every other week. Then, we are with a preceptor on the off learning center weeks. Also have to wear it for stupid health fairs and stuff.

Anyway, If you have two then burn or do whatever to it. I'd save the other for memory sake, or at least the patches on it. (If they have them)

I threw out one of them a week or two ago because it was so filthy, and I was in a cleaning mood. The other one, I might give to an underclassman just to save them money.

I'm giving mine to my son. By the time he is an M1, med school will cost $100K/year, and he will need every penny he can save.

Mine is a going to get a bleach bath, go into storage and will one day be given to my future children to play dress up. :p

What are youy guys doing with your white coat after med school graduation? Keep as a memento? Bonfire? Getting it framed like a signed jersey? lol

I really want to trash the thing, but I keep thinking that it may be something "cool" for my kids to see one day, etc. There are a lot of memories in this nasty coat.

Discuss...

I have two, one suffered a fatal accident when it got caught on an arm chair and I stood up too quickly. It now hangs in tatters in my closet awaiting its final destination with my other white coat at the bottom of a burn barrel :D .

Members don't see this ad :)
It's funny, when I was an MS1, I couldn't wait to get my white coat. When I was a PGY1 I couldn't wait to get my long white coat. Now as an attending I wear no white coat!

It's funny, when I was an MS1, I couldn't wait to get my white coat. When I was a PGY1 I couldn't wait to get my long white coat. Now as an attending I wear no white coat!

My school starts us out with the longer whitecoats. It kind of surprised me. I hated the thing to begin with though. Although, it does allow me to cover up my un-ironed shirts or sleeves that are too short.

My school has several campuses and the one I'm assigned to doesn't hold a white coat ceremony until their family day, which has traditionally been late October or so of MS2.

I'm looking forward to it as a stepping stone for sure.

BushInWhiteCoat.jpg

Wow. We only get one coat for ALL FOUR YEARS.

It's insulting to wear a half-sized coat, so I ditched it for my final two third-year rotations and all of my fourth-year rotations (except surgery when I needed something to throw over my scrubs).

I'm donating mine to the anatomy lab for first-year dissections.

Anyone else feel that the whole "coat" thing is vastly overrated? What with the CRNA's, PA's, NP's, RN's, and Pharmacy Students all wearing long white coats?

I'd just like to wear my scrubs all day and actually do something!

Anyone else feel that the whole "coat" thing is vastly overrated? What with the CRNA's, PA's, NP's, RN's, and Pharmacy Students all wearing long white coats?

I'd just like to wear my scrubs all day and actually do something!

For sure. That's why I ditched mine. You look a lot more professional if you are decked out in a schnazzy shirt-and-tie combo with a stethoscope around your neck. Just carry your Pocket Medicine in your back pocket, and you'll feel so liberated.

I have three (one was given to me at the white coat ceremony, and I purchased two others, b/c I hate doing laundry), and I plan on giving 2 away to underclassmen and keeping one. Ours are all plain, no patches, no names, nothing, just a plain short white coat.

I will keep the white coat untill it damage!I come from china.Iam a orthopaedist! :welcome:to china!

the post above this one is awesome