White Coat Questions (help!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Name on the White coat

• Jane Ellen Doe

• Jane E. Doe

• Ellen Doe

Results are only viewable after voting.

iris11

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a little bit confused about what to do. I have to get my white coat embroidered, and I'm unsure about what name to put on it. I've always gone by middle name, not my first name, so I want to put my middle name on there. However, I'm not sure if this is allowed or even suggested. It's a little weird to have people call me my first name since only my father does so.

For example, my name is Jane Ellen Doe. Since I've always gone by Ellen and not Jane, I want to put "Ellen Doe" on my white coat. Is this appropriate or would it be better to put "Jane Ellen Doe" or "Jane E. Doe"

Members don't see this ad.

Middle initial only so it reads "E. MD". Great conversation starter.

If you're paying for it, you might as well put Ellen Doe. You're identification is your ID badge anyway, not your embroidering.

I'm a little bit confused about what to do. I have to get my white coat embroidered, and I'm unsure about what name to put on it. I've always gone by middle name, not my first name, so I want to put my middle name on there. However, I'm not sure if this is allowed or even suggested. It's a little weird to have people call me my first name since only my father does so.

For example, my name is Jane Ellen Doe. Since I've always gone by Ellen and not Jane, I want to put "Ellen Doe" on my white coat. Is this appropriate or would it be better to put "Jane Ellen Doe" or "Jane E. Doe"

If you go by a name other than your legal name, try to be consistent- i.e. White coat, how you sign your notes, and most importantly in the paging system.

Members don't see this ad :)
On another note, anyone know a good place to get a white coat, the one my I got from my school's pockets are so tiny I cant fit anything. (Partly b/c i got a small size), but still.

Ask your school to make sure all those options are allowed

Ask your school to make sure all those options are allowed

I hope your school doesn't micromanage to the degree they have a policy with a full-time administrator in charge of this specific problem. Put whatever name you want, Jane or Ellen, no one will ever care on rotations.

Reactions: 1 users

STOP overthinking this!!!

STOP overthinking this!!!

What is she overthinking? And try to be polite and respectful. Your post added ZERO value to this discussion.

You've never experienced the extreme level of pettiness some medical schools display because your a non-physician faculty member.

I would think about it too, considering an embroidered white cost costs $50 or more and your school is probably robbing you blind of tuition to pay the GOROs of this world.

What is she overthinking? And try to be polite and respectful. Your post added ZERO value to this discussion.

You've never experienced the extreme level of pettiness some medical schools display because your a non-physician faculty member.

I would think about it too, considering an embroidered white cost costs $50 or more and your school is probably robbing you blind of tuition to pay the GOROs of this world.

OP answered her own question. sb247 polished off the thread.

And wow, some went in this direction immediately!

images

OP answered her own question. sb247 polished off the thread.

And wow, some went in this direction immediately!

images

If you believed your post, then don't comment. Your post contributed NOTHING. Do you somehow think your status as non-clinician faculty makes you above those who have actual experience?

If you believed your post, then don't comment. Your post contributed NOTHING. Do you somehow think your status as non-clinician faculty makes you above those who have actual experience?
Yes. Yes a faculty member would have some idea about the type of micromanaging a medical school gets into.

Feel free to disagree with them, but there is no reason to deny their relevant experience

Joined today...makes several inflammatory posts here and elsewhere...has to be a respawn, but which one? Mrh125? MettaWorld Peace? StreamPaw?

Applying Ignore function. You'll feel some tingling right between the eyes,. Try not to let it hurt your little brain.

Yes. Yes a faculty member would have some idea about the type of micromanaging a medical school gets into.

Feel free to disagree with them, but there is no reason to deny their relevant experience

I would expect a faculty member to act in a more professional manner. Goro reminds me of some of the arrogant faculty at my school that believe they are so much more important and better than us because they have a job at a medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined today...makes several inflammatory posts here and elsewhere...has to be a respawn, but which one? Mrh125? MettaWorld Peace? StreamPaw?

Applying Ignore function. You'll feel some tingling right between the eyes,. Try not to let it hurt your little brain.

Ignoring is your AMMO, its all you got. I'll take my brain over yours any and every day!!!

Reactions: 1 user
I'd go with J. Ellen Doe. It's accurate, and if someone glances at your coat they'll see the name you're most likely to answer to (although be prepared to be referred to as "medical student" no matter what you put on there).

I'd go with J. Ellen Doe. It's accurate, and if someone glances at your coat they'll see the name you're most likely to answer to (although be prepared to be referred to as "medical student" no matter what you put on there).

I like both, Ellen Doe and J. Ellen Doe.

I agree, it won't matter much what your name states. The attending will say "my medical student" to the patient, if they even acknowledge your existence at all.