White shoes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ESU_MD

Old School
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many people wear pure white shoes in the OR? Of course, I'm not talking about sneakers...

In my youth, I used to make fun of this style, but now I am starting to appreciate this old school look more, especially if combined with freshly pressed and starched scrub suit. (which is NEVER worn in view of an awake patient- or God forbid outside the hospital)

Members don't see this ad.

How many people wear pure white shoes in the OR? Of course, I'm not talking about sneakers...

In my youth, I used to make fun of this style, but now I am starting to appreciate this old school look more, especially if combined with freshly pressed and starched scrub suit. (which is NEVER worn in view of an awake patient- or God forbid outside the hospital)

I guess that's cool if you're into the old school gentleman scholar surgeon thing. I think they used to do gastrectomies for ulcer disease too. ;)

Maybe I'm too young to have seen this "old school look," but what style of shoe are we talking about? The only pure white shoes I've seen have been either clogs (which are generally worn by nurses), or "granny style" lace up oxfords. Neither of which are all that appealing.

Members don't see this ad :)
No. they would stay shiny white for only about 5 minutes, then would be streaked with blood, stool and other bodily fluids.

pressed starched scrub suite? WTF?

one of our old school pedi surgeons wears the white shoes on OR days. very tuff

I think two of the peds cardiac surgeons where I go to school rock the white shoes. One's pretty old school... and the other finished his last fellowship 5 years ago, i.e. started his training in the late-60's.

One of our faculty (Duke trained back in the 70s) still rocks the white shoes. We also had a chief resident (again, one who has ties to Duke) who had white clogs (you'd never say anything to him about it; first off, he pulled it off, second, he was 6'6" and a former fighter pilot, so you had to respect him just for those things alone). However, I don't understand the starched scrubs. The hospital doesn't starch them, which means you are wearing scrubs to the OR that you washed yourself; a big no-no here.

White shoes make me think of those white orthopedic shoe things. I think I'll keep my Crocs.

One of our otologists who trained at Duke definitely rocks the all white shoes. Of course, a huge amount of blood loss for him is 15 cc so it works.

Personally I rock the black Dansko's and that seems to work fine for me. Never can tell when one of the big neck cases or abscess drainage cases will turn a touch bloody.

However, I don't understand the starched scrubs. The hospital doesn't starch them, which means you are wearing scrubs to the OR that you washed yourself; a big no-no here.

The big shot staff surgeons here have a nice perk- they get issued personally embroidered scrub sets and drop them in a seperate bin in the locker room, then they are cleaned, pressed and delivered, also their white coats. Sounds like an unnecessary expense, but I think its a nice touch of style. Especially, considering all the money that gets wasted on a daily basis in the OR with other stuff

I agree- Washing your own scrubs at home is definetely pretty lame. (Almost as bad as wearing scrubs to the bar, or even to and from home)

The big shot staff surgeons here have a nice perk- they get issued personally embroidered scrub sets and drop them in a seperate bin in the locker room, then they are cleaned, pressed and delivered, also their white coats.

That's pretty fancy. We have nothing like that here for our staff.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have not heard nor seen of these white shoes. Anyone have a picture because Im not sure what you are talking about.:confused:

I think they are just white clogs - very popular in europe to wear. I think they look extremely silly especially on guys. One of our european transplant surgeons where i trained wore them.

I have not heard nor seen of these white shoes. Anyone have a picture because Im not sure what you are talking about.:confused:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hasn't seen these.

I can only hope he isn't referring to these:

White_clog2.JPG

They are white lace up shoes with conductive soles, a left over from the days of flammable anesthetics when everyone in the OR had to wear conductive soled shoes or shoe covers with conductive attachments.

Sorry, I can't find a picture

Actually, they are just any old white shoes. My attending who wears them wears old, white penny-loafer looking shoes. The graduated chief wore white clogs that look like Danskos.

The "Dr. Kildare" look kind of faded. I personally go for the "granola" look in shoes with my Birkie Bostons with shoe covers over the top while in the OR and a "country" twist on rounds with cowboy boots. One of my favorite cardiothoracic fellows like to chew tobacco on rounds and had a spit cup (he was from Louisiana swamp country). I remember the scream of a medical student who accidentally drank from that cup when she thought it was her coffee cup. I am not going to adapt that much style. :eek:

Seriously, anything white on me ends up stained so I tend to avoid it. Anything that I wear on my feet in the OR gets minimal double shoe covers.

Jeez, you are as bad as the others with your "do my work for me" crap ;).

L11797140.jpg

These look like what the attending wears (but about 20 years older).

10280-47676-p.jpg

These are what my former chief wears (yes, they are in the men's section on Zappos.com).

Actually, they are just any old white shoes. My attending who wears them wears old, white penny-loafer looking shoes. The graduated chief wore white clogs that look like Danskos.

The story I've heard about MWF's shoes is that they are/were custom made by the Duke orthotic's department for all residents and are very comfy.

The story I've heard about MWF's shoes is that they are/were custom made by the Duke orthotic's department for all residents and are very comfy.

That's a pretty sweet deal. Do they still do that?

only attendings. and i absolutely love the old school-ness of them.

if i could i'd also rock the old school loupes with the thick black frames, but they are too heavy for my head.

but i sure do love the way they look.

oh, and the white crocs with white soles are just cheesy...

if i could i'd also rock the old school loupes with the thick black frames, but they are too heavy for my head.

I'm there with you, but without the wooden box it just isn't the same, so I sold out and went with the Nike frames (same cost and looked more appropriate in the space-age metallic box DfV is using now).

pfft. Being old school has nothing to do with the color of your shoes.

Being in your 50s+ and still outworking residents half your age, being the champ that can handle it all in the OR, intimidating people by your mere presence, polydivorced and now with a replacement trophy gf/wife who you know doesn't love you but you couldn't care less 'cuz you don't believe in love anymore anyway, being a workaholic to compensate for the empty feeling in your soul, dying alone and forgotten except for maybe a small blurb in the hospital newsletter....that's old school.

Too many posers around thinking they're old school when they wouldn't have ever went into surgery if the old school 120 hours were still the norm.

dying alone and forgotten except for maybe a small blurb in the hospital newsletter....that's old school.

classic- probably the best line I've read in quite some time.

old school is a way of life

Jeez, you are as bad as the others with your "do my work for me" crap ;).

Ha ha...you forget, I am the attending and you the resident. You are supposed to do my work for me! ;)

L11797140.jpg

These look like what the attending wears (but about 20 years older).

Looks like something Jack Lord would have worn with a leisure suit. I fail to see the appeal.

10280-47676-p.jpg

These are what my former chief wears (yes, they are in the men's section on Zappos.com).

Even worse.

but i sure do love the way they look.

Are they old school? I know very few residents or attendings that have any other type. And they do seem heavy when you first wear them (especially with a headlamp) but you easily get used to the weight.

I'm there with you, but without the wooden box it just isn't the same, so I sold out and went with the Nike frames (same cost and looked more appropriate in the space-age metallic box DfV is using now).

DFV doesn't use the wooden box anymore? Wow...I'm old school, who knew!

pfft. Being old school has nothing to do with the color of your shoes.

Being in your 50s+ and still outworking residents half your age, being the champ that can handle it all in the OR, intimidating people by your mere presence, polydivorced and now with a replacement trophy gf/wife who you know doesn't love you but you couldn't care less 'cuz you don't believe in love anymore anyway, being a workaholic to compensate for the empty feeling in your soul, dying alone and forgotten except for maybe a small blurb in the hospital newsletter....that's old school.

Too many posers around thinking they're old school when they wouldn't have ever went into surgery if the old school 120 hours were still the norm.

Mysterioso?

I asked one of the attendings about that. He said that when he went through all of the residents got a free pair of white lace up shoes. Still wears them.

i got the nikes too. not bad. pretty light. and yes, in the silver metallic box.

i have an attending that rants on and on about the fomites that live in the foam of the old wooden boxes. however, he too has said wooden box and the thick black frames that match. too cheap to upgrade, fomites or no...

Wearing white danskos in surgery is like wearing a black belt in martial arts. It lets everyone know you are someone given the power to destroy but also refined through the years with restraint and the skill to accomplish one's objective with the least damage possible.

Most of the male residents at Duke still wear the white shoes. They go great with the white pants the first two years. Unfortunately, the program does not pay for them anymore. They are white lace-up oxfords with white soles.

I think that ESU_MD is probably talking about the (formerly) white shoes shown in the last 30 seconds of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p23FapDoTlM

The video is a commercial for the Hopkins documentary that ran on ABC last summer. I'm not quite sure how 2 minutes of various doctors talking about their favorite shoes is supposed to make anyone want to watch their show, but the clip is pretty relevant to this thread.

nice video-

Wearing those spring loaded heeled shoes looks so ridiculous. I wouldnt have the nerve to be seen in those in front of a patients family postop. I have seen those worn in the hospital, but so far only by nurses, not any surgeons.

On another note- if you are going to wear the white shoe look, they have to be kept clean.

The whole white shoe thing is an attitude, like Filter07 suggested a black belt- or as I like to say fighter pilot. Coming out of the OR to talk to the family postop wearing sneakers, a scrub cap and a mask hanging from your neck doesnt show the attitude I like to represent.

I think that ESU_MD is probably talking about the (formerly) white shoes shown in the last 30 seconds of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p23FapDoTlM

The video is a commercial for the Hopkins documentary that ran on ABC last summer. I'm not quite sure how 2 minutes of various doctors talking about their favorite shoes is supposed to make anyone want to watch their show, but the clip is pretty relevant to this thread.

yes those are the white shoes that they wear... gay as all hell. at the cleveland clinic the staff surgeons wear white pants (regular pants), and mathching short sleeve white shirt.. and white shoes.. gay gay gay.. just ****ing wear reg **** with scrubs what is the big deal