Who all's going to Europe before Medschool '07?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
wow, a ton of people going around the same period (may 15-june 15)! we should hostel-hop as a group.. yep I planned on staying in hostels for most of my trip to cut costs also.
to the guy that assumed our trips would be funded by our parents: i'm going for a weeklong conference in mid-may in berlin, so airfare and a week of hotel is paid by grant and a stipend award. the remaining cost is just food, hostel, and transport.
anyway, so what if someone's parents decided to sponsor their beloved kid's last months off before med school?

Members don't see this ad.

My younger brother just completed a study abroad in the Netherlands. He spent alot of time in Amsterdam and always stayed at the Flying Pig Youth Hostel. He said it was cheap and wonderful, lots of interesting people and in the middle of all the action in Amsterdam. So stay at the Flying Pig. You will be glad that you did.

How much does it cost to be in Europe for, say, 3 weeks if you're going the cheapest way possible?
I think the cheapest tickets around may-june are ~700. hostels can be as low as 20usd a day. and if you want to skimp like crazy, just eat bread and water (~1usd/day).

Members don't see this ad :)
sounds exciting.. Am I the only person yet to make it out of the country?!?

sounds exciting.. Am I the only person yet to make it out of the country?!?
do you mean first person to make it out of the country ever? or right now? i'm confused.

do you mean first person to make it out of the country ever? or right now? i'm confused.

...am I the first premed that hasn't yet made it out of the country... Everyone seems well versed with their European adventures.

...am I the first premed that hasn't yet made it out of the country... Everyone seems well versed with their European adventures.
ooh i see. for some reason i misread your post. whoops!

i seriously doubt that you're in the minority...i know plenty of premeds who haven't been out of the country. SDN can definitely be a little biased sometimes, and not just in the way of MCAT scores and GPAs. also, judging by the title of this thread, people posting in here are most likely going to have some interest and/or experience in traveling overseas.

I never realized I had such an unoriginal idea. I'm planning to do some Spain, France, Italy hopping this summer as well.

For money, paying for it out of my own pocket. Dad told me to put away 10% of paychecks since I was 15. I thought he was on crack. Turns out it'll buy me a trip to Europe.

I found a really cheap way to get there www.airhitch.com. Basically standby flying, but you're not charged until you actually find a flight to get on. Combined with a eurail pass, I have ZERO plans. And it's going to be great.

And to whoever asked about Fin Aid about 30 posts ago, your package should be settled before you leave. Then the disbursements and all that will be handled during orientation I think. Have fun everyone!

I'll add to the thumbing of noses to the people who are thumbing their noses at the "rich brats".

In my case, although I'm still not sure of my plans (I'd already be in England when classes end late June, and might stay around until mid-July, possibly in France or other places where I've friends), I've been living on a full scholarship including maintenance and etc. for the last few years, letting me save up. They even gave me some airplane tickets. Life is good. Now if only I can get my boyfriend to come with me.

Another idea that you might want to look at if you're into it, is couchsurfing. I think the website is www.couchsurfing.com

This isn't something I personally would do (call it the paranoid New Yorker in me) but I know people who have done it and say it's a lot of fun. Basically, you go on the site, find people who live in teh city you want to go to, and you sleep on their couch or extra bed. Usually, they take you around and all that, but not always. It is free though, so if you're a bit more adventurous, you may want ot try it.

Another idea that you might want to look at if you're into it, is couchsurfing. I think the website is www.couchsurfing.com

This isn't something I personally would do (call it the paranoid New Yorker in me) but I know people who have done it and say it's a lot of fun. Basically, you go on the site, find people who live in teh city you want to go to, and you sleep on their couch or extra bed. Usually, they take you around and all that, but not always. It is free though, so if you're a bit more adventurous, you may want ot try it.

Ok, so I know someone who did this and the guy she stayed with was crazy and almost got her killed in a ravine in Italy (They went hiking and got trapped and couldn't get out of this cavern/mountain thing). No joke, she had to helipotered out, missed her flight the next day to England, and made the local newspaper. Maybe it is ok if you are with someone else, but I wouldn't do it. I'm sure her experience is rare, however I find it kind of creepy. Also, if you sign up to stay on other people's couches you have to also be willing to put your couch up for people to crash on (at least from how my friend explained it). So you can't be a couch crasher without also being a couch donor.

check out www.europefamoushostels.com for some great places to stay in major cities. Getting on this site as the 'best' hostel in a major European city is a huge deal for these hostels. I've stayed at five of them (the Flying Pig in Amsterdam is on there...and it's great) and they're all top notch. But b/c of this site, they're all really popular so book early if you know when you're going to be there.

I wish I was going to Europe this summer. I used to live in the UK and I miss it so much. Have fun everyone!!!!:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody else have a boyfriend/girlfriend/SO who either can't go or doesn't want to go with them to Europe? I've been dreaming about this trip, and saving up for it, for years before I met my boyfriend. Seeing as this is likely my last chance to take a month to run off to Europe, I desperately want to go. But, my boyfriend will be going to summer school, and has made it clear that he is very upset that I want to "leave him" for 3-4 weeks before I move away to med school. I love him and I do want to spend time with him, but I don't want to give up this dream of mine. Anybody else in this situation? :(

i'm going to russia for three weeks with my brother and a bunch of friends :D it's gonna be awsome.

if i had enough money i would love to travel around italy too. maybe after i take step 1 of my boards..

Anybody else have a boyfriend/girlfriend/SO who either can't go or doesn't want to go with them to Europe? I've been dreaming about this trip, and saving up for it, for years before I met my boyfriend. Seeing as this is likely my last chance to take a month to run off to Europe, I desperately want to go. But, my boyfriend will be going to summer school, and has made it clear that he is very upset that I want to "leave him" for 3-4 weeks before I move away to med school. I love him and I do want to spend time with him, but I don't want to give up this dream of mine. Anybody else in this situation? :(

My girlfriend probably isn't going to go with me either. If I get accepted, I'm going to school in Ireland, so I'm just going to go to Egypt before I go over there, and she doesn't really want to go. She says she doesn't care that I want to go, but I'm sure she is. I'll probably end up staying home for that couple of weeks. :rolleyes:

Anybody else in this situation? :(

No, but I could see how I could have been in it with some past relationships. Thus, I feel ya. Tell him to come for a week to hang out with you, he can miss class. Otherwise, tell him it was your plan before you met him, and he can get over it. If all else fails, go to Europe anyway. Might I suggest Ibiza? Best place in Europe to get really drunk, lose all your stuff, and wake up in somebody else's bed. Have fun!!!:D

Nope, I'm taking my girlfriend with me and I am actually going to propose while in Paris.

To be specific, I'm going to do it here (the Pont des Arts bridge):
pontdesarts3.jpg

pontdesarts.jpg

pontdesarts2.jpg

viewfromthePontdesArtes.jpg

I may be poor.. and about to be in even more poordom.

But.. I'm going to WIMBLEDON! And putting it on my credit card.

It is my Mecca.. and I'm there.

Might I suggest Ibiza? Best place in Europe to get really drunk, lose all your stuff, and wake up in somebody else's bed. Have fun!!!

dot_matrix1.jpg

Personally, these types of people drive me nuts. My ex was all against me studying abroad, saying it was a stupid idea, not worth it. I ended up dumping him not long afterwards. If you want to go, he should be supportive of it. Besides, if he's in summer school, you won't be able to see him all teh time anyway. And the time apart will make your time together much more precious.It's your life, live it the way you want, not do what someone else tells you to do.

Sorry if this is a little heated, but I'm having a similar thing with a friend who won't go anywhere because her boyfriend doesn't like the idea of her going out without him there. Drives me nuts.

I wish I could go to Europe again, but unfortunately I have no time or money to do so. I would definitely recommend Italy, Santorini, and small towns in France or Italy. I feel that it's in the small towns that you get the best feel of what the country is actually like, without the touristy distractions.

Personally, these types of people drive me nuts. My ex was all against me studying abroad, saying it was a stupid idea, not worth it. I ended up dumping him not long afterwards. If you want to go, he should be supportive of it. Besides, if he's in summer school, you won't be able to see him all teh time anyway. And the time apart will make your time together much more precious.It's your life, live it the way you want, not do what someone else tells you to do.

Sorry if this is a little heated, but I'm having a similar thing with a friend who won't go anywhere because her boyfriend doesn't like the idea of her going out without him there. Drives me nuts.
I agree, SOs like that drive me nuts too. A friend of mine has a husband like that. She stood up to him and studied abroad in France for 6 weeks and loved it. I would say do what's going to make you happy and don't let yourself be limited by your SO. Relationships come and go. Ultimately what's important in life is that you personally are happy and have as few regrets as possible.

Nope, I'm taking my girlfriend with me and I am actually going to propose while in Paris.

To be specific, I'm going to do it here (the Pont des Arts bridge):

OMG if you propose to your GF in Paris you will be the third person I know (well I guess I know of) that has proposed or been proposed to in Paris. Two of my friends were proposed to in Paris by their SOs (now husband for one and fiancee for the other). I mean I liked Paris and all when I went but didn't realize that was the place to be proposed to.

OMG if you propose to your GF in Paris you will be the third person I know (well I guess I know of) that has proposed or been proposed to in Paris. Two of my friends were proposed to in Paris by their SOs (now husband for one and fiancee for the other). I mean I liked Paris and all when I went but didn't realize that was the place to be proposed to.
you better be suspicious if the bf out of the blue plans a paris trip for the two of you.

you better be suspicious if the bf out of the blue plans a paris trip for the two of you.

a) I don't have a bf
b) If I did, and he did propose to me in Paris I would say "no, try again" because that means he doesn't know me at all.
c) the end.

What's funny is I've been insisting Holly accompany me to the conference for quite some time now and she hasn't caught on to why..... :laugh:

Ah yes, Europe.

I'd recommend to stay away from england, (very boring)
My personal favorite was switzerland, (Zurich baby). Amsterdam is also a great time. Oh and Italy. France will likely be a favorite for the ladies.

haha, I've been to europe many times, I'm going to start exploring the US:laugh:

I left my bf for Puerto Rico for what was supposed to be 3 months. A sort of dream to be fluent in Spanish and I couldn't take it. I left after 6 weeks and although I'm still obsessed with Spanish, I have no desire to travel alone to a Spanish-speaking country again EVER. The whole thing about speaking the language to people in other countries to not seem like the ugly American... doesn't work in Puerto Rico. The hassle of planning a trip, finding where to go, getting lost, getting cat calls, getting ugly/undressing stares, and paying buttloads just doesn't appeal to me anymore. I also came home with a bonafide stalker. Huh, yay fun.

Ah yes, Europe.

I'd recommend to stay away from england, (very boring)
My personal favorite was switzerland, (Zurich baby). Amsterdam is also a great time. Oh and Italy. France will likely be a favorite for the ladies.

haha, I've been to europe many times, I'm going to start exploring the US:laugh:

I studied abroad in London, and i can tell you it's definitely NOT boring :)

I really can't stand when people say this, I was in Europe for 3 months last summer, including Paris. Before I went I was told by many that I should avoid Paris because they hate Americans. I am so happy that I paid these idiots no mind. Paris was filled with the most friendly and helpful people of all the countries and cities that I visited. The reason that this idea of the "stuck-up frenchman" continues to exist is because of the way that many American tourists act when they are in Europe. I am from Ohio, if someone were to walk right up to me and start speaking spanish, expecting that since spanish is almost a second language in the US that I should pander to them and answer in spanish, it would anger me. People walk into french places of business and start conversations in english, that is what pisses them off, its disrespectful, you don't have to be fluent, I wasn't, but I tried. I stumbled through asking for directions and when people saw that I was having trouble they would give me the directions in english, it was important to them that I at least tried to speak french, I respected the country and their language, and they were great to me. This "we're americans, speak english to us" idea is propagated by clueless *****s who go over and make a complete idiot of themselves because they put no effort into respecting where they are.

However, he is right about prague, it's amazing. Go there, get a 4 course meal for like 10 bucks american, get hammered for under 5, and try to smuggle home a bottle of Absinthe.

Would a frenchmen trash your country in front of you? maybe not, but I travel in europe with a backpack that has a canadian flag on it.

Would a frenchmen trash your country in front of you? maybe not, but I travel in europe with a backpack that has a canadian flag on it.

I studied abroad in Paris, and nobody eveer treated me any different. I was in a special program for international students, and we had some interesting discussions with the other students, as well as random French people we met. Honestly, I thought it was amazing how much other people know about our government, more than some people from the US. And I remember I saw that Michael Moore movie (Fahrenheit 9/11 I think it was called?) and the reaction from the theater was that Bush is an idiot. Of course, my friends who saw it back home in NY said their theaters had the same reaction.

I studied abroad in Paris, and nobody eveer treated me any different. I was in a special program for international students, and we had some interesting discussions with the other students, as well as random French people we met. Honestly, I thought it was amazing how much other people know about our government, more than some people from the US. And I remember I saw that Michael Moore movie (Fahrenheit 9/11 I think it was called?) and the reaction from the theater was that Bush is an idiot. Of course, my friends who saw it back home in NY said their theaters had the same reaction.

I'm pretty sure you didn't hear much of what they were saying about you behind your back.

Well, I WAS planning on going for about 5 weeks but my boss dropped a bomb on me today that I had to stay on board until the end of June so it looks like Europe will only be graced with my presence for 3 weeks...boo:thumbdown: That cuts out a lot of places on my list including Greece. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Ok, so let's say I want to visit 4-5 cities in or close to germany.. what would you guys suggest? yes, fun places, not places that have excellent tea or something like that.

I'm pretty sure you didn't hear much of what they were saying about you behind your back.
Well, if you think Bush is an idiot too and are willing to admit it, you generally get along fine in most other parts of the world outside of the US.

I studied abroad in London, and i can tell you it's definitely NOT boring :)

I've been all over the world, compared to other places I've been too, england is boring as hell. If thats the only place you've been to outside the states, then yeah you'll think its amazing:rolleyes:. All my american friends here think that its this amazing place lol...

I've been all over the world, compared to other places I've been too, england is boring as hell. If thats the only place you've been to outside the states, then yeah you'll think its amazing:rolleyes:. All my american friends here think that its this amazing place lol...
I've been to most of the countries in Europe, and a couple elsewhere, and I think England was still a great place to visit. But then again I didn't go over looking for an awesome night life either so my opinion is a little skewed.

I'm sure anywhere in the world could be classified as 'boring' if you don't take the initiative to make it fun and find things to do. I lived in England for a year (and yes, I've been 'all over the world' too) and found it far from boring.

Maybe it's not for you, but I wouldn't try to dissuade people from going there. It's far from the only place I've been to outside of the US, and I still think it's AMAZING!!!:D

I am going to Paris and London in April for two weeks and am so excited. I never got to travel in undergrad because I was, well...always studying or taking classes! I think everyone who is starting med school next year needs a vacation, so everyone take one. Oh and make sure to post good stories about your adventures when you get back!

I'm going to Europe for almost 2 months and I can't wait!

I'm just going to buy a Eurail Global Pass and hit up as many countries as I can!

I am also planning on buying a couple flights to go to Greece and Ireland.