Who approves the "Science vs. Non Science"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daydream46

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm annoyed with my health advisor saying that some classes i KNOW should count as biology (because they are offered by the bio dept, and have bio topics taught) but she thinks its more of a sociology class because it also deals with ethics (but we had to learn intricate procedures for cloning ect.... it wasn't just like is cloning right)

I called AADSAS, and they said its a bio, but i know if the school has to sign off on things like that, they won't, she was dead set against it being a science class at all, I told her what AADSAS said, and she was like "oh, well put what you think then"

So does AADSAS just look at your transcript an approve these, or do they have the school do it (because i know she wont)?

Members don't see this ad.

AADSAS will do the verifying. I was told by my school that certain classes wouldn't count towards BCP gpa, but after submitting my transcripts to AADSAS, certain classes were counted as science that I didn't think were going to be. Helped my GPA out a tad.
Don't worry about what your advisor says... obviously she doesn't know.

I'm annoyed with my health advisor saying that some classes i KNOW should count as biology (because they are offered by the bio dept, and have bio topics taught) but she thinks its more of a sociology class because it also deals with ethics (but we had to learn intricate procedures for cloning ect.... it wasn't just like is cloning right)

I called AADSAS, and they said its a bio, but i know if the school has to sign off on things like that, they won't, she was dead set against it being a science class at all, I told her what AADSAS said, and she was like "oh, well put what you think then"

So does AADSAS just look at your transcript an approve these, or do they have the school do it (because i know she wont)?

Doesn't matter what your advisor thinks. AADSAS has the final say in whether the class is science or non-science.

You just put down whatever category you think it may fall under, and AADSAS may choose to agree with you or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
AADSAS will do the verifying. I was told by my school that certain classes wouldn't count towards BCP gpa, but after submitting my transcripts to AADSAS, certain classes were counted as science that I didn't think were going to be. Helped my GPA out a tad.
Don't worry about what your advisor says... obviously she doesn't know.

Awesome.. those classes you has counted at science (that surprised you).... did you originally count them as science... or did they change them from non-science to science?

My wine class is offered by the "agricultural & environmental biology" dept.... so it could be a bio, other science, or non-science... i see validity in all...

I dont want to put it as a bio and have them not approve it, because apparently if you do they will mark it and dental schools will see it, and that could look bad...

Also my transcripts dont have prefixes (see my post below) so I am not sure how to specify what department offers it... otherwise you just see "wine insights", which i assume would get laughed at as a bio

Awesome.. those classes you has counted at science (that surprised you).... did you originally count them as science... or did they change them from non-science to science?

My wine class is offered by the "agricultural & environmental biology" dept.... so it could be a bio, other science, or non-science... i see validity in all...

I dont want to put it as a bio and have them not approve it, because apparently if you do they will mark it and dental schools will see it, and that could look bad...

Also my transcripts dont have prefixes (see my post below) so I am not sure how to specify what department offers it... otherwise you just see "wine insights", which i assume would get laughed at as a bio

The classes that were considered BCP were classes given by the Bio department but I was told would not count towards BCP GPA. I put them as "Non-science" but AADSAS changed them to BIOLOGY for me afterwards. I was also told that Math would not count for Science GPA credit on AADSAS but I thought that was dumb so I put them under "Other science". They were approved by AADSAS.

If it were me I would put your wine biology class as "Other science". Then wait and see what happens.

Yeah... I think calling a 'wine' class biology would be a bit of a stretch. I agree with the 'other science' classification.

Yeah... I think calling a 'wine' class biology would be a bit of a stretch. I agree with the 'other science' classification.

I think so too.. but i actually went back and checked what it was under... and its: "environmental and biological sciences" (not agricultural, sorry) which is actually a diff. dept then the "biology" dept.

My school TOTALLY blows with they way the transcripts work.

I bet if they would put the prefixes on the darn transcripts it would help AADSAS understand where I am coming from

Just because a class is offered by the biology dept dosnt neccessarily mean that it is a bio class.

along with all my bio courses i also took research, would they count towards science?

i am putting "ethics in science and engineering" offered by engineering department as NON-SCIENCE. Not sure if I am doing the right thing...