Who are you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc Andy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm wondering how people are approaching answering the question, "Who are you?" It seems like a pretty common one. It's similar to "tell me about yourself," but a slightly different tone being that is more about personal identity than activities and background. So how have you guys approached it?

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm wondering how people are approaching answering the question, "Who are you?" It seems like a pretty common one. It's similar to "tell me about yourself," but a slightly different tone being that is more about personal identity than activities and background. So how have you guys approached it?
Jesus Christ.....grow a spine and think up your own answers. :rolleyes:

I'm, um, not looking for an answer. I'm looking for the approach. Hence why I used the term "approach." Are you approaching it like "these are my values" or are you approaching it the same way as a "tell me about yourself?"

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm, um, not looking for an answer. I'm looking for the approach. Hence why I used the term "approach." Are you approaching it like "these are my values" or are you approaching it the same way as a "tell me about yourself?"
If you can't define yourself, then perhaps you need to grow up more before trying to get yourself in a position that requires maturity, presence of mind and an ability to think in a non-linear fashion.

Just answer them with anything. It looks worse if you mumble along saying nothing coherent than if you said anything. They aren't looking for you to give a philosophical answer as if you were Desmond Tutu.

I don't think my ability to define myself with words has anything to do with my maturity. My actions define my maturity. Thanks for adding the insult to your unhelpful response. Nice example of how to carry and define oneself. I hope all 544 of your posts are as useful as these last two Dienekes.

I don't think my ability to define myself with words has anything to do with my maturity. My actions define my maturity. Thanks for adding the insult to your unhelpful response. Nice example of how to carry and define oneself.
Well, I'd rather be slightly insulting to you than have to be so vapid that I can't answer my a simple request to describe myself without having someone hold my hand through it.

I hope all 544 of your posts are as useful as these last two Dienekes.

I try to be helpful when someone is not simply trying to shirk responsibilities. That is precisely what you were doing.

I don't think my ability to define myself with words has anything to do with my maturity. My actions define my maturity. Thanks for adding the insult to your unhelpful response. Nice example of how to carry and define oneself. I hope all 544 of your posts are as useful as these last two Dienekes.

You could start out by defining yourself from your life experiences. I am a person who has seen (*) and learned (**) from the experience of (*). You can use the type of area you grew up and any adversity you faced as defining yourself as well. When on the spot this is a nasty question to answer.

Then don't respond! That's your opinion. I hate how so many people think they're above it all and come here and post insults to people. It happens all the time. Pass over it if you're so amazing. Maybe someone who thinks the question is valid will answer. Sorry for stepping foot onto your sacred ground that is student doctor message boards, where every question is a new and insightful take on life and existence. Now please go to every thread that's titled "how do i explain a bad grade?" "how do i explain a low MCAT?" "how do i explain......" and start ripping on those people too. Then you can get your post count up and really show those spineless bastards.

If you can describe yourself in words, then you aren't much worth describing.

muhaha.

You could start out by defining yourself from your life exxperiences. I am a person who has seen (*) and learned (**) from the experience of (*). You can use the type of area you grew up and any adversity you faced as defining yourself as well. When on the spot this is a nasty question to answer.

Thank you for your take on the issue. My problem is that I can answer the "so tell me about yourself" question rather easily because it is conversational. "Well i grew up in a family that was big on....." "and I'm really into....." but the "who are you" seems more like a values question like I said before. So, I'm wondering if anyone's taken that route and gone really deep with it or just made it conversational as well. And how interviewers have responded to either type. It's not my inability to define myself, it's the style in which I do it that is important during the interview, and I want to know what people's experiences have been.

Then don't respond! That's your opinion. I hate how so many people think they're above it all and come here and post insults to people. It happens all the time. Pass over it if you're so amazing. Maybe someone who thinks the question is valid will answer. Sorry for stepping foot onto your sacred ground that is student doctor message boards, where every question is a new and insightful take on life and existence. Now please go to every thread that's titled "how do i explain a bad grade?" "how do i explain a low MCAT?" "how do i explain......" and start ripping on those people too. Then you can get your post count up and really show those spineless bastards.
Nice....you can come up with that, but you couldn't describe yourself. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep it conversational. There is no definite answer for a question like that. The meaning of it is that they want to know how you can describe yourself from your life, and if you want to talk about your values, you can. But please keep it longer than a few statements. If you can provide a story behind how you define yourself, the better.

If you can't define yourself, then perhaps you need to grow up more before trying to get yourself in a position that requires maturity, presence of mind and an ability to think in a non-linear fashion.
What the hell are you anyway? Are you an ADCOM member who's life is so empty he spends his nights on SDN insulting premeds, or just the most pompous premed on the freakin' planet?

What the hell are you anyway? Are you an ADCOM member who's life is so empty he spends his nights on SDN insulting premeds, or just the most pompous premed on the freakin' planet?

Stop premed on premed brutality!!!

I am the walrus.

Geez ppl, give the guy a break...imo, it's a pretty bad question b/c people shouldn't have to come to interviews with prepared answers of who they are ..i think it's better for an interviewer to better understand a person by asking them about their experiences, thoughts on issues, etc...but anyways, if i was asked that...i'd tell them that i went to UT-Austin, am a couple of yrs out of college, worked as an engineer for a bit, then started working in a research lab after quitting that job .aside from work, id then tell them about what interests me(music, sports)...they can then fill in the gaps if they choose to and ask me why i switched from engineering, or what type of music i like..etc....hope that helps and don't worry about the nasty responses from some of the others...gluck! :thumbup:

who are you?

i know, i know... i completely agree and cannot WAIT to be classmates with some of these stellar individuals:rolleyes:

i approach this question by first thinking about what i define people by, and i define people by what they are passionate about. so i answer this question by addressing my passions (which include much more than just medicine).

I am Batman.

(And then throw a smoke bomb on the ground and whisk away in your dark cape)