Who can read this:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
AlreadyInDebt said:
:laugh: Awesome! Wonton... you kill me, blade! :laugh:

Nice! Always happen to entertain and amuse. :)

Members don't see this ad.

canada said:
to clarify, you're cantonese but know taiwanese?

no, all i said is i know it sounds like chicken squawk. more bad karma please.

immunoant said:
Newquamire, uhhhh.... what is TAS? I guess that answer your question (no). But I do think I ran into you when interviewing at PENN.
PS. do you like peanut butter?

only asked cause i know a hot girl from TAS :laugh:

whoa, how'd you know? i puked twice at my host's, and they placed me there again for the revisit (i hope you're not reading this). *insert fuzzy memory of luncheon here* were you sitting across from me? the only other asian person i remember there was a viet who's going to HMS :eek:

Blade28 said:
Hey, a fellow Honker! Nice!

But...your name...Kal Bi?...like the Korean food...so confused... :confused:
I've thought of Mongolian Beef, but then it's too long and plus CalBeE resembles my name more.;)

BTW, I was born in India...I could have called myself Curry Beef...but then it's not as cool sounding as CalBeE

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Mackaikai.

We graduated from the same school, same year! I'm not Taiwanese but most of my friends from San Diego are. Hell, we might even know the same people.

Vogelsang

does it count that im a korean boy who can read some of the characters?
:laugh:

jlee9531 said:
does it count that im a korean boy who can read some of the characters?
:laugh:
Oh yea...Totoro is a Japanese character...what's up with that huh? :p

Newquagmire said:
only asked cause i know a hot girl from TAS :laugh:

whoa, how'd you know? i puked twice at my host's, and they placed me there again for the revisit (i hope you're not reading this). *insert fuzzy memory of luncheon here* were you sitting across from me? the only other asian person i remember there was a viet who's going to HMS :eek:

:eek: hah hah hah .... i thought you were a guy. after interview, we were taken to see a jazz concert in the philadelphia museum, and one guy (who fits your profile/attitude) somehow/somewhere ate a piece of peanut and ended up puking. last time i checked up on him he was hanging his head on top of a trash can (poor guy). so that wasn't you????? :confused: and to clarify, i'm taiwanese and definitely not going to HMS.

CORRECTION:
Newquagmire, you are that poor guy.....

CalBeE said:
Oh yea...Totoro is a Japanese character...what's up with that huh? :p
i love and respect all Asian groups. haha

Japanese technology, Taiwanese girls, Korean culture, Chinese politics...everything :D

ImmunoANT said:
CORRECTION:
Newquagmire, you are that poor guy.....

:laugh: :laugh:

Thanks for pointing it out for all of SDN to see. ;) I have so many stories from med school interviews it's unbelievable I got into any at all.

Case in point: I missed my flight (and half my interviews) and caught a later one to UTSW.

ImmunoANT said:
to clarify, i'm taiwanese and definitely not going to HMS.

and the part about you being male doesn't match either.

maybe i just have a penchant for remembering the ladies :p

Newquagmire said:
:laugh: :laugh:

Thanks for pointing it out for all of SDN to see. ;) I have so many stories from med school interviews it's unbelievable I got into any at all.

Case in point: I missed my flight (and half my interviews) and caught a later one to UTSW.

well, then you should know who i am. excluding the gilrs and two other white guys, then there was me. :)

ImmunoANT said:
well, then you should know who i am. excluding the gilrs and two other white guys, then there was me. :)

was the hms girl from houston?

Members don't see this ad :)
exmike said:

there was a african american girl from harvard who interviewed w/ me, funny girl. am not sure if she's from houston.

exmike said:

dunno. but she lurks, so maybe she'll speak up.

story #2: the first thing she said when i met her walking down a street in broad daylight was "hey, are you newquagmire?" guess i act the same in reality as i do in binary code.

am seriously thinking of it (but on the other hand, spain/france is also very tempting too...) I'm from 台中縣, how about u guys? SDN party in Taiwain? cooooool ....

I'm have family in Shin Chuang. Its about 30 mins from Taipei. I'm thinking about partying it up there, and also maybe hit up Japan and Korea as part of my trip with a couple buddies. Hopefully, its not too late to visit your roots and embrace the fobbiness... :thumbup: . It should be fun.

Ah, TAS. Famous for turning out idols like B.A.D. My ex-roomate is now some tv drama star in Taiwan. Shoulda got his autograph so I can auction it on ebay to the fangirls.

My family is from Kaoshiung so we speak a very thick Taiwanese. It kinda makes us sound unsophisticated. It also carries into our mandarin so when we refer to "other people" we say "len jia" which is usually something girls say when they are flirting with boys. Very hard habit to break. We also end every sentance with "ah, eh and etc."

If there's gonna be a SDN party, it's gotta be at Taipei because face it, everybody stops by at Taipei when they visit Taiwan.

pekq said:
Very hard habit to break. We also end every sentance with "ah, eh and etc."

IS THAT WHY I ALWAYS DO THAT?!?

I've been wondering why I do that. Now it makes sense.

exmike said:
IS THAT WHY I ALWAYS DO THAT?!?

I've been wondering why I do that. Now it makes sense.

Welcome to the club. I am sure we get ridiculed by mainlanders behind our back for this. But Taiwanese taxi drivers are cool and they all talk like that so it's all good :)

Anyone here who knows what it takes to get into a medical school in Taiwan,
especially if you are applying from overseas?

pekq said:
Ah, TAS. Famous for turning out idols like B.A.D. My ex-roomate is now some tv drama star in Taiwan. Shoulda got his autograph so I can auction it on ebay to the fangirls.

My family is from Kaoshiung so we speak a very thick Taiwanese. It kinda makes us sound unsophisticated. It also carries into our mandarin so when we refer to "other people" we say "len jia" which is usually something girls say when they are flirting with boys. Very hard habit to break. We also end every sentance with "ah, eh and etc."

If there's gonna be a SDN party, it's gotta be at Taipei because face it, everybody stops by at Taipei when they visit Taiwan.

It's cool to see some ppl on this forum from Taiwan :) All of my relatives except for a few live in Taiwan - my dad's family lives in Taichung & my mom's family lives in Kaosiung. Those are the only places I visit whenever I go back...never been to Taipei :( That's definitely something on my to-do list.

I agree w/Canada & sunkist ..meeting someone who can speak Taiwanese sure makes the conversation more interesting :p I wish more people at UT spoke it, I only know of a couple that do (mainly graduate students and some alumni).

I personally think Taiwanese sounds funny hehe. Not good for songs :/ I think Chinese & Japanese are the best sounding languages when it comes to music.

Here's a phrase for u guys to decode: Wa eh badoh zuh yow eh! Li gah oo mingia hoh wa jia? Duh xia! Haha my taiwanese pinyin(?) sucks :laugh:

longhornjas said:
I personally think Taiwanese sounds funny hehe. Not good for songs :/ I think Chinese & Japanese are the best sounding languages when it comes to music.
Actually, imho, Mandarin is a bit too nasal-sounding to suit a wide variety of music. It works wonders with syrupy love songs, but it does not go as well with faster, more rhythmic songs or rap (relative to other languages). This deficit is even more apparent in Cantonese...

Japanese, on the other hand, is fairly versatile.

longhornjas said:
It's cool to see some ppl on this forum from Taiwan :) All of my relatives except for a few live in Taiwan - my dad's family lives in Taichung & my mom's family lives in Kaosiung. Those are the only places I visit whenever I go back...never been to Taipei :( That's definitely something on my to-do list.

I agree w/Canada & sunkist ..meeting someone who can speak Taiwanese sure makes the conversation more interesting :p I wish more people at UT spoke it, I only know of a couple that do (mainly graduate students and some alumni).

Here's a phrase for u guys to decode: Wa eh badoh zuh yow eh! Li gah oo mingia hoh wa jia? Duh xia! Haha my taiwanese pinyin(?) sucks :laugh:

I'll take advantage of this thread's resurrection and karma's nonfunctioning to say go China (the real china) :p

longhornjas, some korean hip hop sounds really super smooth.

Newquagmire said:
I'll take advantage of this thread's resurrection and karma's nonfunctioning to say go China (the real china) :p

longhornjas, some korean hip hop sounds really super smooth.

There is a fake china?

VCMM414 said:
Actually, imho, Mandarin is a bit too nasal-sounding to suit a wide variety of music. It works wonders with syrupy love songs, but it does not go as well with faster, more rhythmic songs or rap (relative to other languages). This deficit is even more apparent in Cantonese...

Japanese, on the other hand, is fairly versatile.

Some of Jay Chou's music includes rap :p Most of his songs are pretty rhythmic too...but then his style is pretty unique compared to traditional Mandarin music.

longhornjas said:

My stomach is hungry~ Do you have anything for me to eat. Thanks for your help. ;)

Al Pacino said:
My stomach is hungry~ Do you have anything for me to eat. Thanks for your help. ;)

Not bad.........................

longhornjas said:
Some of Jay Chou's music includes rap :p Most of his songs are pretty rhythmic too...but then his style is pretty unique compared to traditional Mandarin music.

Jay Chou is so... so awesome
:love:

hamhamfan said:
Jay Chou is so... so awesome
:love:

yeah he's the friggin man. i wish i was jay chou. then i wouldnt have to go to med school to get girls :p

exmike said:
There is a fake china?

yeah, the island called taiwan. jay chou slurs his words. there was a Time article (asia version) on him a while back...

I like Jay Chou too...but he always wear weird shoes to award ceremonies...2 out of the 14 MP3's on my player that I listen to when I go jogging are Jay Chou

haha UT austin has some taiwanese speaking groups. TASA is cool i think, though i've never been. i'm in chinese bible study and there are a handful of people who speak taiwanese. and whats cool is that they're not FOBs! haha. we all learned taiwanese in the states.

my bud is the president of TASA at UT, i think

Newquagmire said:
yeah, the island called taiwan. jay chou slurs his words. there was a Time article (asia version) on him a while back...
Taiwan isnt China, so how could there be a fake one? Taiwan is Taiwan, China is China.

Yes, jay chous slurs his words. i noticed that. maybe he has a speech impediment.

exmike said:
Taiwan isnt China, so how could there be a fake one? Taiwan is Taiwan, China is China.

Yes, jay chous slurs his words. i noticed that. maybe he has a speech impediment.

isn't the official name of taiwan still the "republic of china?"

dunno about a speech impediment, but the Time magazine article mentioned something about his elementary school teachers thinking he needed "special" attention.

i think my friend from washu made you ut-austin folks a program brochure earlier this year (she's really good at digital imaging).

exmike, you're asian!? I never knew...hahah cool.

I'm Chinese, my parents are from Taiwan but I don't know taiwanese nor do I call myself taiwanese...I'm not sure about the politics of it all but my grandparents came from China so...oh well

wow so many chinese peeps. I'm going to Indiana University (kinda obvious from my signature) but I'm trying to enjoy my last few months in CA as much as I can.

to the OP, you went to La Jolla for high school? Did you know Leslie Hsu?

Newquagmire said:
isn't the official name of taiwan still the "republic of china?"

dunno about a speech impediment, but the Time magazine article mentioned something about his elementary school teachers thinking he needed "special" attention.

i think my friend from washu made you ut-austin folks a program brochure earlier this year (she's really good at digital imaging).

Ah.. dont want to get into politics on this board. "Republic of China" is outdated. Noone says that anymore. In fact theyre moving towards dropping that off the official name of Taiwan.

My family in Taiwan dates back hundreds of years, so we have a different vantage point than the "ROC" people.

NDESTRKT - yeah i'll be right next to you over in Ohio at case western. Looks like i'll be away from cali for another four years. no more 99 ranch!

exmike said:
Ah.. dont want to get into politics on this board. "Republic of China" is outdated. Noone says that anymore. In fact theyre moving towards dropping that off the official name of Taiwan.

My family in Taiwan dates back hundreds of years, so we have a different vantage point than the "ROC" people.

outdated, perhaps, but it's still official. good luck averting nuclear war.

i hear the natives didn't really care for the nationalists either *shrug*

Newquagmire said:
outdated, perhaps, but it's still official. good luck averting nuclear war.

i hear the natives didn't really care for the nationalists either *shrug*

Noone likes the nationalists. There cant be nuclear war, taiwan doesnt have nukes :p

exmike said:
There cant be nuclear war, taiwan doesnt have nukes :p
Good call

As for 99 Ranch, there IS actually one east of the mississippi. In Atlanta, of all places.

exmike said:

NDESTRKT - yeah i'll be right next to you over in Ohio at case western. Looks like i'll be away from cali for another four years. no more 99 ranch!

oh man what'll i do without 99 ranch! haha jk. i actually grew up in indiana and went to high school there. my parents moved to san diego whilst i was in college but man...the breaks in CA have been the bomb and working in LA has too...i'm gonna miss my friends here.

i thought calbee was korean too - like the meat haha how funny.

NDESTRUKT said:
oh man what'll i do without 99 ranch! haha jk. i actually grew up in indiana and went to high school there. my parents moved to san diego whilst i was in college but man...the breaks in CA have been the bomb and working in LA has too...i'm gonna miss my friends here.

i thought calbee was korean too - like the meat haha how funny.
I get that alot...but there's reason why I chose the name "CalBeE". ;)

And actually there is a small Asian Population in Atlanta, so that's why Ranch 99 will actually make a profit there.

CalBeE said:
I get that alot...but there's reason why I chose the name "CalBeE". ;)

And actually there is a small Asian Population in Atlanta, so that's why Ranch 99 will actually make a profit there.

sorry. nuclear massacre.

there's small asian populations everywhere, including rural indiana. so why is ranch 99 in atlanta?!

Newquagmire said:
sorry. nuclear massacre.

there's small asian populations everywhere, including rural indiana. so why is ranch 99 in atlanta?!
Small but large enough to have a Ranch 99...obviously ;)

exmike said:
"Republic of China" is outdated. Noone says that anymore. In fact theyre moving towards dropping that off the official name of Taiwan.

You sure do.

CalBeE said:
Small but large enough to have a Ranch 99...obviously ;)

wow, there really is a 99 ranch in atlanta?

Newquagmire said:
sorry. nuclear massacre.

when i went to high school in indiana, i had NO asian friends. In fact I knew maybe 2 asians. i didn't date any asian girls...i mean i had the idea that asian girls weren't pretty at all.

then i moved to california, and my life changed drastically after that ;) (but my gf is still white lol)

NDESTRUKT said:
when i went to high school in indiana, i had NO asian friends. In fact I knew maybe 2 asians. i didn't date any asian girls...i mean i had the idea that asian girls weren't pretty at all.

then i moved to california, and my life changed drastically after that ;) (but my gf is still white lol)

i'm sorry, i missed the point. :confused: congrats on your return to corn country =)

Newquagmire said:
i'm sorry, i missed the point. :confused: congrats on your return to corn country =)

i guess my point was that you're wrong. haha j/k. i guess i didnt' really have a point, just extending your post? hmmm...

yeah i'm so freakin' excited about going back to the hoosier state. trust me, it would not be so without some kind of monetary incentive and even then it was a tough decision.