mackaikai

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2002
474
0
Status
Attending Physician
are there any Taiwanese/Chinese here on SDN? :p
which medical school are you heading to this summer? :)

:clap:
 

Catalyst

Enjoying Life
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2002
604
1
MD/NYC
Status
nah sorry man, can't see the characters...

heading to Mount Sinai (90%) or Pitt
 
About the Ads

Mr Reddly

Snowglobe!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2004
900
2
Still trying
Visit site
Status
mackaikai said:
are there any Taiwanese/Chinese here on SDN? :p
which medical school are you heading to this summer? :)

:clap:
That's actually making me curious.

I wonder if everybody can see my signature or if there are some people who only see boxes instead of my heart and rainbow since it too is via special characters.
 

CalBeE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2003
2,062
1
Visit site
Status
Mr Reddly said:
That's actually making me curious.

I wonder if everybody can see my signature or if there are some people who only see boxes instead of my heart and rainbow since it too is via special characters.
I only see tons of color boxes....

BTW, mackaikai, you'll be accused by Beijing of being a separatist if they see it...you know how sensitive they can be ;)
 

dabenxiong

Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2002
77
0
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Probably going to NYU. The characters say "I am Taiwanese", right?
 

ImmunoANT

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2003
208
0
Philly
Visit site
Status
Possibly UPENN for MSTP (still debating among some other schools). You 台北人 啊 ? Where you are going?
 

canada

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2004
91
1
Visit site
Status
hey, add another one here. dunno where i'm off to though yet.

TAIWAN RULES.

wa mm si duong gok lang!!!!!!!
 
About the Ads

Lochmoor

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2003
215
0
Austin, TX
Visit site
Status
I'm Taiwanese too.....but I can't read what you wrote I'm a bad Taiwanese kid.....but my excuse is that I grew up in a small town in Iowa where pretty much the only other Asians were my mom, dad and sisters.

As of now I'll be going to Univ. of Iowa.

Best,
Lochmoor
 

lilstina

diamond sweetpea
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2003
3,618
0
39
texas
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
me :)

but i cant read the chars because i dont have asian fonts downloaded on my work computer... and my chinese is terrible anyway :oops:

starting med school in tx in a couple months...
 

mackaikai

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2002
474
0
Status
Attending Physician
this is sooo cool :) i wasn't expecting that many Chinese (well, understand Chinese) here on SDN :p
 
3

39094

Well, I'm a white boy but I lived in Taiwan for many years, does that count?;)

I was back there again this summer, man was it hot!

I've been all over but consider Chiayi my "home" as it were. I have tons of friends there.

I've got Mandarin down, but I'm still working on my Taiwanese......

li gong tai gee wah tieh bwo....

:D
 

mackaikai

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2002
474
0
Status
Attending Physician
getianshi said:
Well, I'm a white boy but I lived in Taiwan for many years, does that count?;)

I was back there again this summer, man was it hot!

I've been all over but consider Chiayi my "home" as it were. I have tons of friends there.

I've got Mandarin down, but I'm still working on my Taiwanese......

li gong tai gee wah tieh bwo....

:D

getianshi, of course you count as a Taiwanese too :) you rock :D
 

canada

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2004
91
1
Visit site
Status
getianshi said:
Well, I'm a white boy but I lived in Taiwan for many years, does that count?;)

I was back there again this summer, man was it hot!

I've been all over but consider Chiayi my "home" as it were. I have tons of friends there.

I've got Mandarin down, but I'm still working on my Taiwanese......

li gong tai gee wah tieh bwo....

:D
lee eh dai gee i geeng gong leow be bai.

keep it up, i find taiwanese the best language. it's so sincere. even if a stranger speaks taiwanese, they automatically become my friend! haha, it's really quite something. a very familial feeling.

Where are all you taiwanese going?!?! i wanna go to a school with a greater taiwanese population.....or at least to a city/area with a greater taiwanese population.
 

Newquagmire

15+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2002
1,273
3
canada said:
keep it up, i find taiwanese the best language. it's so sincere. even if a stranger speaks taiwanese, they automatically become my friend! haha, it's really quite something. a very familial feeling.
it sounds like chicken squawk. bad karma here i come.
 
About the Ads

sunkists

im a fatty
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2003
176
0
Status
hahah wow. taiwanese people are so cool. i am reminded of fun and warm feelings... having grown up in a small taiwanese presbyterian church.

and yes -- about people who speak taiwanese automatically becoming your friend -- i hear ya.

houston has a biggg taiwanese scene. i think dallas does too if you're talking about texas. i know cali is taiwanese up the wazoo -- especially cities like san jose and cupertino area.

i love the taiwanese language but i think if i were to think objectively about it -- i think its pretty ugly sounding? :) its strikes me as more of a conversational/sarcastic/jovial/mocking language than an eloquent one.

dai geh huh, gwa eh mia shi yep-jet-shieng. lin ji ma ki dweh ji kiung dai hak?
 

lilstina

diamond sweetpea
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2003
3,618
0
39
texas
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
getianshi said:
Well, I'm a white boy but I lived in Taiwan for many years, does that count?;)

I was back there again this summer, man was it hot!

I've been all over but consider Chiayi my "home" as it were. I have tons of friends there.

I've got Mandarin down, but I'm still working on my Taiwanese......

li gong tai gee wah tieh bwo....

:D
:laugh:

i think this is the one line of taiwanese i could decipher on the board... and im not even sure i got it right. probably one of the few things i can actually say also haha.

my mom and her family grew up in chiayi... they still have a house there :)
 

Amy B

I miss my son so much
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2000
4,303
3
Virginia
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Weird all I see is little empty squares and Mr Reddly, all I can see is a colorful bar of squares. Do you all have magical powers in your computers?
 

CalBeE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2003
2,062
1
Visit site
Status
getianshi said:
Well, I'm a white boy but I lived in Taiwan for many years, does that count?;)

I was back there again this summer, man was it hot!

I've been all over but consider Chiayi my "home" as it were. I have tons of friends there.

I've got Mandarin down, but I'm still working on my Taiwanese......

li gong tai gee wah tieh bwo....

:D
There's a white guy at my school that grew up in Japan, so his first language is Japanese...He speaks English with a Japanese accent...kinda interesting if you ask me ;)
 

sunkists

im a fatty
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2003
176
0
Status
haha i learned english when i was 6. (too bad i was born here... still had to take ESL) and so for like 5 years after - i had a fob accent to my english too. how unfortunate. i think i'm ok now though. maybe.
 

canada

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2004
91
1
Visit site
Status
lilstina said:
:laugh:

i think this is the one line of taiwanese i could decipher on the board... and im not even sure i got it right. probably one of the few things i can actually say also haha.

my mom and her family grew up in chiayi... they still have a house there :)
ya i'm fluent in taiwanese but it also takes a while to read what others have to say in their own romanized forms....hahahaha.


and to Newquagmire, my post was an opinion, that's the way i feel and it seems like others may share the same feeling. how can u say it's chicken swat if u don't know it? whatever your native language is, i'm sure it may be nice to hear to u.
 

premed1218

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2003
26
1
Visit site
Status
Any of you guys planning a trip to Taiwan for the summer before the start of school? SDN party in Taiwan....yay!!!
 

ImmunoANT

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2003
208
0
Philly
Visit site
Status
sunkists said:
haha i learned english when i was 6. (too bad i was born here... still had to take ESL) and so for like 5 years after - i had a fob accent to my english too. how unfortunate. i think i'm ok now though. maybe.
well, i came to the states when i was 17 (very proud to say i have a diploma from a taiwanese high school, if i may add). now, being here for almost 7 years, i still have a relatively thick taiwanese accent, but that is just me. it tells people where i'm from and makes me unique anyway. :laugh:
 
About the Ads

pekq

Gunner
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2004
360
2
NJ
Visit site
Status
Writing out Taiwanese/Fujianese in roman alphabet really doesn't work very well. I am starting to think you guys are writing in Viet.

There should be large Taiwanese concentration in every major city. As long you don't exclusively hang out with other frat asians like those in PDPsi and drive riced honda civic, you'd be cool in my book. :thumbup:
 

mackaikai

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2002
474
0
Status
Attending Physician
Yahhh BOBA Pride! (not a FOB, please read my signature for explanation)
 

pekq

Gunner
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2004
360
2
NJ
Visit site
Status
I envy you peeps who can read and write chinese fluently. :thumbup:
I can't do chinese ktv.

Chinese school was an utter waste of my time.
 

Newquagmire

15+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2002
1,273
3
canada said:
to Newquagmire, my post was an opinion, that's the way i feel and it seems like others may share the same feeling. how can u say it's chicken swat if u don't know it? whatever your native language is, i'm sure it may be nice to hear to u.
don't take it so seriously, it's just an opinion. fyi: i do know. to mandarins, my "native" language sounds like chicken squawk too. like calbee, i'm a canton.

immunoant: did you go to TAS by chance?
 

canada

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2004
91
1
Visit site
Status
Newquagmire said:
don't take it so seriously, it's just an opinion. fyi: i do know. to mandarins, my "native" language sounds like chicken squawk too. like calbee, i'm a canton.

immunoant: did you go to TAS by chance?

to clarify, you're cantonese but know taiwanese?
 

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
4,206
11
42
Bay Area
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
sunkists said:
hahah wow. taiwanese people are so cool. i am reminded of fun and warm feelings... having grown up in a small taiwanese presbyterian church.

and yes -- about people who speak taiwanese automatically becoming your friend -- i hear ya.

houston has a biggg taiwanese scene. i think dallas does too if you're talking about texas. i know cali is taiwanese up the wazoo -- especially cities like san jose and cupertino area.

i love the taiwanese language but i think if i were to think objectively about it -- i think its pretty ugly sounding? :) its strikes me as more of a conversational/sarcastic/jovial/mocking language than an eloquent one.

dai geh huh, gwa eh mia shi yep-jet-shieng. lin ji ma ki dweh ji kiung dai hak?
I get good sensation when I hear Taiwanese too. I can see how people that dont understand it may think it sounds "rough", but something about the way it sounds makes me feel at home, probably b/c I was born there and my infant years were spent hearing those words. My mandarin is way better than my taiwanese unfortuantely.

I wanted to go back to Taiwan for a month before i started school since I dont think I'll have another chance once i start. But my gosh the summers are so hot!
 

ImmunoANT

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2003
208
0
Philly
Visit site
Status
Newquagmire said:
immunoant: did you go to TAS by chance?
Newquamire, uhhhh.... what is TAS? I guess that answer your question (no). But I do think I ran into you when interviewing at PENN.
PS. do you like peanut butter? :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin:
 

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
4,206
11
42
Bay Area
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
ImmunoANT said:
Newquamire, uhhhh.... what is TAS? I guess that answer your question (no). But I do think I ran into you when interviewing at PENN.
PS. do you like peanut butter? :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

TAS is tapei american school. so many ABT's go there. I was very close to going there.
 

ImmunoANT

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2003
208
0
Philly
Visit site
Status
premed1218 said:
Any of you guys planning a trip to Taiwan for the summer before the start of school? SDN party in Taiwan....yay!!!
am seriously thinking of it (but on the other hand, spain/france is also very tempting too...) I'm from 台中縣, how about u guys? SDN party in Taiwain? cooooool .... :laugh: :laugh:
 

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
4,206
11
42
Bay Area
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
ImmunoANT said:
am seriously thinking of it (but on the other hand, spain/france is also very tempting too...) I'm from 台中縣, how about u guys? SDN party in Taiwain? cooooool .... :laugh: :laugh:
I'm from that area to, feng yuan actually.
 
B

Blade28

Mr Reddly said:
That's actually making me curious.

I wonder if everybody can see my signature or if there are some people who only see boxes instead of my heart and rainbow since it too is via special characters.
I see the heart and colorful boxes. :)
 
B

Blade28

CalBeE said:
我是 Hong Kong 人....so I guess I don't belong here huh :D
Hey, a fellow Honker! Nice!

But...your name...Kal Bi?...like the Korean food...so confused... :confused:
 

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
4,206
11
42
Bay Area
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Blade28 said:
Hey, a fellow Honker! Nice!

But...your name...Kal Bi?...like the Korean food...so confused... :confused:

he's a confused fellow :p . I think his name shouldve been three cup chicken.
 
B

Blade28

exmike said:
he's a confused fellow :p . I think his name shouldve been three cup chicken.
Ah, I see. :) It's just all so confusing. Like a Korean guy calling himself "Udon." Or a Japanese guy calling himself "Wonton." Or...well, you get the point. :)
 
About the Ads