Who can request non child-resistant drug enclosures???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

aboveliquidice

No sacrifice - No victory
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
According to the PPPA of 1970 = Prescriber (annotated on Rx) and Patient

According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (which enforces the PPPA) = Patient only

The patient-only via the CPSC is only listed as an answer from a practice test. I was under the impression that both a prescriber and patient could request this.

So which one is it?
 
Not sure. I've never seen a prescriber request that a patient get non-safety caps. I prefer non-safety caps also.

This is a non issue in real practice - almost all oral dosage legend Rx have em... If the patient doesn't want them - they tell you.

But the law is very specific on what is kosher / what isn't - and the MPJE doesn't care about the real world.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
According to the PPPA of 1970 = Prescriber (annotated on Rx) and Patient

According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (which enforces the PPPA) = Patient only

The patient-only via the CPSC is only listed as an answer from a practice test. I was under the impression that both a prescriber and patient could request this.

So which one is it?

The patient can request them for a single fill or for all future fills. I believe the prescriber can request them for a single fill but not for all fills. The big thing they want you to know is that a pharmacist can NOT make that decision.
 
The patient can request them for a single fill or for all future fills. I believe the prescriber can request them for a single fill but not for all fills. The big thing they want you to know is that a pharmacist can NOT make that decision.


That was my understanding when I was studying for my first MPJE. What about patient's representatives?