Who does aquatic therapy, OT or PT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

brightness

Full Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When I was young I worked as a swim instructor with kids and I loved it. I know it's quite different providing clinical rehab services and just teaching swimming, but it made me wonder if that might be a career path to think about. I'm having a somewhat difficult time deciding what to go to grad school for, but rehab seems like a real possibility and not a career that will "run out" any time soon (should always be moderate demand).

Anyway, to cut to the chase- Who does aquatic therapy? OT or PT? Can OTs do it, or is it some thing only a PT would do.

Thank you so much for your help! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Don't think OT really does aquatic therapy, unless there are ADLs/IADLs, occupational stuff done in the water?
 
I used to work in an outpatient clinic that specialized in aquatic therapies. The OT's would occasionally treat in the aquatic environment, but the PT's performed aquatic therapy much more often