Who Else Feels Crappy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So for every feel-good thread, there is an equal and opposite gripe thread moaning and groaning about something or other. Here it is, and I'll start.

I got sent home early from work today because I am hacking up a lung and have lost my voice. But no fever, no vomiting, so I decided that I wasn't sick enough to activate sick call and make one of my classmates come in to do my job when they're supposed to have today off. Well, several of the clinic patients I was there to see were much less sick than I am. You know you sound bad when the patient is asking you if *you* are ok. :smuggrin:

Seriously, though, the doctor's office, ER, or hospital is the worst place to be when you're sick. Who in their right mind wants to go sit around in a waiting room with other people who are sicker than you are just because your throat is a little sore or you have a cold? I mean, where the heck do these people think I picked up *my* bug from? :rolleyes: :cry:

Members don't see this ad.

I just started a new medication and it's making me feel funny... And on top of being super behind at work, I find that I can't find motivation for it, so I'm falling further and further behind every day. Waiting for the guillotine to drop. Also, I know I've already complained about this, but driving during rush hour is slowly draining away my soul.

You're a tough act to follow, Q... I feel like I'm whining over nothing. :( Hope you feel better soon!

I keep getting slapped in the face by my lab experiments. Definitely not a good feeling.

Members don't see this ad :)
I made one post in the "great" thread, so I feel it is necessary to balance :)

Crazy lady + thick Russian accent + calculus = crazy Russian themed calculus class

She is driving me insane. Between her class and my chemistry class I feel like I am getting a tad bit overwhelmed. WAH!

Ok mini rant over :)

apparently my phd is not going to write itself. that is super unfortunate because i don't know how else it is supposed to get done.

Reactions: 1 user
I keep getting slapped around by my exams. Physics Midterm Saturday: Super Crap; Bio Practical Monday: Crap; Bio Lecture Exam Wednesday (Today): Crap; Orgo exam: Soon to be super crap as I've had no time to prepare... This has been a terrible week that may have lasting consequences. :(

Lab work and MCAT studying are kicking my heinie lately. I have somehow ended up with FOUR projects at work and have no idea how I'm going to get everything done. Not to mention how behind I am with physics and chem reading. I'm so tired I can't even muster up the energy to panic about it. :(

Lab work and MCAT studying are kicking my heinie lately. I have somehow ended up with FOUR projects at work and have no idea how I'm going to get everything done. Not to mention how behind I am with physics and chem reading. I'm so tired I can't even muster up the energy to panic about it. :(

Hang in there Valerie! You will manage and your hard work will show on your med school apps. :thumbup:

I have an A in Organic 2 but surely won't maintain it with the ACS final around the corner.:thumbup: FML Oh, and lately I've been feeling guilty for not being employed.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, school seems to be going well so far :xf:

It's my house that keeps slapping my bank account.

burst pipe = mold + water = replace drywall = find out foundation blocks are cracked = get loan for basement foundation repair = :( *

(* thankful to have roof over head, but would like to protect floor beneath feet as well)

One of my cats interrupted my breakfast by barfing on the living room carpet. So I had to clean it up while my cereal got soggy. An inauspicious start to the day.

I live in Ohio. It's almost November. I live near the lake.

Fin.

Members don't see this ad :)
I live in Ohio. It's almost November. I live near the lake.

Fin.

THIS. Except I'm a little pansy in Georgia, shivering in freak Ohio-like weather. I'm supposed to have 2 more weeks of 70s and 80s, dammit. :scared: <-- cold

You're a tough act to follow, Q... I feel like I'm whining over nothing. :( Hope you feel better soon!
Don't worry, your griping will improve with practice. My fellow interns and I are masters at it. I can't wait to see how much more I'll have improved by next summer when I'm a junior. ;)

Still coughing, still reduced voice volume. Six more days 'till my next day off. Dreamt that I was a fugitive and upset because my luggage got left on the bus after I was arrested but escaped the first time. It was a very hush hush arrest to avoid embarrassing my family, but still. That's my stuff, man. Sigh.

Well, school seems to be going well so far :xf:

It's my house that keeps slapping my bank account.

burst pipe = mold + water = replace drywall = find out foundation blocks are cracked = get loan for basement foundation repair = :( *

(* thankful to have roof over head, but would like to protect floor beneath feet as well)

Hooray, someone else is in this club! The drought here in the South has officially caused my house to sink a good two inches or so into the ground... on one side only. :thumbdown:

On the plus side, it's very easy to avoid doing laundry now that the garage door is impossible to open.

My car interior smells like diesel because I have to haul my heating oil in jugs. It's too cold inside to wash dishes. This would be okay because I'm out of water again, except that I'm also out of paper plates. The seat on my outhouse frosted over last night, which makes for a cold wet surprise in the morning. There's six inches of snow on the ground, the path to my cabin is too long to bother shoveling, and it's only October.

Oh I got dem cold toes, frozen ears Alaska Dry Cabin bluuuuuues!

vent thread..yay...
after finding out how many schools will not accept online credits...I am having a drink right now. I don't have a choice, I live overseas because we are military and excuse my language, but I bust my ass just as much as any student in a face to face room..I meet the same standards, I take the same tests at a proctored location, I do the same labs except I pay a lot of $ for all the equipment to do them in my own home an dmy school has a brick and mortar campus in the states but I don't get to live in the U.S again until November 2012. I don't like living in another country, but that is the military, you do what needs to be done.It is already hard enough to get into med school and my options just shrank. I am a military veteran and military spouse, years ago I left my home of Ohio for the military and I have been moving every 2 years since then. I do what I can with what is available to me and it is just really bothering me right now ....like REALLY bothering me...that it is not good enough for some schools.

Owkay, I am going to bed. I will feel better in the morning and probably regret whining like this :sleep:

oh i love these threads! i keep getting piled on with more experiments/projects/work than i know what to do with. unfort im not one to complain or call for an intervention.

I had someone I fired in July for drug use call today and ask for him job back as he can't find work.

I can't find a good answer; he has gotten clean supposedly, but i fired him for cause and I don't normally second-guess myself.

Now I sit in my apartment and debate the merits of mercy vs. cold-hard reality.

vent thread..yay...
after finding out how many schools will not accept online credits...I am having a drink right now. I don't have a choice, I live overseas because we are military and excuse my language, but I bust my ass just as much as any student in a face to face room..I meet the same standards, I take the same tests at a proctored location, I do the same labs except I pay a lot of $ for all the equipment to do them in my own home an dmy school has a brick and mortar campus in the states but I don't get to live in the U.S again until November 2012. I don't like living in another country, but that is the military, you do what needs to be done.It is already hard enough to get into med school and my options just shrank. I am a military veteran and military spouse, years ago I left my home of Ohio for the military and I have been moving every 2 years since then. I do what I can with what is available to me and it is just really bothering me right now ....like REALLY bothering me...that it is not good enough for some schools.

Owkay, I am going to bed. I will feel better in the morning and probably regret whining like this :sleep:

Ahhh that just straight sucks, sorry to hear that. I would be blowing a gasket if this happened to me:mad:. Hopefully things turn up for you, you sound real determined nonetheless.

I'm sick
My significant other is sick
My job is taking over my life
I still haven't learned how to study :(

Lupacake- I was all ready to sign up for an online class, but decided first to check if my top choice would accept it. Luckily I did, because they will NOT. Jerks!

I got laryngitis while in the ICU last spring. I felt ok, but when I opened my mouth and tried to talk.... nothing. NOTHING. I got a squeak once or twice... but that was it. And of course we were horribly busy as usual. The normal 6 admits a day in addition to the 5 patients I was already managing (I was an intern at the time). So I glomed on to a med student and wrote stuff down and had her talk for me. It was pathetic. At one point we got a new admit to the unit and I took my med student and we went and examined her, talked to family for information, etc. Went to present to the attending and he looked at me and said "You can't talk." Pointed to the med student and said "Talk. Make it good." And since I had walked her through the whole thing written down, she did just fine. The patient's families were laughing at me for an entire week.

I didn't have a voice for 3 days. Med students got a LOT of learning those three days. They had to answer all my pages and do all my talking for me.

Yeah I'm in a general life downswing at the moment. My MCAT score sucked but I decided to apply anyway. Also I can't find a job and basically spend every day working out and sitting at my computer checking the status of my apps and looking for employment. Thank god for alcohol.

I have the republican machine (which I sadly voted for) telling me daily in the news what an overpaid, lazy piece of crap I am. They quote erroneous statistics that claim we make more than private industry, despite the fact that numerous studies say otherwise. They are doing this while trying to force through a bill that turns me in to an at will employee, subject to the whims of people who would most certainly not be qualified to run a private industry that shared our budget/staffing.

It occupies about 75% of my thought, and I don't really sleep that well anymore. I can't wait until November, 1 way or another this stress needs to end.

I have the republican machine (which I sadly voted for) telling me daily in the news what an overpaid, lazy piece of crap I am. They quote erroneous statistics that claim we make more than private industry, despite the fact that numerous studies say otherwise. They are doing this while trying to force through a bill that turns me in to an at will employee, subject to the whims of people who would most certainly not be qualified to run a private industry that shared our budget/staffing.

It occupies about 75% of my thought, and I don't really sleep that well anymore. I can't wait until November, 1 way or another this stress needs to end.
I feel the same way whenever I hear about the proposed Medicare cuts to graduate medical education. It probably won't affect me, but now we have the ACGME making doomsday predictions that future residents like some of you may have to pay tuition for the privilege of being a resident.

I have an A in Organic Chem but a C in Freshman Biology....My Biology lab GA is an absoulute ball-buster, bad enough that most of my classmates have gone to her boss and complained, it just made her attitude worse.

Thanks for the nice words :D

At this point, it sucks...but if I can't change it no point in bitching about it. The only thing I figure I can do is take as many face to face classes I can. My school has reps at the military education center and they offer a couple classes every term face to face, but not very many. A professor from the school has to agree to live overseas for a certain amount of time if they are going to offer face to face courses at our education center, granted they get some incentives for doing this it is still not something a lot of people would volunteer for. So my class options are limited face to face, but I can take some. My degree is not 100% online, just mostly online. I am also allowed to enroll in classes at another education center on a post about 1.5 hours away from me. It would be a huge pain to drive 1.5 hours to class and back every evening, but if they offer something that I need then I am considering it. Even if I just take the class online, but can do the lab at that education center then I think that will help.

It is not perfect, but it is the most I can offer. When we get out in nov 2012 I have then until application time to take any other classes I need, mcats etc. Most likely I will not finish my physics here and maybe not organic chem either because those are difficult ones to find offered online with a lab. So at least I can wrap those up at a face to face school in the states. I will get as many in person as I can, try to do killer on the mcats and hope it is enough. My paperwork does not actually say "online" or indicate it is online in any way so for all I know they might figure it out. Only way they will know is if they ask me. *hopes no one asks*

ANYWAYS..........

To the person that fired someone for drug use. Did the paperwork firing them state it was for drugs? If so would that come back on you if you hired them again? If you do hire them, is it possible to have regular drug tests for a certain amount of time to ensure they are not using again?

EDIT:Just found out my #1 school does not accept online courses, not even hybrids. I feel crappy now....I wanted that school really really bad....not being accepted is one thing, not even being able to try and fight for it is another. I am a mixture of anger and fighting back tears right now. I can't just do my entire bachelors degree over again

Last edited:
Thanks for the nice words :D

At this point, it sucks...but if I can't change it no point in bitching about it. The only thing I figure I can do is take as many face to face classes I can. My school has reps at the military education center and they offer a couple classes every term face to face, but not very many. A professor from the school has to agree to live overseas for a certain amount of time if they are going to offer face to face courses at our education center, granted they get some incentives for doing this it is still not something a lot of people would volunteer for. So my class options are limited face to face, but I can take some. My degree is not 100% online, just mostly online. I am also allowed to enroll in classes at another education center on a post about 1.5 hours away from me. It would be a huge pain to drive 1.5 hours to class and back every evening, but if they offer something that I need then I am considering it. Even if I just take the class online, but can do the lab at that education center then I think that will help.

It is not perfect, but it is the most I can offer. When we get out in nov 2012 I have then until application time to take any other classes I need, mcats etc. Most likely I will not finish my physics here and maybe not organic chem either because those are difficult ones to find offered online with a lab. So at least I can wrap those up at a face to face school in the states. I will get as many in person as I can, try to do killer on the mcats and hope it is enough. My paperwork does not actually say "online" or indicate it is online in any way so for all I know they might figure it out. Only way they will know is if they ask me. *hopes no one asks*

ANYWAYS..........

To the person that fired someone for drug use. Did the paperwork firing them state it was for drugs? If so would that come back on you if you hired them again? If you do hire them, is it possible to have regular drug tests for a certain amount of time to ensure they are not using again?
Did any of the schools you called say they would accept online classes, or did they all say no? If any said yes, are they schools you believe you would be competitive at and you would be willing to attend? If there are a handful of schools that will accept your credits, and you have good chances at them, it would probably be worth it to rule out those that wouldn't accept the classes, rather than re-take everything.

Other than that, apply and be honest but hope they don't ask. Good luck!

edit because the last message was....crappy.

So far I am getting that the most important ones to take in person are chemistry. Some schools are lenient about the biology and physics, but they want the chemistry to be in person if possible.

Last edited:
I was feeling pretty crappy with 4 hours of sleep last night, then I read this thread and now I feel better. Thanks SDN!

I got strep throat. Started feeling sick Wed. night. Had an OChem exam Thurs. night. Learned that strep throat + splitting headache + OChem don't mix.

Yeah I'm in a general life downswing at the moment. My MCAT score sucked but I decided to apply anyway. Also I can't find a job and basically spend every day working out and sitting at my computer checking the status of my apps and looking for employment. Thank god for alcohol.

This is me...minus the alcohol (I hate the taste...blech!). Laid off 2 years ago. Only been able to find part-time and temp work since then. You'd think finding a job as a bookkeeper would be easy, but a lot of jobs that bookkeepers do are now being done by the CPAs, leaving out the midlevels like me. I've lost count of the number of jobs I've been turned down for because I'm overqualified. And unemployment has run out now. Our bills are all current (mortgage included), but since we have no savings, if I don't find a job soon, that will quickly change. It's all very disheartening. At least I'm currently making an A in biochem!

Where to begin?

Let's do this outline format:

• Wife + son (+)ve for Strep as of yesterday. Yay! I've got a little tickle in the throat too, now. :(

• Stupid dog with walnut sized brain got loose Wed. night and I chased her on foot for about 10 blocks only to watch her attack a skunk and get sprayed...twice... before deciding this might not be a good idea.
  • More rain than ever in recorded history in Cleveland: literally mud for a backyard.
  • Yesterday Walnut-Size Brained Dog (WBD) forgets that it is pathologically afraid of me, and decides to jump up and cover my dress pant legs in mud/residual skunk smell before I could stop her on my way out the door.
  • Upon hearing my vocal reaction to aforementioned event, WBD's bladder reminds WBD's brain that it doesn't like me, and WBD immediately pees on the kitchen floor.

This post (WBD especially) made me think that perhaps I need to work on better controlling my inappropriate laughter response before medical school.
:smuggrin:

Where to begin?

Let's do this outline format:

• Wife + son (+)ve for Strep as of yesterday. Yay! I've got a little tickle in the throat too, now. :(

• Stupid dog with walnut sized brain got loose Wed. night and I chased her on foot for about 10 blocks only to watch her attack a skunk and get sprayed...twice... before deciding this might not be a good idea.
  • More rain than ever in recorded history in Cleveland: literally mud for a backyard.
  • Yesterday Walnut-Size Brained Dog (WBD) forgets that it is pathologically afraid of me, and decides to jump up and cover my dress pant legs in mud/residual skunk smell before I could stop her on my way out the door.
  • Upon hearing my vocal reaction to aforementioned event, WBD's bladder reminds WBD's brain that it doesn't like me, and WBD immediately pees on the kitchen floor.

7777...wow. Just the fact that you chased your dog to see him get sprayed by some skunks. That is one of those situations where you go "really?...REALLY?!" :eek:

That on top of everything else...whew. I would make you a drink ^^

Where in Cleveland are you? I am originally from Cleveland! I visit every great once in awhile to see my Mom, but I don't want to move back to Ohio.

Last edited:
My one-year old stepped in fresh dog poop in the yard this morning. I thought it was a really bad diaper and didn't realize it until my husband told me AFTER the baby had walked all over the garage and on part of the carpet in the family room.
He also got poop all over my clothes since I carried him too.
We do not have a dog.

My one-year old stepped in fresh dog poop in the yard this morning. I thought it was a really bad diaper and didn't realize it until my husband told me AFTER the baby had walked all over the garage and on part of the carpet in the family room.
We do not have a dog.

I would be mad! Track down the dog owner and tell her to go scoop the dog poop from your yard.

We do not have a dog.

Okay, I'm thinking it must be time for a nap cause after I read this (which is funny in a eeewwwwww sort of way) I glanced at the poster's status and had to do a double-take. I thought it said "post-dog". Yep. Definitely time for a nap. Or an eye exam. Or something.

7777...wow. Just the fact that you chased your dog to see him get sprayed by some skunks. That is one of those situations where you go "really?...REALLY?!" :eek:

That on top of everything else...whew. I would make you a drink ^^

Where in Cleveland are you? I am originally from Cleveland! I visit every great once in awhile to see my Mom, but I don't want to move back to Ohio.
So, a little background:
My wife left the minivan doors open that night, and I told her I'd go out and close them for her. The dog escaped as I went outside, and I took off after her. I had no cellphone or leash, but the backdoor was wide open as was the minivan. My wife and kids certainly had been already alerted to the fact that I was out on foot chasing the dog. The WBD keep stopping to poop in people's yards and running away from me when I got near for a good 30 or 40 minutes BEFORE the skunk incident.

Believe me, if it were just me, I would have let the stupid WBD go. The idea crossed my mind to just "walk away and play dumb", but knowing that I couldn't go home empty handed, I pressed on. This is what dads do. This, and Justin Beiber concerts. :)

When I finally wrestled the (horribly stinky) WBD and walked her back to the home, half expecting to run into a minivan full of hysterical, sobbing children somewhere along the way. At the very least, I was going to be the hero, right? I get home, and all the lights were off, the doors of the minivan closed, and the doors locked with everyone in bed. Yeah...I feel loved. :smack:

P.S. Shaker Heights.

Last edited:
sinus problems from heck as usual with change of season.....
pharm test on monday
spending friday night doing my eccp in the er on my birthday :love:
and then micro test the following monday on GI issues

and somewhere in there i have to figure out where to pick up stuff for oldest to be Candace (from Phineas and Ferb) for halloween, the boy wants to be gnome (also not found in any store), get wings and something to wear with them as the baby is going a butterfly....of yeah and i should probably carve pumpkins and get some candy to hand out as well.

this is one of those weekends where i wonder why i signed up for this again