Who Else Feels Crappy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That sucks.

I'm back in the ICU. Not as a med student, but as a resident. And the same old issue(s) keeps coming up. End of Life issues. And the disconnect present between patients/families and physicians. I hate watching people "circle the drain" and being mostly helpless, knowing they are a FULL code w/ little chance of survival, regardless of if we even run a code on them. Thanks for giving me the chance to precipitate your (family member's) death by giving you a lot of QUALITY chest compressions in a futile effort to save you.

Members don't see this ad.

Just need to whine a bit.

I'm sick, and miserable, and can't sleep.

I was sick this summer (got sick en route to a conference) for almost two months with some nasty viral respiratory infection followed by secondary bacterial infection. So after getting that cleared up, I was feeling pretty good and figured I'd served my time for the year and then some. Nope, here I am after multiple days of raging sore throat, bad cough, and almost no voice. This needs to go away now, been a week of this crap with no real signs of improvement.

Not sure why my immune system seems to suck so much lately. Been sleeping well, eating pretty good, low stress level, etc.

Bleh.
:(
/rant

You obviously have been treating your immune system *too* well.

I feel like I need to train my immune system: running alongside busy street to take in the smog, exposing myself to less harmful strains of E. coli, not washing my hands before meal, etc. Otherwise, my immune system gets too comfortable thus ill-prepared. I attribute my general lack of allergies to my training regiment; my immune system is conditioned and knows to ignore the minor stuff, except cat dander, because !@#$ cats...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just need to whine a bit.

I'm sick, and miserable, and can't sleep.

I was sick this summer (got sick en route to a conference) for almost two months with some nasty viral respiratory infection followed by secondary bacterial infection. So after getting that cleared up, I was feeling pretty good and figured I'd served my time for the year and then some. Nope, here I am after multiple days of raging sore throat, bad cough, and almost no voice. This needs to go away now, been a week of this crap with no real signs of improvement.

Not sure why my immune system seems to suck so much lately. Been sleeping well, eating pretty good, low stress level, etc.

Bleh.
:(
/rant
You need a FL vacation. Just sayin'. :D

Reactions: 1 users
Use that in your PS :D
EPIC FAIL - I FAINTED IN SURGERY!!
I have observed/assisted on hundreds of surgeries (neuro, surg onc...) without any problems. I ate breakfast, hydrated, and stretched before surgery; kept bending my knees... But I'm 12 weeks pregnant with low blood pressure. Suddenly, I felt blazing hot, then I blacked out. Next thing I knew, the OR techs were lowering me to the floor. The techs said I felt hot - they literally cut my gown off. I still can't believe it. They told me my attending literally had to CATCH me. :bang:

I guess I have my official "most embarrassing moment" story. FAIL :bang:

Not feeling particularly motivated right now. Finished the last of my post-bacc courses about a month ago, and just haven't had much traction with MCAT studying... :arghh:

Had a bunch of frustrating personal medical things come up last week that delayed me from taking a final and were otherwise terrifying. Sometimes the relentlessness of med school makes you feel like you can't afford to take a sick day. I am catching up again now and taking my final this week, but it is exhausting. I am trying to take care of myself, and have lots of support around. I just felt like venting that this week has been hard and sometimes chasing the dream tires out even the most determined mind.

I'm feeling a bit crappy and frustrated at the moment. Going through a rough patch with a friend at the moment and not sure what to make of it. They went out of state for grad school and I feel like I no longer exist. I feel like I'm the only one going out of my way to keep the friendship going but they don't go out of their ever to check up on me. I'm sure they are busy but every so often for them to make the effort would be nice...

I'm otherwise am sick and tired of working in retail. My current workplace is short-staffed and they aren't hiring back a lot of the people that left to save money. It's definitely made working there to be a negative experience. Hoping I can find another job soon...

As a paramedic, had a patient have a bad outcome yesterday. I felt like my performance on the call was mediocre, but I don't think anything would have changed the outcome. Intellectually I know I did everything right, but it still feels gross. The fact that this is shaking me up makes me worried about my future as a doctor. I'm interested in surgery, but will I be able to cope with complications and mistakes? Will I be able to accept being less than perfect, and not let my neuroticism eat me alive? Having trouble concentrating on studying today :hungover:

As a paramedic, had a patient have a bad outcome yesterday. I felt like my performance on the call was mediocre, but I don't think anything would have changed the outcome. Intellectually I know I did everything right, but it still feels gross. The fact that this is shaking me up makes me worried about my future as a doctor. I'm interested in surgery, but will I be able to cope with complications and mistakes? Will I be able to accept being less than perfect, and not let my neuroticism eat me alive? Having trouble concentrating on studying today :hungover:
I'd worry more about you if your response was to shrug and not care. While you don't want to micro-analyze everything to death, thinking about how you could have done better is never a wasted exercise. Did your medical controller or some other supervisor debrief you? It sounds like you could use a good debriefing.

I'd worry more about you if your response was to shrug and not care. While you don't want to micro-analyze everything to death, thinking about how you could have done better is never a wasted exercise. Did your medical controller or some other supervisor debrief you? It sounds like you could use a good debriefing.

No official debriefing but I did talk to a really experienced medic about it which made me feel a good bit better. It's interesting to hear other people's take on a situation. I tend to get hung up on every little detail and inefficiency, it's easy to miss the bigger picture.

I am a teacher (in a public high schooo) and grateful for the year to be over. However, I am getting worried bc. I need some one to look over my resume, personal statement draft and "self-assesment list" for a couple of classes before I send it out to LOR / Profs.

I FEEL a bit helpless like don't know what's going to happen, am I good enough, blah blah but I will take it one step at a time.

trying to make the most of everything in the best way possible.

Last edited:
Took a little old lady to the hospital last shift. In her 90's, sharp as a tack mentally, basically no health problems whatsoever, completely independent. She was climbing on a step ladder to put something on top of the fridge, the door opened up and she fell, broke her hip :(

I've had plenty of patients who fell down and went boom, but I think this one seemed unusually tragic because of just how healthy, independent, on the ball she had been. It was so sad to think, as we pulled her out of the house, that she will likely never spend another night there. She wanted us to make sure the TV was turned off, the doors were locked... As if mattered :( Frustrating that this happened over something so stupid, too - she was putting a mixing bowl on top of the fridge or something. Something so completely stupid and meaningless, a fall that shouldn't have happened, and now the rest of her life is changed dramatically, likely for the worse.

If I make it to 80+ years old, I'm going to put down 2" foam Judo mats on every inch of floor in my house.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I make it to 80+ years old, I'm going to put down 2" foam Judo mats on every inch of floor in my house.
You'd probably just get an anoxic brain injury from falling face-first into the mat and breaking your neck so you couldn't turn your head. Or else you'd abrade all the skin off your face, the wounds would get infected, and we'd be able to look at your teeth without you having to even open your mouth.

There's no point in fighting earth's gravity, so my advice would be to just not put anything on top of your fridge. Or else make someone younger and dumber climb up there for you.

All kidding aside, I love elderly patients like that. They really can be characters. I had this one 90-something-year-old dude, who, when I asked him if I could unbutton the top button of his shirt to listen to his heart with my stethoscope, told me, "you can undo ALL the buttons if you want." I laughed like crazy. His flesh might be weak, but the spirit was still willing. ;)

Reactions: 3 users
You'd probably just get an anoxic brain injury from falling face-first into the mat and breaking your neck so you couldn't turn your head. Or else you'd abrade all the skin off your face, the wounds would get infected, and we'd be able to look at your teeth without you having to even open your mouth.

There's no point in fighting earth's gravity, so my advice would be to just not put anything on top of your fridge. Or else make someone younger and dumber climb up there for you.

All kidding aside, I love elderly patients like that. They really can be characters. I had this one 90-something-year-old dude, who, when I asked him if I could unbutton the top button of his shirt to listen to his heart with my stethoscope, told me, "you can undo ALL the buttons if you want." I laughed like crazy. His flesh might be weak, but the spirit was still willing. ;)

:laugh:. that's f'n funny Q!

Don't go getting any ideas. You're not old enough to get away with hitting on your doc yet. ;)

yes. unfortunately. i'm at the age where it's just creepy. when do you suppose creepy changes to cute.. because I'm staying consistent. i just want to know when i can start getting away with it. haha.

yes. unfortunately. i'm at the age where it's just creepy. when do you suppose creepy changes to cute.. because I'm staying consistent. i just want to know when i can start getting away with it. haha.
Unfortunately, it doesn't become cute until you're too physically decrepit for it to matter. :p

Unfortunately, it doesn't become cute until you're too physically decrepit for it to matter. :p

Well. then hopefully never. i plan on keeping my F game strong. otherwise.... what's the point. just waddling in a circle and ****ting myself? no thanks. check please!

Gonna post in here. I am active duty Navy, as I've mentioned before. I am applying to a program called EMDP2, which is a year program that lets you finish any pre-reqs and take the MCAT before applying to med school free from any military duties (except advancement exams for some reason).

Anyway, I have all my **** together for my packet. Finished my bachelors this month. Interviewed with a Navy doc who wrote me a glowing LOR. Will most likely publish a paper or two before the packet is due, but more importantly, I have another glowing LOR from my research advisor. Will be getting a great letter from my CO. Passed my PFA. Cleared medically. Wrote my personal statement (only 500 words? Seriously?).

Aaaand, I took the SAT again. The score has to be within 3 years, and I took mine like 14 years ago, so I had to sit in a room full of 17 year olds taking it for the third time to get an extra couple points. I went into it assuming I'd be fine. I have been published a bunch of times and typically have never had problems with those types of tests. My bachelors is in math, so surely the math section would also be easy.

Well, I am pretty sure I aced the verbal and essay sections, but for some reason, I feel like I ****ed up on the math section. The minimum for each section is a 600, and I don't know if I will meet that there. It's so embarrassing because I'm actually really good at math. I got almost all As in my upper division math courses, and my research is in math, game theory, and oncology. I even tutor people in college math and statistics. It was just all math that I haven't done in over a decade, and it threw me off.

I have to wait until July 21 for the results, and I'm spazzing because I won't have a chance to retake before the deadline.

Aaaahhhhh...

There's nothing you can do about it now, so compartmentalize and move on. If necessary, you'll jump off that bridge (bow?) in a few weeks when you get there.

I am on the second to last night of a string of working 14 nights in a span of 18 days. This allowed me to have more time home with my family last month, but wow, I am feeling crispy and ready for some more time off. Empathy meter at work definitely at "meh" and falling. :-/

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, I just hate waiting so long to find out. When I took the GRE and the ASVAB, the scores were instant (or almost instant, in the case of the ASVAB).

Definitely feel you on the work apathy. Going on leave after weeks of working 7 days a week for ~18 hours a day (minus the 6 hours that I couldn't leave the ship but at least could spend the time on my own) was amazing. Two whole weeks without work and also getting to sleep in a room with less than 80 people in it and use a bathroom with fewer than 6 toilets was incredible.

Reapplying to schools.... feel like absolute dirt.

Reapplying to schools.... feel like absolute dirt.
same here.

having one of those days where it just feels like nothing will ever get me past that ****ty undergrad record.

as much as i think i've done cool things on top of getting good grades post-bacc route, i get on here and see what i'm competing against. and thennnnn, i feel like crap.

some days i can override that, but other days...here. :(

Both kids sick. Again. Now they both have pink eye and probably adenovirus. At least I get to see if the vaccine works.

Been up since 1 am and I have to get up for work in 75 minutes. And it's going to be a long day. I feel crappy mostly because I got so annoyed that I couldn't fall back asleep after my daughter woke up. And then two hours later my other daughter woke up and coughed in my face for 20 minutes. Then her mom came in the room with some cough syrup and my daughter wanted to go to her. She usually only wants me when she's sick, so even though that gave me the chance to sleep, now I'm awake because I'm expecting my younger one to wake up again and I feel like my older one sensed some of my irritation at not being able to sleep (to be clear, I'm not annoyed at either of my kids--I'm annoyed because I have a really hard time falling back asleep if I wake all the way up).

I'm moving back to my hometown. Job will better facilitate finishing school, MCAT, and allow me to be near family. Gave up a lot here though. Not really sure ultimately how things are going to weigh application wise. But it needed to happen.

Unfortunately, this leaves me scrambling to pack up and sell my house while finishing out my 30 days notice. And I have entirely too much crap for 3 people, let alone 1...

Took COMLEX yesterday and have no idea how to feel right now. Petrified I didn't get the score I needed, even though I studied my ass off. The thought of taking USMLE nauseates me right now, even though I don't have a date for it yet. Trying to decompress, but can't figure out how. Haven't really seen my wife for a week, she's a paramedic and has been on ambulance emergency staffing every night since the incident here in Baton Rouge.

A hawk ate my pet. Fresh blood all over my balcony. Trying to hold back the tears.

Also getting evicted because the home I've been renting was foreclosed on. Housing market is terrible this time of year. Have to get rid of most of my belongings, even things I want, to fit into a smaller place for the same price. Been spending 3+ hours a day trying to find a new place to live and still not finding anything.

Last edited:
A hawk ate my pet. Fresh blood all over my balcony. Trying to hold back the tears.

Also getting evicted because the home I've been renting was foreclosed on. Housing market is terrible this time of year. Have to get rid of most of my belongings, even things I want, to fit into a smaller place for the same price. Been spending 3+ hours a day trying to find a new place to live and still not finding anything.

Sending positive thoughts and prayers. Sorry a dinosaur ate your pet.

This is really such a trivial little thing, but my toddler has been having a hard time adjusting to the move and to a new sibling. She has regressed to a few "baby" behaviors and consequently, we are being gentle and patient with potty training troubles, picky eating, etc. It is very frustrating though, when she goes on her little hunger strikes or throws a tantrum literally pulling out fistfuls of her own hair for no apparent reason (ex: she asks for something specific to eat, I make it for her and set it down on the table...she bursts into tears?!)

That isn't the trivial thing making me feel crappy. I understand that these big life changes are significant to my kid. What makes me feel crappy is how my childless sister-in-law keeps criticizing my parenting. She says, "I've seen and know if you give in or coddle their bad behavior they keep it up. You walk away and then they see that action isn't going to get them anywhere." Because the mind of a 2 year old is oh so rational.

Anyway I be like
:
Preview (7).jpg

This is really such a trivial little thing, but my toddler has been having a hard time adjusting to the move and to a new sibling. She has regressed to a few "baby" behaviors and consequently, we are being gentle and patient with potty training troubles, picky eating, etc. It is very frustrating though, when she goes on her little hunger strikes or throws a tantrum literally pulling out fistfuls of her own hair for no apparent reason (ex: she asks for something specific to eat, I make it for her and set it down on the table...she bursts into tears?!)

That isn't the trivial thing making me feel crappy. I understand that these big life changes are significant to my kid. What makes me feel crappy is how my childless sister-in-law keeps criticizing my parenting. She says, "I've seen and know if you give in or coddle their bad behavior they keep it up. You walk away and then they see that action isn't going to get them anywhere." Because the mind of a 2 year old is oh so rational.

Anyway I be like
:View attachment 206491

My 20 month old started doing some baby behaviors when our youngest was born. Pretty normal, I think. Still hard though. The struggle is real.

ETA: We moved 6 times in less than 3 years, and somehow my daughter managed to be pretty well adjusted. Thank God for that.

Last edited:
Just learned that the funding support of my job will be end in October...that means I have to get a new job within 2 months. As a work visa holder, if I can't land a new job right after my current position ends, I will become an illegal alien immediately. So stressful and frustrated. I want to cry.

How would Auntie like to take care of her darling niece for a weekend flying solo? Or even for one evening while Mom and Dad get some well-deserved respite?

I don't have my own kids either, but I will tell you this: when I babysat my little two-year-old niece for a few days while my sister and BIL were out of town, we had chicken nuggets for dinner every night because that's what my niece would eat. And my sister did not criticize me for not feeding her daughter a novel balanced meal each night, because she's been there.

Seriously, suggest some alone time with Auntie, and your SIL can totally try her theories out. Put up or shut up, I say. Or as my niece says, eat it or wear it. :D

How would Auntie like to take care of her darling niece for a weekend flying solo? Or even for one evening while Mom and Dad get some well-deserved respite?

I don't have my own kids either, but I will tell you this: when I babysat my little two-year-old niece for a few days while my sister and BIL were out of town, we had chicken nuggets for dinner every night because that's what my niece would eat. And my sister did not criticize me for not feeding her daughter a novel balanced meal each night, because she's been there.

Seriously, suggest some alone time with Auntie, and your SIL can totally try her theories out. Put up or shut up, I say. Or as my niece says, eat it or wear it. :D

Thanks Q! We may just try that :naughty:

Just learned that the funding support of my job will be end in October...that means I have to get a new job within 2 months. As a work visa holder, if I can't land a new job right after my current position ends, I will become an illegal alien immediately. So stressful and frustrated. I want to cry.

I'm sorry, hun. Allow yourself a night to cry (eat ice cream, watch sad movies, etc!) and then get up and at 'em the next day. Network, network, network! Don't be afraid to ask for opportunities. Now is not the time to be pleasant and unobtrusive. Be aggressive and sell yourself (meaning, toot your own horn)! YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Dug this thread up on a solidly bad day. It did the trick, so I thought it deserved a bump.

::insert nonexistent wine glass emoji::

Dug this thread up on a solidly bad day. It did the trick, so I thought it deserved a bump.

::insert nonexistent wine glass emoji::

Yeah, I'm sick today. Still havent sold my house, so paying a mortgage and rent. my cars engine bit the dust two weeks before the payoff date. left me stranded on the highway on my way to work (live 30 minutes out of town). too expensive to repair. borrowed grandma's car, a week later wounded up stranded on highway before work in 32 degree temp with no heat for an hour while waiting for roadside assistance. fortunately sheriff's deputy came up and let me warm up in the back of his truck for the next 20 min. tried a last ditch effort to fix my old 228,000 mile pickup. thought we had it working, but then looks like oil pump went out. too expensive to fix. payroll screwed up my paycheck, had to borrow money from a relative to make my mortgage payment.

Bought a new car in Hawaii and had it shipped here when we PCSed. We are military, so what we are told is that we don't have to change the registration from Hawaii to California. So we don't. Six months later, the registration is due. It's like $250. I'm like, where's the military rate (which is $20)? Oh, that's only if you have a residence in Hawaii. Okay, we'll just switch it over to California.

Oops. The military exception in California only applies to nonresidents, and since I got a California ID so that I could navigate their ridiculous gun laws to buy my pistol, I am considered a resident (even though my home of record is another state and my DL is from that state). So now I'm charged for not changing the registration within 48 days, and it's now $300.

Oh, and since California sales tax is double Hawaii, I also owe $1050 on the car in taxes. I ****ing hate this state. Unfortunately, the commissioning program I'm applying to will mean a PCS to a state that's just as bad: Maryland. Hopefully we can swing living in VA.

...also cuz moving in 100 degree weather sucks.

My husband's employer (big box retail chain) started having brown outs at work 2 days ago per request of the regional utility company. Apparently the whole city is as well but thankfully the university is not. The heat index is currently 101 F. Scary.

My TBR Physics I book is MIA. I had every single other MCAT book together in boxes when I moved. But I pulled this one because I was going to review it, so I have no idea which of the 30 or so boxes in my garage it wound up in. I really wanted to start with that one.

#firstworldproblems

Started gross anatomy this week. It's a whole new ballgame, and I have NO idea how to properly study for it.