Who else hates those A- grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QuantumMechanic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really have no room to bitch with my current gpa, but I hate A-'s. It's kinda like gpa purgatory: is it an A or is it not an A? Any neurotic, anal premed like me hates that those 3.7's lower their immaculate gpa's. Alas, maybe it'll be nice to goto a med school that's pass/fail.

Members don't see this ad.

quantummechanic said:
I really have no room to bitch with my current gpa, but I hate A-'s. It's kinda like gpa purgatory: is it an A or is it not an A? Any neurotic, anal premed like me hates that those 3.7's lower their immaculate gpa's. Alas, maybe it'll be nice to goto a med school that's pass/fail.

They are generally a pain, except when you think you are getting a B+ as a final grade but instead get an A-. In those cases, I'm just happy to see the letter "A". :D

bbas said:
They are generally a pain, except when you think you are getting a B+ as a final grade but instead get an A-. In those cases, I'm just happy to see the letter "A". :D

the drop to the B+ only happened to me once, every other time its been A-. Sure as hell doesn't do wonders for bringing the gpa above a 3.9 :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
quantummechanic said:

Come to Madison, where you can be free of A minuses forever. We have the A/AB/C/DC/D/F grading scale.

THANK YOUFINALLY SOMEONE HAD THE GUTS TO CREATE THIS THREAD! WOOT I AM NOT ALONE.

I got one A and 3 A-'s (ALL sciences) this quarter... not too happy about that... I will definitely focus more on school next quarter

justskipee said:
Come to Madison, where you can be free of A minuses forever. We have the A/AB/C/DC/D/F grading scale.

AB?????!!!???? If I replaced all my A-'s with AB's that'd drop my gpa to a damn 3.8!!!! AAAAAAHHHHH :mad: :mad: :D :D

quantummechanic said:
AB?????!!!???? If I replaced all my A-'s with AB's that'd drop my gpa to a damn 3.8!!!! AAAAAAHHHHH :mad: :mad: :D :D

3.8? Wow, thats so horrible... :rolleyes:

Say Amen if you agreee

An A- is like a slap to your face. Its like saying your not quite A material and your near B range. Hence, that is why I hate the A-.

I got an A- in orgo lab this semester. The TA said that the point difference between an A and a B was only 3 points. He basically told me that he just subjectively decided that I didn't deserve the A even though my average is stellar.

???? :wow:

i hope you guys are kidding...i like A-'s, sure beats B+'s, B's, lower.....

uclabruin1 said:
i hope you guys are kidding...i like A-'s, sure beats B+'s, B's, lower.....

this is SDN of course we aren't kidding :laugh:

it definitely does beat a B+ but i guess its the fact that we demand perfection and its our level of expectations... but guys... I've been pretty down because of my A-'s for the past few days... but listen up... next quarter or semester, we will TAKE the NEXT SEMESTER by STORM! Whos wit me?

Members don't see this ad :)
lol get out of here Brett mr. 4.0! =P just kidding..

yea A-'s suck

BrettBatchelor said:
A-'s are evil and out to slay virgins.

I would contest that A- students far outslay virgins than do A students.

Though I doubt those bastards at the NIH are gonna give me the necessary funding to prove it.

quantummechanic said:

I've got tons of A-'s. It's mostly during my second year / 1st sem of third year... but lately I've been nailing the A's. Of course, it's only *after* I get accepted to med school that I start busting my ass to pull it up to A's. Oh well, here's to a good start to many years of hard work, and a feeling of satisfaction for having a job well done :D

2c4.jpg

The sad thing is that I actually took time to draw this. Silly premeds.

I can not stand A-'s!!!!

If I ever got an A- I would be very sad -- ahh the OCD's of the common pre-med.

Can't wait until P/F in med school!

Angel

Virgil said:
2c4.jpg

The sad thing is that I actually took time to draw this. Silly premeds.

LOL. If medicine doesn't work out for you. . you have a career in art.

theunremarkable said:
LOL. If medicine doesn't work out for you. . you have a career in art.

My goodness! I really hope you guys are kidding. A-'s are good grades, for Pete's sake! Heck, it's helluva lot better than any "B"! Loosen up, people! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I hate an A-, there is no point to give someone an A-. Just give them an A, if they work that hard to receive and A- just give them the A.

ughh... how many A-'s do you guys have? I have 3 in a row this quarter

All A-'s are turned into A's in TMDSAS. God bless TX!

are you serious? thats pretty awesome!

too bad Hopkins or WashU isnt in good ol lone star state

can't spell Degree without a D...

i'm so glad i wasn't a pre-med in undergrad...i'd have probably thrown someone under a bus if i'd heard all this whining about an A- being a bad grade... :smuggrin:

Anyways, you all need to lighten up, seriously...Bs are good grades...above average, shows competence. Live a little and relax or you'll all burn out before you even get to med school.

jbrice1639 said:
can't spell Degree without a D...

i'm so glad i wasn't a pre-med in undergrad...i'd have probably thrown someone under a bus if i'd heard all this whining about an A- being a bad grade... :smuggrin:

Anyways, you all need to lighten up, seriously...Bs are good grades...above average, shows competence. Live a little and relax or you'll all burn out before you even get to med school.

I agree. I thought this thread was a joke at first but it's scary to see that people like this actually do exist. If you really can't sleep at night because you got an A- instead of an A, or you think life is over because you got a B+ then you really need to get a girlfriend/boyfriend or some kind of hobby outside of school.

So THIS is where the most annoying people in pre-allo hang out.

Bwaha...'twas a hyperbole!

Thundrstorm said:
Either here or...on the couch! Just kidding Thundrstorm, you're the coolest.

Thundrstorm said:

pretty-much :thumbup:

You guys, this is a really embarrassing thread. I'm blushing reading it. Now stop. Stop now.
Makes me think of Jon Stewart: "It's not that your show is bad, it's that you're hurting America."

yeah.... A-'s do suck. The worst is that you're not allowed to whine about them. It's okay to feel down about a B, but A-'s hurt too. It's like hiding your emotions .....

Well... i guess they're not that bad..lol

I really don’t think A-'s are anything to complain about. The difference in effort between an A- and an A is not substantial. The one A- I received this semester was one I earned. I could have gotten an A and I know that. Spend less time wining and just work a little harder.

shapirrl said:
I really don’t think A-'s are anything to complain about. The difference in effort between an A- and an A is not substantial. The one A- I received this semester was one I earned. I could have gotten an A and I know that. Spend less time wining and just work a little harder.

:laugh: :laugh: the arbitrary lab report grades in biochem weren't really ones you could work harder for. maybe if I kissed more ass, and wore more chapstick... :laugh:

quantummechanic said:

YES! Finally, someone else who feels comfortable admitting this. I agree.

The + - system has only brought my gpa down, but I dont hate A-. I think in some of the courses that I have received an A- that my work was not worthy of an A as I slacked off at the end of the semester. I take a great bit of pride in my work and I think Im almost happier that I didnt get away with bull****ting my way into an A. The + - system more accurately reflects what ones performance is. I wouldnt want someone that scored 10-15 lower than me to get the same grade. That would be somewhat demoralizing. Of course in classes I dont give a **** about I just want an easy A, but when Im interested in a class I dont appreciate bull****. I can say this though since my gpa is still high. Perhaps Is have a different perspective if my gpa sucked.

A professor was gonna give me a B+ once and I kept going to his office and whining so much that he gave me a A-, then I went to his office again bringing the whine to try and get an A but it didnt work. Yeah, those A- stink, so I gave him a stinky review on http://www.ratemyprofessors.com

Thats how I roll.

In my opinion anything starting with an A is great in my book. The only time I would be a little ticked off is if I worked my ass off for a class but end up not gettin the A, especially after missing a cutoff by a few points.

A-'s are the worst. I got A-'s in my Org. Chem series and that really sucked. Then this last quarter I thought I kicked Biochem's fat butt only to find a *&^$%^'n A-. I mean honestly who uses an A-. Its like your half a point away from an A and pissy prof. who probably didn't get accepted to Med school decides to screw you and give you the GPA lowering A- instead of the A. Makes me want to bash some heads every time I see the A-. You should get a jar of vaseline with everyone!