Who else is procreating the year before school starts?

Started by Nanon
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Nanon

An urban myth.
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Or has in the past? I am now 7.5 months pregnant. I know a couple of folks who have had kids in the last few months before starting school. (I'll let them self-identify). My kid is due on July 6th, although I'm really considering scheduling a c-section on the 1st to give myself more time to recover before school starts on Aug. 17th.

This is my second child, so I feel like I at least have a handle on the new baby thing. However, I also know how hard it is to think for six months post-partum. Add to this, we're moving to a state a long way from home. I've pre-planned as much as I can (daycare, pre-school, investigating cool things for the older kid to do, babysitters, etc.), but I find myself worrying about sleep deprivation a lot.

I wouldn't be doing this if I felt like I couldn't, but I could use some advice and commiseration right now. Thanks!
 
My wife is due any second, in fact she may be leaking Amniotic fluid as I type.:nod:
 
Is your spouse going to be really helpful with the baby? And do you have a good daycare situation lined up (if needed)? 1st year of med school can be very challenging, but the good thing is the hours tend to be more predictable vs. 3rd and 4th year, and probably even vs. 2nd year. You generally are not required to attend most of the classes, and some people choose to study more at home, though I personally found going to class helpful. You will definitely have to attend some things all the time, like anatomy lab, or at least you should. Good luck. I admire you!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We talked about it, because my school is PBL, so the first two years would be a good time, but I also decided that from what I had heard about moms in med school - they often have to choose their child over studying, thus, settling for less than the grades they would have gotten. With this in mind, we decided to wait til fourth year to have a baby. I really do respect the parents who manage it, but I am not sure if I could handle a baby versus studying. I have to work really hard for my good grades, so I think waiting til the basic science is over is best for me.
 
Fortunately my wife and I have been preparing for the "bad years." She knows that she will more or less be a single parent. I told her that I will basically be gone from 3rd year till the end of residency. We have a lot of family around us to help as well. I hope the plan proves successful.

As an aside, how may days a month do residents actually work? Do we get a day off a week?
 
My wife is due any second, in fact she may be leaking Amniotic fluid as I type.:nod:

Sweet! Congrats, and keep us updated! 😀

Is your spouse going to be really helpful with the baby? And do you have a good daycare situation lined up (if needed)? 1st year of med school can be very challenging, but the good thing is the hours tend to be more predictable vs. 3rd and 4th year, and probably even vs. 2nd year. You generally are not required to attend most of the classes, and some people choose to study more at home, though I personally found going to class helpful. You will definitely have to attend some things all the time, like anatomy lab, or at least you should. Good luck. I admire you!

My husband totally lucked out and will be working his current job remotely from home, which doesn't mean he'll be a house husband, but does give us some flexibility in terms of time management. And we do have good daycare so far, but you can never really be sure about that until it starts. I think because this is my second, I'm more relaxed about some things (leaving the baby w/ daycare, not having everything be *perfect*, etc.). I'm mostly worried about sleep deprivation, breast feeding, information retention... that kind of thing. I do intend to stay home a lot, especially the first semester!

S.
 
Nanon -

I thought you were planning to defer for a year. What made you change your mind? Personally, I am happy NOT to be expecting this year. 😀 At least I hope not. I live in terror of a positive pregnancy test, haha.
 
positive pregnancy test, haha.

COMPLETELY OT......but speaking of pregnancy tests. I never understood why they sold them in three packs until we were trying to get pregnant.

1st test: Probably a false positive.....yea....not getting hopes up yet.
2nd test: (eyebrows and corners of the mouth go up) time for a high five....but a little doubt still lingers.
3rd test: OK we're pregnant (high five....and other affections 😀)
 
It certainly is amazing how your perspective changes when you're TRYING to get pregnant, isn't it? 😉
 
Nanon -

I thought you were planning to defer for a year. What made you change your mind? Personally, I am happy NOT to be expecting this year. 😀 At least I hope not. I live in terror of a positive pregnancy test, haha.

I was until I had a long talk with the chair of my department about the economy, and his and his wife's experience with having young kids in medical school. In every other way, this is an excellent decision and totally working in our favor. I got a full scholarship, we got a great house in a good neighborhood there and great tenants here, my husband gets to keep his job, my kids are in daycares. I think I'll look back on this time and think, "Well, that was a protracted nervous breakdown, wasn't it?" But I also think this will be totally worth it.

And Eric, I totally agree! :laugh: Only for us, it was:

1st test: 😕
2nd test: 😱:scared: ... 😕
3rd test: :laugh:😳😍
 
It certainly is amazing how your perspective changes when you're TRYING to get pregnant, isn't it? 😉

Yea, I have spend most of my life being told that pregnancy is one of the worst possible consequences of sex (barring the uncurable STDs). Then all of the sudden a switch flips and our family treats us like an offline baby factory.

Plus, to be blunt, having sex for the purpose of pregnancy is ummm, different somehow. It no longer about fun and enjoyment, it's more like a fertility test.
 
Nanon, congrats on a full ride!! That is WONDERFUL! And your husband getting to work remotely is even better. I deferred last year to have my first baby. After talking to the deans at GW as well as moms and dads in first and second years, deferring seemed the right choice for me. I definitely got Mommy Brain after the birth, but my normal brain kicked back in at two months postpartum. My friends and family are telling me that after the births of their 2nd kids, they got back to normal even quicker. This is good news since I'm hoping to have one more baby before I graduate.

I hosted a "Having Babies During Med School" info session for nontrads in L.A. and the speaker was a med school professor who had three babies during med school (as a nontrad) and a fourth during residency. She felt having babies during med school was not difficult, because as babies, her kids could be taken care of by family, friends, nannies, daycares, etc. It wasn't until they got older that they really needed her to be the main caregiver. In her experience, it was during their teenage years when her kids needed her the most. Of course, it's different strokes for different folks, but it can be done and done well! :luck: to you and us all!
 
I thought this thread was about things to do before classes start! 👍

Ahem, my wife is due August 2nd with our second girl. Couldn't be happier! Also, congratulations, Eric!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks all...I'm in love. Even the poo is adorable.
 
Thanks all...I'm in love. Even the poo is adorable.

Ya, talking about baby poo just never seems to get old. :laugh: Congrats again! And Lindindite, thank you for your kind words! 😀

I'm so freaking pregnant now. We're moving next week. Stuff is being packed, mostly not by me, lol. I'm going to sleep as much as I can between now and baby time. Wish me luck!
 
Ya, talking about baby poo just never seems to get old. :laugh: Congrats again! And Lindindite, thank you for your kind words! 😀

I'm so freaking pregnant now. We're moving next week. Stuff is being packed, mostly not by me, lol. I'm going to sleep as much as I can between now and baby time. Wish me luck!
Thanks and best of luck, that last trimester looked like a b!tch!