Who else thinks the entire MD admissions process is bull****?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hooligan

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Too much emphasis on things that are subjective and don't matter, like ECs, and the interview. I doubt the cancer patient who you are cutting open is going to care that you volunteered for big brothers and worked in a biochem lab when you were 18.

Too much emphasis on LoRs, which is pretty much a game of sucking up and hoping you don't get stabbed in the back by an ass hole prof. Doesn't mean much in the long run, but it sure does help out the profs on the adcoms who need some free labor.

Too little emphasis on things that actually matter, like MCAT and GPA.

IMO, admissions should be based on GPA, MCAT, and a pass/fail interview (to screen out the weirdos) ONLY. If you deny this, you are a pinko who simply wants to redistribute wealth by giving the *******es with 3.5 GPAs (who likely come from poor families) a chance of getting in.

Members don't see this ad.

Too much emphasis on things that are subjective and don't matter, like ECs, and the interview. I doubt the cancer patient who you are cutting open is going to care that you volunteered for big brothers and worked in a biochem lab when you were 18.

Too much emphasis on LoRs, which is pretty much a game of sucking up and hoping you don't get stabbed in the back by an ass hole prof.

IMO, admissions should be based on GPA, MCAT, and a pass/fail interview (to screen out the weirdos) ONLY. If you deny this, you are a pinko who simply wants to redistribute wealth by giving the *******es with 3.5 GPAs (who likely come from poor families) a chance of getting in.

U trollin brah?

Members don't see this ad :)
Come to the Caribbeans, we <3 you. :cool:

9k=

Fail

haha its ok . happened to me before too

I agree 100%. most people here are going to judge you and make fun of you though, so just be aware of that.

Last edited:
I don't mean to say I hate it because I'm not getting in. I'm going all the way with the token bull****, including research, shadowing, volunteer work, etc.

The fact is that I'm a player, and nothing is going to stop me from getting in. The only difference is how pissed off I'm going to be while doing it.

Too much emphasis on LoRs, which is pretty much a game of sucking up and hoping you don't get stabbed in the back by an ass hole prof. Doesn't mean much in the long run, but it sure does help out the profs on the adcoms who need some free labor.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX8Qqu_WBIc[/YOUTUBE]

U mad brah?

Members don't see this ad :)

OP has a 4.0/40 but got rejected last cycle.

also, lol @ mitch.

I agree 100%. most people here are going to judge you and make fun of you though, so just be aware of that.

Thanks for the heads up, but I don't care what the clowns on this board think. There's a disproportionate number of *****s on this board, because everybody who gets a good GPA has better things to do.

I don't mean to say I hate it because I'm not getting in. I'm going all the way with the token bull****, including research, shadowing, volunteer work, etc.

The fact is that I'm a player, and nothing is going to stop me from getting in. The only difference is how pissed off I'm going to be while doing it.

Schools don't want people coming in with no idea what they are getting into. Volunteering in a hospital and shadowing make sure you have some idea of what medicine is like before you blow 200k on a career you hate. This also keeps dropout rates low.

Another issue is that it is a freaking cakewalk to get a high GPA if that is your only responsibility. Having other activities (work, leadership roles, tutoring, research, volunteering, etc.) while maintaining a high GPA shows that you can handle a decent workload.

Schools don't want people coming in with no idea what they are getting into. Volunteering in a hospital and shadowing make sure you have some idea of what medicine is like before you blow 200k on a career you hate. This also keeps dropout rates low.

Another issue is that it is a freaking cakewalk to get a high GPA if that is your only responsibility. Having other activities (work, leadership roles, tutoring, research, volunteering, etc.) while maintaining a high GPA shows that you can handle a decent workload.

I bet you have a 3.2 :laugh:

Besides, that's all wrong because you can simply take a few years off after undergrad to get all the token bull**** under your belt.

I can't believe how many people have seriously agreed. GPA and MCAT may be a good predictor of who will perform best in med school, but certainly not who will be the best doctor.

As a wise man once said:

"It's all in the game, yo."

Because they want to screen virgins out .. like yourself

Are GPA and MCAT the most important 2 things for most med schools? Yes.
Should they the only things that matter? Hell no.

It's asinine to think that someone should only need a good GPA and MCAT score to get into med school.

The cancer patient you're cutting open won't care, but volunteering builds character and are indicative of someone who can adapt and has seen enough of the world to practice medicine.

A person with a 3.5 deserves a chance. Why don't they? Not everyone has time to devote to getting that perfect 4.0 GPA.

Wow... what the....

SO you must be be one of those doctors kids who partied too hard got a crappy GPA and now SABA won't even look at you it's that bad...

sorry bout your luck.

Although there are things I am definitely not fond of int he admissions process, it most certainly should NOT be just about numbers.
Why do you think the US produces literally the BEST doctors in the world? In general, they have character.
And, if everything was about gpa/mcat, you, me, and most other regular pre meds would have no shot at getting in. Seriously, there are extreme people who get amazing stats, but often have no character built by extracurriculars.

Hard work and the ability to not give up when things get tough are as important as one's intellectual abilities. Med school isn't for smart pansies, brah. Also, med schools seek diversity as the patient pop is diverse. Lastly, gpa doesn't need anymore weight than it already has due to variance in academic rigor between majors and universities.

LOLOL. OP, would you mind sharing with us which beloved undergraduate institution you are from?

Also, try working TWO jobs while doing all that "bull****" volunteering, non-clinical volunteering, research and such (with a full courseload of course). Then tell me how easy it was getting your 4.0/40. For me, my non-clinical volunteer work has let me meet my best college friends and has been a lot of fun. My clinical stuff--well, I get treated like crap a lot of the time so that's a different story.

However, to get rejected everywhere with stats that high (I think we're all in consensus that the OP was in fact rejected?) you have to interview like a complete troll.

FWIW lots of other countries outside of the US base med school acceptances only on exam scores and school grades.

Schools are trying to evaluate your motivation, your intellectual ability, your compassionate side, your desire to help people etc. I agree with you in that most ECs are BS these days, just a bunch of things that students check off on a list. The problem is schools have nothing else to go on besides grades, MCAT and ECs. Unless you have a better way to evaluate a candidate, there is no changing the current system. And as far as only MCAT/GPA mattering, do you want your physician to be an arrogant prick who is so in love with his own brilliance that he doesn't even have the patience to listen to your symptoms before forming a diagnosis?

the idea of coming up with something you can list on an application form to show that you are a leader instead of a follower, just because the medical school said to do it, is one of those.

It is rather obvious that self-interest, including financial self-interest, and maximizing your own career prospects, instead of altruism, are the real motives for the volunteer and community service hours listed on these forms.

Trying to quantify something like "building character" so that it can be listed on a form and then given a weighted score along with mcat score seems like a stretch.

+1

Without even commenting on the rest of this post, what, exactly, is wrong with a doctor who came from a disadvantaged background? Other than that the experiences they've had have likely built resilience, maturity, empathy, compassion and the importance of the service (health care) they will be providing later? I'm not saying those who come from poverty should have everything handed to them - none of want things handed to us, either, by the way - and most of us are fine working just as hard (if not harder) than the rest of you. Also, kids from rich families screw up in school, too. Kids from poor families do extremely well in school (3.7+), as well.

Also, if someone with a disadvantaged background has a lower cGPA; but strong upward trend, that doesn't make them less deserving. For someone who came from a place with poor or limited education, or from a dysfunctional/abusive situation or one in which there was no money to provide any form of educational enrichment or assistance, transitioning to college level work can be difficult. Many work multiple jobs just to get through. Getting that 3.5 GPA doesn't make them stupid - it means that they may have had rough patches; but overcame something (this goes for other situations, as well - major, life-threatening sickness, for example).

Look, I don't care if you think the admissions process is BS. I hope you NEVER become a doctor. Not everyone is oh so lucky to be born in a nice neighborhood, with wealthy, loving, supportive parents and an easy childhood. Some of us get unlucky. We're born in awful places, with poor and sometimes ill or abusive parents and go through a lot more than most would like to imagine. It doesn't make us stupid. It doesn't make us less deserving. Not in the least. I hope you're trolling; but, if you're not, grow up and get over yourself or get out.

Edit: Oh, and one more thing. Assuming everyone who disagrees with you (or is on this forum) has a low GPA is a really bad way of proving your point. And wrong. Very, very wrong.

^ she mad

;)

Yes, and rightfully so.

As I said, I really hope he's a troll and I just wasted my time. Otherwise, I'm enraged that people with that attitude exist. Coming from a poor background, I can assure you I am not a dumbness, nor am I lazy or asking for some redistribution of wealth. Just, you know, to be treated equally and given the same opportunities as those lucky enough to be born into a nice and sheltered world.

Goodnight, though. :)

Yes, and rightfully so.

As I said, I really hope he's a troll and I just wasted my time. Otherwise, I'm enraged that people with that attitude exist. Coming from a poor background, I can assure you I am not a dumbness, nor am I lazy or asking for some redistribution of wealth. Just, you know, to be treated equally and given the same opportunities as those lucky enough to be born into a nice and sheltered world.

True

It's a game, bro

If you have the intelligence and dedication to get through it, then you have the ability to succeed in med school.

There would be WAY too many people who would drop out if med schools had admissions standards like you posted.

Oh, and trololololololol

Don't play, simple as that. :rolleyes:

Or, build your own med school and make your own rules.

You're becoming a MD, not a PhD. Your GPA/MCAT show how well you can grasp technical details. However, that ultimately doesn't guarantee that you'll become a successful doctor.

There's a lot more to medicine than just being able to correlate symptoms with disease. You have to show yourself to be trustworthy (you're being given very sensitive information by strangers), honest (way too easy to commit fraud/mess with narcotics), be sure that you actually ENJOY medicine (you'll be spending your entire youth doing nothing but studying it), and ultimately come off as compassionate (to get the symptoms in the first place, you need to be able to effectively communicate with not so nice people).

For example, George Harrison's oncologist might have been a very smart man, but he was obviously not a very good doctor (for those of you who don't know the awkward story, read up on it).

http://nymag.com/nymetro/health/features/10817/

TL;DR: House is not a real doctor.

Last edited:
hey OP, 3.0/31 (white boy) ******* over here, made it to a top cali school and am near the top of my class (no doubt you won't believe me, but it's true). guess true character building counts for something, huh?

be a bit more introspective and humble...will def take you further. also, one day you'll be treating a lot of the low lives that you despise - better to cover your disdain for them a little more than in your first post.

Yes, and rightfully so.

I can assure you that you are not a dumbness. :cool:

OP seems like a future radiologist or pathologist. I cannot tell for sure

OP, you must seriously be batsh*t crazy or the fool of fools and most ignorant of ignoramuses if you actually believe one's MCAT and GPA should be any more important in medical school admissions! I have solid numbers, so I don't say this for my benefit, but seriously?!?

The fact is beyond being of a certain amount of intelligence and having a certain level of academic achievement anything further produces very quickly diminishing returns in terms of your future success as a healthcare provider. If you had actually set foot in a hospital for more than a couple of minutes and watched the staff work (including physicians, nurses, techs, and other allied health professionals), you might have realized how important non-academic qualities really are. The fact is that your natural bedside manner is MUCH more important than is your BS score and your ability to work well with others (i.e., "play nice") is far more valuable than your ability to get a 3.8+ GPA.

eh well, when it come down to it, GPA and MCAT matter most. I am sure a person with 4.0 and 40+ mcat doesnt need a a plethora of fillers to boost his apps..
also, you can get awesome ECs, research, life experience, LORs in about 2 years if you absolutely didnt do anyhting. when it come down to it, there ARE people who actaully enjoy research and ECs and not just doing it for the application..

Hey! I found a video of OP:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhLgtTMTklQ[/YOUTUBE]

OP, you must seriously be batsh*t crazy or the fool of fools and most ignorant of ignoramuses if you actually believe one's MCAT and GPA should be any more important in medical school admissions! I have solid numbers, so I don't say this for my benefit, but seriously?!?

The fact is beyond being of a certain amount of intelligence and having a certain level of academic achievement anything further produces very quickly diminishing returns in terms of your future success as a healthcare provider. If you had actually set foot in a hospital for more than a couple of minutes and watched the staff work (including physicians, nurses, techs, and other allied health professionals), you might have realized how important non-academic qualities really are. The fact is that your natural bedside manner is MUCH more important than is your BS score and your ability to work well with others (i.e., "play nice") is far more valuable than your ability to get a 3.8+ GPA.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

like that OP calls himself a player. My diagnosis: sexual frustration. Prognosis: poor... chances of getting laid are slim to none. Treatment: come back on here and post about how you get laid nightly. None of us will believe you but it may help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.