Who got rejected by UPenn?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grmaster1

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my first rejection, which really doesn't matter because I'm in somewhere.

Saw a bunch of people with stellar stats getting the boot from Penn--my guess, they don't like "non-traditional" applicants...

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

grmaster1 said:
I got my first rejection, which really doesn't matter because I'm in somewhere.

Saw a bunch of people with stellar stats getting the boot from Penn--my guess, they don't like "non-traditional" applicants...

Any thoughts?

Like I posted in another thread, I was also rejected from Penn. You're non-traditional? Same here. I wouldn't be surprised if they strongly favored the traditional applicant.. I remember someone from Penn posting that even in awarding of the Dean's Merit Scholarship they dislike giving it to "older" applicants. I'm 24, worked in the business world for a year after graduation, decided to make a career change and went back to school to finish off prereqs, have a 3.87 GPA and 23AA/22PAT, and I was given the boot pre-interview.

What are your stats, grmaster1? Congrats on making it elsewhere, though. We got no worries :)

I also got the Boot without an interview too... i have a 3.5 overall 3.8 bcp. AA22 TS23. i am a non-traditional applicant as well. worked for a few years and went back to finish the prereqs. I also have a business degree... maybe thats the reason?

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't believe the whole "not liking non-trad. students." I got rejected from upenn and i'm finishing up my 4th year in college, i'm 22 and a bio major...sound pretty tradtional, huh?

lovechild404 said:
i don't believe the whole "not liking non-trad. students." I got rejected from upenn and i'm finishing up my 4th year in college, i'm 22 and a bio major...sound pretty tradtional, huh?

The statistical odds are very high on this forum board against the non-traditional applicant to UPenn--I just noticed that and decided to run this thread.

I didn't state that they don't reject other applicants like in your case...

I just really wish that UPenn would just tell me if I am rejected or not. My application was sent out in August, I haven't heard anything from them. I am simply tired of waiting for them. If they don't feel I am good enough for them, then just tell me, so I don't have to check my mail box everyday!!!!!

maybe they are after science majors or something, cuz I got the boot too without an interview and I have an economics major with 24/22/19...3.9 gpa....oh well, guess we will have to wait for other interviews...good luck to everyone..

grmaster1 said:
The statistical odds are very high on this forum board against the non-traditional applicant to UPenn--I just noticed that and decided to run this thread.

I didn't state that they don't reject other applicants like in your case...

I'm sorry to hear about your rejections. I can say that, from personal experience, it has nothing to do with any of you being non-traditional. I'm a non-traditional student (both in terms of age and major) and I would say a fair chunk of our class fits that mold.

I must admit that I am shocked at the stats that some of you who have been rejected are showing. 22+ scores!!

I got accepted Dec 1 with a 19 AA and 20 PAT?!? I might be non-traditional, I am not sure. I am a bio-chem major and am 25 because I took two years off to serve an LDS mission. I really wonder what in my application gave me the advantage with all you who have much higher DAT scores than me. I did some dentistry shadowing in Cambodia for four months, thats the only thing that I can think of that is super-unique....

Do you guys think I am non-traditional?

are8 said:
I must admit that I am shocked at the stats that some of you who have been rejected are showing. 22+ scores!!

I got accepted Dec 1 with a 19 AA and 20 PAT?!? I might be non-traditional, I am not sure. I am a bio-chem major and am 25 because I took two years off to serve an LDS mission. I really wonder what in my application gave me the advantage with all you who have much higher DAT scores than me. I did some dentistry shadowing in Cambodia for four months, thats the only thing that I can think of that is super-unique....

Do you guys think I am non-traditional?

Hey congrats!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: I guess I need some of what attracted them to you. I am still waiting for my letter. Hope it's a acceptance not a rejection. :scared: :scared:

I got rejected pre-interview... 4th year college student, bio and art history major, stats in sig

Penn also rejected me about a month ago (pre-interview). I was a chem major... graduated 4 years ago... spent the last 4 years in Peru teaching English... so I guess you could call me non-traditional.

When I first received the rejection, I was crushed. I couldn't figure out what was "wrong" with me. But I've also noticed the trend on SDN of them rejecting people with really high scores and GPAs...

Why wouldn't they want older applicants? I mean, comon, we're not THAT old. I'm only 27... :confused:

La Miraflorina said:
Penn also rejected me about a month ago (pre-interview). I was a chem major... graduated 4 years ago... spent the last 4 years in Peru teaching English... so I guess you could call me non-traditional.

When I first received the rejection, I was crushed. I couldn't figure out what was "wrong" with me. But I've also noticed the trend on SDN of them rejecting people with really high scores and GPAs...

Why wouldn't they want older applicants? I mean, comon, we're not THAT old. I'm only 27... :confused:

Where in Peru were you?

Members don't see this ad :)
La Miraflorina said:
Lovely Lima.

Arequipa is nice, but I can't say I liked Lima all that much...the traffic and smog are just a bit much to deal with.

i got rejected pre-interview also.. i know its because my gpa isn't up to their standards so im not bitter or sad about it.. every school has it's own standards and what it wants from an applicant. im a 4th yr student majoring in biology and minoring in math and econ.. anyways, congratz for everyone else that got accepted or are still waiting!

Hey all, well I'm with cows...no letter recieved yet from Penn, and I applied in May! I'm thinking Monday will be the best day of my life...worst day of my life...or just another day...I think I'll call Tuesday if there is nothing...I'm tired of waiting.

dexadental said:
Hey all, well I'm with cows...no letter recieved yet from Penn, and I applied in May! I'm thinking Monday will be the best day of my life...worst day of my life...or just another day...I think I'll call Tuesday if there is nothing...I'm tired of waiting.

Same here :( We'll see what happens

I feel the whole application process depends on a combination of stats and luck.
If you file happens to be at the bottom of the stack, or if it happens that a bunch of applicants with 23s were right before they review yours, or if the person that goes over your file wasn't in a good mood, wasn't too fond of a particular type of applicants, it could all contribute to a life changing decision.

I got accepted and I'm non-traditional (in terms of age and major) - in fact I bonded really well with my interviewer b/c she was really impressed that I have had full time working experience...

I'm also a traditional 21-yr old college 4th year student majoring in biology, but I got booted pre-interview as well. I have a 3.49 GPA and 25AA/22PAT..
I really think the process is quite random..

I think this forum is proof of a point I've been trying to make for a while: We cannot try to understand schools simply based on the relation of GPA/DAT and acceptance/rejection! So far both the theories of high GPA, low DAT and "traditional" student preference have all been disproved.

And it's DEFINITELY not random!

Guys, you are forgetting the REST of the application!!! We do not send in GPA and DAT. We also send in an essay, LORs, a description of our honors, our extracurriculars, work experience, dentistry shadowing experience, family member information, and transcripts listing all our coursework (and therefore priorities and academic preferences). Then there are any questions on the secondaries and of course, your personality during the interview!

I'm not trying to sound bitchy, I'm just encouraging people to stop agonizing over one number versus another - I think it causes more stress than we're already all struggling with. That's why I don't list my stats, though I'm happy to tell anyone who's curious.

Why don't people add personal experiences, honors, or extracurriculars on their signatures? Dental schools really do look at the whole picture, so be proud of EVERYTHING you are, and present yourself in the best light!

For all of those who are disappointed for rejection, excited from acceptances: I think that we give the schools enough info that if they reject us, we should trust that we won't match. If they accept us, it's a good indication that we'd do well there!

Be THRILLED with who you are and where you are or are not going!

Hey guys, I talked to Corky on the phone about 30 minutes ago and she basically yelled at me for calling her. Haahahah, she made it sound like I was on the waitlist and that I shoudln't bug the school for at least a week. Then she asked some personal questions to confirm it was really me on the phone...after that, she said, you're in :eek: She gave me a heart attack making it seem like i was going to be rejected ahhaha I guess I deserved it though for calling her and bugging her.

Audio said:
Hey guys, I talked to Corky on the phone about 30 minutes ago and she basically yelled at me for calling her. Haahahah, she made it sound like I was on the waitlist and that I shoudln't bug the school for at least a week. Then she asked some personal questions to confirm it was really me on the phone...after that, she said, you're in :eek: She gave me a heart attack making it seem like i was going to be rejected ahhaha I guess I deserved it though for calling her and bugging her.

Nice job dude!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Congrats. Good things happen to people who wait.

Or those who are not afraid to test the limits. Congrats Audio! Are you gonna attend Penn? :)

duh? said:
Or those who are not afraid to test the limits. Congrats Audio! Are you gonna attend Penn? :)

Maybe. i know it's an amazing school. Just not sure if it's for me. I have no other acceptances so I'll see how it goes. I really want to see Buffalo and of course, there is always the University of Toronto. One thing is for sure, UPENN is a great school wheather i go there or not. Whoever choses to go there, you've made a great choice!

sorry, double

Audio said:
Maybe. i know it's an amazing school. Just not sure if it's for me. I have no other acceptances so I'll see how it goes. I really want to see Buffalo and of course, there is always the University of Toronto. One thing is for sure, UPENN is a great school wheather i go there or not. Whoever choses to go there, you've made a great choice!
You got that right! Good luck with your choices. Do u have a Buffalo interview yet?

duh? said:
You got that right! Good luck with your choices. Do u have a Buffalo interview yet?

Nope, but i'm waiting. I'm thinking of asking Dr. Joynt to sit down with my file and discuss it with me over the phone. I was told that my stats are great and it's mostly the fact that there are a lot of great NY state applicants and then other US applicants. Internationals come third so that's why I didn't get an interview yet. But hopefully they'll look my file over again in the next couple weeks (like they said they would) and give me an interview. I know if I get an interview, I can get in!

Add me to this list. I thought my secondary responses were lame and that's why I got the boot but it seems that very many well qualified applicants also got rejected...oh well. Lets hope I receive at least one interview!

EyeAmCommi said:
Add me to this list. I thought my secondary responses were lame and that's why I got the boot but it seems that very many well qualified applicants also got rejected...oh well. Lets hope I receive at least one interview!

yep dude; my stats are similar to yours, but got the boot recently... funniest thing is that they took a while to respond to me.