Who got their ISP today?

Started by bobbyseal
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

We're not going to be getting it until it is paid for. And it is not going to be paid for until Harry Reid stops trying to get re-elected with his political side-show of attaching DADT repeal to the bill that pays for ISP.

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h5136/show
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-5136

So there's your cash right there (less the cool 25% the feds take off the top, of course)

FYI last year it got direct deposited to my account on 7 December. With all the buffoonery this year, it's probably going after 1 Jan to seriously fsck your 2011 taxes.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've found it's better to think of it as a Christmas bonus instead of the bonus pay you're eligible for on Oct 1. Helps a bit to minimize the anger and frustration. I'd like to at least see the rates posted somewhere, even if it's not yet approved/funded.
 
A continuing resolution was passed last week. We can be paid at last years levels.

I get mine in January with my MSP.
 
Fair enough. I guess I'll have to talk to the dept head and see if there's any news.
 
I signed for my last week. It's the same as last years.

Thank for ths info. Are fiscal year 2011 rates posted somewhere? I am U.S. Army stationed overseas and we do not get much medical admin support here🙄
 
I was told that they were awaiting for the Navadmin message to come out. Last year it came out mid november. Though the years prior it came out in early to mid october. I'm guessing it will be sometime in December this year!
 
my colleague would always calculate the amount of the interest free loan he was giving the government. then he would tell us how much they stole from us by passively aggressively not paying it on time.
 
my colleague would always calculate the amount of the interest free loan he was giving the government. then he would tell us how much they stole from us by passively aggressively not paying it on time.

That's funny - I actually had someone tell me it was less of a big deal this year because bank interest rates are near 0%, and so I wasn't losing much with my interest-free loan to the government. :eyebrow:


I wonder if the powers that be really, really understand how much things like this affect retention. How angry the annual ISP breach-of-contract and outright theft shenanigans make physicians.

I've come to believe that anti-retention is a deliberate goal, and that the military doesn't want us to remain on active duty. But every now and then someone will tell me that the Navy wants me to stay. At the local command level and my specialty community level, I believe them. But it's pretty clear the Surgeons General don't really want career physicians.
 
So long as the HPSP and USUHS pipelines are full, they are happy. For awhile there, HPSP was really struggling, but it seems that recruitment has gone up in the past couple of years. But I guess there are going to be some lean years ahead.

But I digress. It's still insulting to not get this pay. This doesn't seem to happen with ASP or any of the MSP contracts. I don't know what gives.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well over 31 days later, still no ISP. Still no NavAdmin to state what the special pays are. I guess my fall bonus has turned into a winter bonus. Hopefully, I get it before the end of the tax year...
 
Deposited to USAA 10/29 minus 25% to the IRS.

😎How long it takes to be deposit to your bank after you signed a contract? There is so much drama every year and it is pain in ***** process.😡
 
What are the typical payment schedules for the other medical special pays?

Of VSP, ASP, ISP, BCP, MSP which are paid monthly vs yearly lump sum?

VSP BCP monthly
ASP annually, no games, usually July but they'll pay it as soon as you're eligible
ISP annually, always silly games, always after Oct 1st, sometimes as late as Dec
MSP same time as ISP
 
Eh, wut?

They're still telling me 'no message, no ISP' ...

Yeah, I'm wondering if Army and Air Force have already gotten their payments. If this is the case, I think it's ridiculous that Army and Air Force get a pay, but Navy doctors get strung along.
 
Yeah, I'm wondering if Army and Air Force have already gotten their payments. If this is the case, I think it's ridiculous that Army and Air Force get a pay, but Navy doctors get strung along.

Ridiculous and true.

Just a reminder that if you do a fellowship, you can change your dates to your fellowship grad date. One chance to do this, right when you finish. It means you get paid on the old rate but you get your money on time.
 
Ridiculous and true.

Just a reminder that if you do a fellowship, you can change your dates to your fellowship grad date. One chance to do this, right when you finish. It means you get paid on the old rate but you get your money on time.

just another way this system that will pay me in the future sounds unfair.
 
Yeah, I'm wondering if Army and Air Force have already gotten their payments. If this is the case, I think it's ridiculous that Army and Air Force get a pay, but Navy doctors get strung along.

Well my friend this Army doc is still waiting for his ISP which will be the second year in a row Oct came and went without signing for my 'Oct' bonus. So you are not alone.
 
Yeah, normally we get an email that our contracts can be signed around the beginning of october. So now here the end of october I call them up and ask what is going on, turns out that they were ready around the 4th of october, they just hadn't gotten around to getting them out.

The Army is really quick to charge us for expense and loss with ridiculous interest, how about paying me with interest for their lazy ass employees!
 
Yeah, normally we get an email that our contracts can be signed around the beginning of october. So now here the end of october I call them up and ask what is going on, turns out that they were ready around the 4th of october, they just hadn't gotten around to getting them out.

The Army is really quick to charge us for expense and loss with ridiculous interest, how about paying me with interest for their lazy ass employees!

It's funny. If it wasn't for this website I would be still be waiting.These employees do not send notifications. They just don't care. I filed a complaint for their laziness to the OIC and she told me that ISP is not a right.
 
It's funny. If it wasn't for this website I would be still be waiting.These employees do not send notifications. They just don't care. I filed a complaint for their laziness to the OIC and she told me that ISP is not a right.

Yeah that is just what you want to hear from your OIC that it is not 'a right'. Well if that is the case then it is fraud for the Army to use medical corps bonuses to promote for HPSP etc. My OIC and the other folks in the 'company' have done nothing but make leave increasingly difficult to submit, lose my paperwork, and then make statements like the above. I love the Army, I love the Army, I love the Army...its not working.
 
Last year the medical specialty pay message was sent out on 11/16/2009. So, it left 2 pay periods for people to get the paperwork filed to get paid. Let's see if they follow suit again this year.
 
I am Army, sent in my ISP contract October 21st. I haven't received my payment yet, am I alone? Just wondering if somehow I did something wrong (this is my first year out of residency), or if others are in the same boat.

Does it usually take a couple of weeks to "go through"? Thanks for any help here.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am Army, sent in my ISP contract October 21st. I haven't received my payment yet, am I alone? Just wondering if somehow I did something wrong (this is my first year out of residency), or if others are in the same boat.

Does it usually take a couple of weeks to "go through"? Thanks for any help here.

It depends and on average it takes about 4 weeks to receive the payment in the bank after you sign.

This process

1. Personnel initiates contract
2. ISP contract signs by the soldier
3. ISP contract signs by commander
4. ISP contract mails to OTSG and they process it.
5. DFAS pays

Sometimes the rate limiting step is step 1 and 3 and there is nothing you can do about it.🙄

You can contact AMEDD special pay branch (OTSG) and/or DFAS to check the status. My pay website doesn't help. Also according to MC special pay policy 2010 the DFAS may take up to 90 days to process the payment. It appears that they pay this lump sum at/near pay period and I suspect that you will get this by end of Nov.

This whole process tells me that the military is not serious about paying the physicians on time.😡
 
Had a question for those with a little experience in Navy ISP. For a complex reason I don't want to go into, I would have a tax advantage if I collect my ISP in 2011. Yes I know that means I would get two ISP check in 2011, but still an advantage. I'm thinking that with this year's delay it might be pretty easy to do. Are there any problems with doing this?
1. Does BUMED care
2. Even if I apply late, can I still keep my anniversary date retroactive to 1 October.

The only issues I could foresee are 1) BUMED gets mad and it creates some admin nightmare 2) My subsquent ISPs are now based on a later date, and I would have to extend my PRD beyond 1 October to collect ISP in my last year.

Thoughts, insights, experiences.
 
Had a question for those with a little experience in Navy ISP. For a complex reason I don't want to go into, I would have a tax advantage if I collect my ISP in 2011. Yes I know that means I would get two ISP check in 2011, but still an advantage. I'm thinking that with this year's delay it might be pretty easy to do. Are there any problems with doing this?
1. Does BUMED care
2. Even if I apply late, can I still keep my anniversary date retroactive to 1 October.

The only issues I could foresee are 1) BUMED gets mad and it creates some admin nightmare 2) My subsquent ISPs are now based on a later date, and I would have to extend my PRD beyond 1 October to collect ISP in my last year.

Thoughts, insights, experiences.

Once the message comes out, it will have deadline to keep from moving your ISP date. Its usually 30 days after the message. Otherwise you end up in the limbo of retroactive requests. So, you really don't have a lot of control. If the message isn't out in the next couple of weeks, it might work out for you.
 
Email sent out this morning suggesting the NAVADMIN "may" be released Dec 1st or thereabouts.

November 18, 2010: The MC/DC, NC, and Pharmacy Officer NAVADMINs are currently at PERS being reviewed before signature. It is anticipated the MC/DC and NC NAVADMINs may be released by Dec 1, 2010. There has been no indication from PERS as to when they anticipate the Pharmacy Officer NAVADMIN to be released. Since the release of these NAVADMINs will occur so close to the end of the calendar tax year, in fact there will only be two weeks in which a special pay will have to be paid from DFAS in order to effect this tax year. So, those members who plan on requesting special pays should prepare their agreements now, just don't date them until the applicable NAVADMIN is released.
 
I see the navadmins for pharmacists and nurses have come out. Still waiting on the medical corps....
 
NavAdmin is out. You can do the special pays.

Came here to post this. 🙂 Hopefully this embarrassing and inexcusable display of naval incompetence won't result in 2011 tax problems.

I have to wonder though, exactly where in the Navy was the missing link? Given the fact that Army and AF physicians received their ISP some time ago, this delay is clearly a Navy problem caused by Navy personnel. This latest delay isn't the fault of Congress. This isn't a "fiscal year" accounting shell game. This was one or more people in the Navy who were irresponsible and incompetent.

So, who was it?
 
Came here to post this. 🙂 Hopefully this embarrassing and inexcusable display of naval incompetence won't result in 2011 tax problems.

I have to wonder though, exactly where in the Navy was the missing link? Given the fact that Army and AF physicians received their ISP some time ago, this delay is clearly a Navy problem caused by Navy personnel. This latest delay isn't the fault of Congress. This isn't a "fiscal year" accounting shell game. This was one or more people in the Navy who were irresponsible and incompetent.

So, who was it?

It was me. Sorry guys.
 
A guy who has been in the medical business a long time told me never mess with a guy's money or his woman. The Navy has a habit of doing both! WTF they need to get their act together on the pay stuff.

I've come to the conclusion recently that retention tool means obligating someone to more service vs. improving working conditions to entice them into staying!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can someone tell me about the different _SP's out there (ISP, MSP, etc.) and what they are for? I am going into Navy EM as a FAP applicant and am weighing IBR vs just consolidating my loans now and going full force on paying them as fast as possible and knowledge of the different bonuses out there will help me determine my salary as a Navy doc. Thanks!
 
Can someone tell me about the different _SP's out there (ISP, MSP, etc.) and what they are for? I am going into Navy EM as a FAP applicant and am weighing IBR vs just consolidating my loans now and going full force on paying them as fast as possible and knowledge of the different bonuses out there will help me determine my salary as a Navy doc. Thanks!

ASP - additional special pay, $15K/year everyone not currently in training gets it
VSP - variable special pay, everyone gets it per the military pay tables based on time in service
ISP - incentive specialty pay, specialty specific, residency trained people get it ... eventually, when the Navy feels like getting around to paying it, usually very very late
BCP - board certified pay, $2500/year paid monthly after you pass specialty boards
MSP - multiyear special pay, people who are NOT currently serving out obligated service can get this if they sign up for an additional 2, 3, or 4 years

I think that covers it.


As a FAP you'll get ASP, VSP, ISP, and after you pass your boards, BCP. You'd be eligible for MSP after your FAP contract is up, if you decided to stay in.
 
ASP - additional special pay, $15K/year everyone not currently in training gets it
VSP - variable special pay, everyone gets it per the military pay tables based on time in service
ISP - incentive specialty pay, specialty specific, residency trained people get it ... eventually, when the Navy feels like getting around to paying it, usually very very late
BCP - board certified pay, $2500/year paid monthly after you pass specialty boards
MSP - multiyear special pay, people who are NOT currently serving out obligated service can get this if they sign up for an additional 2, 3, or 4 years

I think that covers it.


As a FAP you'll get ASP, VSP, ISP, and after you pass your boards, BCP. You'd be eligible for MSP after your FAP contract is up, if you decided to stay in.

Thanks so much for that summary!
 
I got my ISP last night.

1 week from NAVADMIN --> deposit is pretty good, reflects well upon the guys down the hall who got their end of it done efficiently.

See y'all in next year's thread.

I just checked my bank account. I finally got mine in as well yesterday. ISP less 31.5% tax. I imagine it's my state tax that is generating the extra tax deduction.