1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Who has gotten interviews/acceptances with below 24 MCAT??

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by njdesi, Sep 26, 2002.

1. njdesi

njdesi Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I am really frustrated at this point with the application process to DO schools. I have studied the osteopathic philosophy and even shadowed a DO and will start with another one soon. I thought they looked at the whole applicant. But I am finding some of the DO schools out there are more numbers oriented than they are willing to admit. I thought I had a decent application only to be told by such places as KCOM, UMDNJ, NOVA, PCOM, UNE, CCOM that my 23 Q is sub par. I am waiting on my August scores as well but I am down in the dumps right now. Is there still hope for me? I would like any input from people who have gotten in with less than a 24 on the MCAT. Thanks SDNers!!!!!!!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pkdesi79

pkdesi79 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi Nj

I know someone who got into NYCOM with a 20 MCAT but she had an UNBELIEVABLY high undergrad gpa. So I guess if you can compensate for the MCAT with a high gpa or extracurriculars and recomendations than you'll be fine.
    I'm having the same problem though so I know how you feel :(

but it's not over yet so chin up!

Good luck

4. cholecalciferol

cholecalciferol Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

NJdesi,

I totally understand your frustration. Last year I applied to 8 DO schools and was interviewed with 19 MCAT (long story). Nevertheless, I was waitlisted. I retook the MCAT and scored a 23 (still not my best but hey) and I am going to be interviewing at AZCOM, who didnt offer me an interview last year. As far as I can tell, the whole process is pretty random so just take your shot and take it from there. Hope this helps and keep your head up...

Fred

5. Doctortobee

Doctortobee Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I have an interview with UHS with a 20 MCAT, 3.8 overall, 3.6 science...I also have an internship with a DO and many unique EC's.

6. AntGod22

AntGod22 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I just got a interview request from NJCOM for october 17th. I have only a 20 MCAT score with a M on the writing. I have a 3.30 science and CUM GPA. Im still waiting for my august mcat scores hopefully a good score on that will seal me a accpectance. Good luck to you all.

7. drchris33

drchris33 MSIV
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I just want to say to not give up. This past year, I received only two interviews from applying to two DO schools and 13 MD schools. I only had a 21 on the MCAT.

And you know what.........right now I am a first year at UHS; so anything is possible. I had a lot of healthcare experience and ECs was well.

My advice is that if you don't get in this year, do something over the next year that will make you a better applicant: take graduate courses, do some research, get certified as a phlebotomist, EMT or something like that. Just do something to improve your app and if need be, retake the damn MCAT!

Hope this helps. I have a section final today so I have to go study. Good luck y'all!

Chris