Who has had a full time GA position?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TennesseeOT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm actually an OT student, but I hope you all don't mind me asking this in your forum. The OT forum is primarily pre-OT and once students get into school they all abandon it. Also, it's mostly master level students and I will be attending a doctoral program.

I was recently accepted into a doctoral OT program and awarded a full time GA position that pays full tuition plus a monthly stipend (I start both school and the position in Aug). I was ecstatic, of course, until I told my program director who wasn't very happy about it :wtf:. She thinks it will be very difficult for me to complete my coursework with a full time GA position (20 hours/week). I've always worked part time through school, but I also understand that grad school is an entirely different animal. I'm inclined to try to juggle the two against my director's advice.

I was wondering if anyone had done a full time GA position and if you could give some insight as to whether I'm going to die or not (lol). I know I won't have time for social activities, but that's not a major concern of mine.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

What kind of GA position is it? I knew a girl who worked as an ATC while in PT school and she did fine (she would work before/after class with the team and weekends for games). I also know someone who worked as a live-in residence hall director while in PT school. I think a lot of it depends on the type of work and the commitment. The ATC was a relevant position so she could apply her knowledge from class, and the RD could study on duty as long as she made her rounds and could answer an emergency call if needed.

@DancerFutureDPT It's a research position in the nursing department, so it will definitely benefit me. It's in a kind of random department, but luckily it's still health related. The professor I'm working with said I can primarily work from home and meet with her for 2 hours/week. I'll be doing a lot of data entry, searching for for resources, and possibly some writing.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's all about your strength with time management and what you feel comfortable with... Plenty of my classmates had part time jobs and one of my good friends in the program actually still managed to work full-time while attending school full-time. Now, that's extreme, but hey, it happens!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a SPT2 and I have a GA position at my school. As long as you have your priorities in line and can manage your time well then you should be fine.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

20 hours my 1st year, but now I work 15 hours.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

@nismo13 Thank you, that makes me feel a lot better to hear it straight from someone who has done it.

No problem. Like I said, it is not easy. But it is definitely doable and worth the time and effort.