Who hoods you at commencement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

swoopyswoop

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wondering. At my school it is an assigned physician, or you can choose your parents if they are MDs. I have a friend whose school lets their parents do it regardless of MD or not.

So:

any schools let you choose who hoods you? do they need to have MDs?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My school only had our Deans do the hooding. No parents. Parents were allowed to put on the white coats if they were MDs (though I think the only ones who did were alumni of the school as well, so that might also be a requirement) at the white coat ceremony.
 
At my school, the deans do the hooding. However, if you have a parent with a doctoral degree (any kind), they allow the parent to hood you. My dad is an attorney (JD), so he will be allowed to hood me!
 
We vote for 3 physician faculty members to do the hooding and then when we get on stage we can choose which one we want to hood us. They're usually favorite clinical professors that are widely liked. Alternatively, physician parents can hood their kid.
 
Parents and family members get to do the hooding at graduation. Students with physician parents who are on faculty at the school can have their parents coat them at the white coat ceremony as well (the rest of us get coated by the 8 chosen faculty members that do the coating).
 
Can someone tell me what hooding is? Did I just stumble upon the social website used by the Illuminati?
 
Can someone tell me what hooding is? Did I just stumble upon the social website used by the Illuminati?
commencement1_DSC_5026.jpg


Your doctoral hood is worn after conferment of your degree. It's a symbolic thing going back to Medieval universities and each field of study has its own color. Medicine = bright green.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We have deans/associate deans hood us. It can be an immediate family member if they're a DO, MD, PharmD, RPh, DMD or DDS.

I just want a floppy hat, but I don't think my school uses those 🙁
Noooooo! The only reason I'm okay with sitting through our 3+ hour graduation is that I get to wear my floppy hat (and see my friends. But I could see them with drinks somewhere else, so it's really the hat)
 
Realize it's a bit of a necrobump, but we elect a few faculty to hood people like at Ismet's school if you don't have a preference. You can also request any faculty member to hood you or make a request to have someone else approved (not sure what the requirements are, but I believe it has to be a physician). I'll be having my one of my attendings hood me as he was the reason I entered my chosen field and was a great mentor.

I'm so disappointed. 9 replies without a genitalia joke?? 😢

So is it safe to assume you ended up in uro?
 
we didn't call ours floppy hats, we chose to think of the whole thing as a Harry Potter School of Wizarding outfit, partly because our institution's campus is the most like Hogwarts of any med school

I still have my wizard's cap

we didn't get to keep the beautiful satin hoods which I think was criminal after $350,000 in debt