Who In Your Family Is A Doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

• Total voters

IWant2BeADoctor

License to Matriculate
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

What have they said about Medicine? And how has it influenced your choice on being a Doctor.

Well no one my family who is a MD or DO in my family but my dad has a PhD from Yale. All he's said so far is that if he had to do it all again he would be a MD instead of a PhD.

As for me I've only been interested in being a Doctor during my College years. Simply because I never really seriously considered what I wanted to be until I was Sophomore year of Undergrad.

Members don't see this ad.

What the hell happened to siblings

my mom has an associates
i have an uncle who has a bachelors

that's the extent of education on both sides of my family..

my girlfriend is getting a PhD and her dad is an MD, though

Members don't see this ad :)
No one. My family seems to be composed of either teachers (my mom's side), or engineers (my dad's side). My dad is a dentist, though. He is a doctor (albeit not a medical doctor) and my mom has a BBA.

My mom and aunt all got their MDs and decided to head into benchtop research instead. They actually warned me about clinical medicine and how it's not for everyone.

No one. My family seems to be composed of either teachers (my mom's side), or engineers (my dad's side). My dad is a dentist, though. He is a doctor (albeit not a medical doctor) and my mom has a BBA.

Wow! My mom was an elementary school teacher and my father was an electrical engineer. :eek:

Wow! My mom was an elementary school teacher and my father was an electrical engineer. :eek:

Haha, are you my cousin? :laugh: Trust me, I wouldn't know, I have too many to keep track of them.

it seems that most people don't have any relatives who are doctors (myself included). why do you think this is? is it because once a person becomes a doctor, none of their relatives want to anymore? (ie, it seems that many children of doctors don't want to be physicians?) i'm just wondering...

it seems that most people don't have any relatives who are doctors (myself included). why do you think this is? is it because once a person becomes a doctor, none of their relatives want to anymore? (ie, it seems that many children of doctors don't want to be physicians?) i'm just wondering...

It's because doctors don't reproduce, they are too busy for that. Eventually the family gets smaller and smaller and smaller....

Dad was but he died when I was young so hasn't been an influence in my decision to pursue medicine. I think I've been influenced more by personal interest and role models I've met along the way than anyone in my circle of family or friends. :)

Well I have a distant cousin who's dad is a doctor. He actually seems to encourage going into medicine but i think that's a desi thing. That same cousin's more immediate first cousin is finishing up either med school or residency right now.

hahahahaha

Anyhow, outside of him most of the rest of the people we know in medicine are family friends but not actual blood related relatives.

As per my own family, my father is an engineer as is my older brother. My mom had a degree in English and minor in psychology back in the 70's but never did anything with it. She ended up becoming a stay at home mom and later working at 7-11 and then as a bank teller which is what she currently does.

My other older brother is a bank examiner (auditer) for the Office of Compcontroller of Currency under the dept. of treasury.

On my mom's side of the family most everyone is in business. In India my mom's home state is especially where a lot of people who are into business reside because the traditional caste system of the ancient day had a lot of the people from the merchant class coming from gujarat.

My dad's side of the family, well I'm not quite sure what my grandfather did but I think he was an engineer as well. My dad's older sister is a part time teacher and the younger one is a PhD in microbiology as well as her husband. So there you have it. Not really anyone in medicine in my family for the most part.

It's because doctors don't reproduce, they are too busy for that. Eventually the family gets smaller and smaller and smaller....

Well that and if they do reproduce a lot of the times kids tend to be discouraged by seeing the long hours their parents worked which left little time for them. Well that's true of those who have parents in really bad time demanding specialties. In other cases the parents discourage them from going into medicine because of all the other things that occur in medicine. That said, a couple of family friends involved the fathers being doctors and all the children going into medicine as well. Those children then married doctors on top of it. So its not true that all doctors kids don't go into medicine. Of course then again the cases I know of are purely desi cases and desi people tend to be different then americans.

Well that and if they do reproduce a lot of the times kids tend to be discouraged by seeing the long hours their parents worked which left little time for them. Well that's true of those who have parents in really bad time demanding specialties. In other cases the parents discourage them from going into medicine because of all the other things that occur in medicine. That said, a couple of family friends involved the fathers being doctors and all the children going into medicine as well. Those children then married doctors on top of it. So its not true that all doctors kids don't go into medicine. Of course then again the cases I know of are purely desi cases and desi people tend to be different then americans.

I was joking about the reproduction thing, by the way.

Most of the families I've met whose parents are doctors tend to have at least one child who also chooses to go into medicine. On the other hand, there is that natural instinct to contradict our parents in everyway possible, so that maybe while there aren't many SDNers whose parents are doctors (if they were doctors, we would all be pre-law or in business).

Members don't see this ad :)
My grandfather was a dermatologist. He died of skin cancer and was doing research on his own cancer cells to the end, I never met him but I'm sure that story and my family's respect for him influenced how I view physicians and their role in society.

I was joking about the reproduction thing, by the way.

Most of the families I've met whose parents are doctors tend to have at least one child who also chooses to go into medicine. On the other hand, there is that natural instinct to contradict our parents in everyway possible, so that maybe while there aren't many SDNers whose parents are doctors (if they were doctors, we would all be pre-law or in business).

hahahahaha :D :p
:laugh: :laugh:

No but seriously, I do know some people who applied to med school and were told they shouldn't go into medicine by their parents who were also doctors. Then I know of cases where the parents spending too much time with work because they are in a demanding field has led to divorce and hence again kids not wanting to go into medicine.

Then I know parents who push their kids into medicine. So it is all relative and swings both ways.

My grandfather was a dermatologist. He died of skin cancer and was doing research on his own cancer cells to the end, I never met him but I'm sure that story and my family's respect for him influenced how I view physicians and their role in society.
there was a really famous cancer biologist at dana farber who died while doing the same...you're not his grandchild are you?!

Most of my family is in healthcare in some way or another. Some are doctors, dentists, nurses, hospital administrators, and so forth.
The ones who aren't doctors tell me that they absolutely love what they do, but it would be so much better if they were doctors.
The ones who are doctors say they love what they do, but the politics of it gets them down. Then again, a lot of them are IMGs so they have a whole bunch of extra issues.

I have listened to all of them. And I have decided that I accept all the downsides my doctor relatives have told me about.

Actually, I didn't decide to go into health care until recently. I changed my mind a lot as a kid. I had a lot of respect for healthcare because I see how hard my family members work, but I didn't always think it would be right for me. I made the decision based on experiences I had in late high school and early college.

No one in my family is one (first to enter college in my fam & relatives). You should also throw in there "I am a doctor" for those who are beyond med school :)

The grass is always greener on the other side.

Doctors complain about the politics and the litigation part. But people who aren't doctors complain about their jobs just as much.

That is why you should just do something you enjoy.

I'll be the first person in my family to actually graduate from a University with a Bachelors, let alone two majors, at any University...

Lets see... my mother, uncle, grandfather, great-grandfather, and great-great-grandfather were all doctors, but actually none of them (except my mother a little) had anything to do with my decision. I guess it really got in my blood though! Actually my family is pretty bored with my decision to be a doc- not too exciting to them i guess. :rolleyes:

I stopped reading this thread and did not vote after I saw there was no option for "siblings." This thread should be closed for gross negligence.

Lets see... my mother, uncle, grandfather, great-grandfather, and great-great-grandfather were all doctors, but actually none of them (except my mother a little) had anything to do with my decision. I guess it really got in my blood though! Actually my family is pretty bored with my decision to be a doc- not too exciting to them i guess. :rolleyes:

That makes sense that it was your mom that mostly had an impact on you. I think most of the time, not always but most of the time, a parent's career can have a huge impact on their children later in their life by causing them to pursue similar paths to their parents.

And yeah I'd imagine that the only people who get uber excited about it are those who come from poorer backgrounds or backgrounds where the parents aren't in medicine because those people don't understand medicine beyond the salary many of the times. They see the wealth of many doctors but not the actual lifestyle they live.

My parents are asian, does that count?

(lol, just jk.. my mom is a MD in china... but still, I think that asian parents push their kids to become doctors all the time...)

MD's
Paternal grandpa (Infectious disease and tropical medicine)
Dad (Hematologist/Oncologist)
In 2 months my brother and I get our MD's from Tulane, him (radiology) and me (anesthesiology)
2 uncles (married into the family, but they watched me grow up, they didn't marry in while I was older. They are a urologist and an orthopedic surgeon)
2 "uncles" (Dad's cousin and Dad's best friend from med school. People I just call "uncle", but come to the big family reunions). Opthalmologist and general surgeon.
1 cousin who is finishing med school in another country

DDS
Aunt (Dad's sister)

I think we can start out own clinic!! We still need a pathologist though!!

eh, there's a distant/very-far-removed cousin of mine, he's basically the only one... he's not really an immediate family member... so, basically no one here

there was a really famous cancer biologist at dana farber who died while doing the same...you're not his grandchild are you?!

nope, that would be neat thou huh? my granfather treated JFKs dad though when JFK was in office. They snuck him in and out of the compound because they thought an illness in the family would be viewed as weak.

lot's of nurses in my family, but no doctors. if things keep going the same way, it doesn't look like i'll break the trend...

im the bajillionth (10th) doctor in the family

As far back as my family history goes, there hasn't been a doctor. But since I had cancer as a child it isn't all that surprising that I chose medicine as a career. What is interesting, is that my brother has decided to go to medical school as well, specifically to learn about plastic surgery for people who have undergone some sort of surgery that leaves highly visibly scars (like me).

Both my mom and father in law have PhDs in a biomedical science.

My parents don't like MDs (well they do now :rolleyes: ). They were somewhat disappointed in my decision to abandon my Ph.D. program with an MS. My parents' attitude and taking the MCAT were the most difficult part of making the decision to leave research science for clinical medicine.

Not docs anywhere in my bloodline, and my parents don't know that I'm in med school.

You are 61 times more likely to become a doctor than somebody else if one of your parents is a doctor.

'Ol Gramps: M.D.

As far back as my family history goes, there hasn't been a doctor. But since I had cancer as a child it isn't all that surprising that I chose medicine as a career. What is interesting, is that my brother has decided to go to medical school as well, specifically to learn about plastic surgery for people who have undergone some sort of surgery that leaves highly visibly scars (like me).

We call that RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGERY!!

Plastic surgery comes in two forms:

Reconstructive and Cosmetic.

The former deals with people like severe burn victims or people who've had some sort of major alteration leading to need for plastic surgery.

Cosmetic surgery deals with people wanting to enhance their physical looks.

Now where in there does breast transplants for say breast cancer victims or things of that nature fall. I don't have a freaking clue.

But I'd say that what you are talking about is probably reconstructive surgery.

Not docs anywhere in my bloodline, and my parents don't know that I'm in med school.

You are 61 times more likely to become a doctor than somebody else if one of your parents is a doctor.

Really???? How come your parents don't know what you are doing? Do you not talk to them?

Both my mom and father in law have PhDs in a biomedical science.

My parents don't like MDs (well they do now :rolleyes: ). They were somewhat disappointed in my decision to abandon my Ph.D. program with an MS. My parents' attitude and taking the MCAT were the most difficult part of making the decision to leave research science for clinical medicine.

Ok so I'm confused, do they do research or are they lawyers?? Well if they are lawyers just remind them that the general public has even less respect for lawyers then they do doctors. hahaha

father in law (i.e. wife's dad), i dont think he meant father practicing in law. I think he means that his father in law and his mom have phds (and most likely research) and werent fond of MDs (MDs and PhDs seem to have a long standing feud lol).

Really???? How come your parents don't know what you are doing? Do you not talk to them?

Email only. I don't discuss my education with anybody outside of my school. I still work as a med tech, and I consider that my master status as far as others are concerned. I may tell others by M3.

Unlike many, I am actually not proud of my career decision. It's hopefully a trade that will offer a way to get my previous educational debt paid for, but I don't view it as a calling or privelege.

My family is completely blue collar. They'd be more interested to know why I'm not producing grandchildren than what I do for a living.

Email only. I don't discuss my education with anybody outside of my school. I still work as a med tech, and I consider that my master status as far as others are concerned. I may tell others by M3.

Unlike many, I am actually not proud of my career decision. It's hopefully a trade that will offer a way to get my previous educational debt paid for, but I don't view it as a calling or privelege.

My family is completely blue collar. They'd be more interested to know why I'm not producing grandchildren than what I do for a living.

Ha! Its kinda funny reading the last line of your post right afte I just read Severus's post in another thread basically saying the same thing as you about her family. Yeah I understand how it is harder to talk to people who don't understand.

father in law (i.e. wife's dad), i dont think he meant father practicing in law. I think he means that his father in law and his mom have phds (and most likely research) and werent fond of MDs (MDs and PhDs seem to have a long standing feud lol).

Ohhh oops!! :laugh: :laugh:

That makes more sense.

What have they said about Medicine? And how has it influenced your choice on being a Doctor.

Well no one my family who is a MD or DO in my family but my dad has a PhD from Yale. All he's said so far is that if he had to do it all again he would be a MD instead of a PhD.

As for me I've only been interested in being a Doctor during my College years. Simply because I never really seriously considered what I wanted to be until I was Sophomore year of Undergrad.

**** I didn't answer correctly. My dad is a Juris Doctor, but I was only thinking Doctor as in physician... my bad. I answered "No One" when I really meant father I guess...

you are right-I was referring to my father-in-law (husband's dad).

But actually it's my parents who weren't supportive of my decision (Dad is in business). My in-laws were supportive of my decision. not that anyone cares...:laugh:

you are right-I was referring to my father-in-law (husband's dad).

But actually it's my parents who weren't supportive of my decision (Dad is in business). My in-laws were supportive of my decision. not that anyone cares...:laugh:

thanks for clarifying. Yeah that's what I get for reading your post too fast. hahaha

my great uncle was a physician and he is the only one in the family (until me).

Let's see...both my grandpas, my dad, one uncle, two aunts, and two cousins. That's an Indian family for you, I guess...

Let's see...both my grandpas, my dad, one uncle, two aunts, and two cousins. That's an Indian family for you, I guess...

hahahaha

soooooo true!! Not my family but several people we know are that way. One guju family we know up north of where we live has 9 doctors in their family. The wife is a pediatrician and their 4 kids are docs and married docs.

No one, I am going to be the first :) . My mom owns a taxi service company and my dad was a journalist before he passed away. I have one brother who has earned a BS degree and one in high school.

First in my family to attend college...and now first to attend professional school.