Who is going to SLU for sure?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adi Prasad

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey peeps, I just wanted to know who is sure they are going to SLU and where they are in the process, where are you living? Where are you from? Why SLU? Anyone down for a kegger after the first couple of weeks?

Members don't see this ad.

hey adi,
I am headed to SLU as well. I am packing up this week and leaving thursday to drive there from cali. I found an apt. in south city, about 2 miles from the school. The place is huge (900 sq ft) and not costing anything near an arm and a leg. There are a couple reasons why I like SLU - they have a great match result and I had a really great interview there and I was impressed with how they set up the curriculum. And really affordable housing. All in all it shouldn't be too bad. The only thing I have to get used to is the weather. Being in cali this past year (after being in boston for five years) got me to used to dry heat.
Did you get an apt yet?

Kegger? I am always up for a party.

Hey Chained to BU,
I just got in off the waitlist last week so I don't have an apartment yet. I have some family that lives about 30 minutes from the school so I am gonna crash with them and scope our different areas, and then sign a lease the week after orientation. Have you squared away your financial aid stuff? After you turn in their form, how long did it take for them to get back to you about your package? I feel you about the whether, I live in Westwood and I still need to wear sweatshirts at night. How is the area around your apartment? Did you find it online, if so, what website did you use?
Take it easy,
Adi

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, I am coming too. I am actually flying down tomorrow to find an apartment then moving out Friday!! I am quickly losing my mind. They seem to be quick with FA, however, my file is sitll not complete and I am nervous about that. I got accepted early July and I am the reason it is not processed yet....
I am going to look for an apt in the HILL area and ST LOuis Hills.
If any of you have tips, let me know!
I also found lots of good deals in the area south of school, but I was told a single female living there is not the best idea.....
see you soon!:)

I am from Chicago and moving Saturday morning. My short 5 hour drive will be nothing compared to the rest of you. I am living in a pretty nice river front high rise in the downtown area. A one-bedroom convertible in this building is easily in our budget, and it is cheaper than most studios in the Central West End. From what I gather, I will probably be the only student living downtown.

I am going to SLU because it is the only place that I got accepted. However, my lack of options does not disappoint me in the least. I like SLU for their competitive match list and the modern curriculum. I also like the presence of an undergrad campus near by, which offers a nice athletic center and intramural soccer. Also, the city of St. Louis is very affordable and there is a lot to do. My only complaint is the facilities are not as nice as the Chicago schools with whom I interviewed, but from what I have heard from other students, there are schools with worse facilities than SLU.

I will see you guys in a few days, and I am holding you to that kegger invitation.

scholes,
You mind if I ask the name of the building you are talking about, I want to check it out when I get there.
-Adi

Hello to my SLU people....

I have been resisting the temptation to post because I'm not sure about the "for sure" part. I'm waitlisted at my state school and still holding out for a miracle...

However, if the miracle doesn't happen then SLU is where I'm headed (I'm planning to be there by Aug 1). Just to get it straight, I'm not down about going to SLU.. It really is a solid school. Financially, it's tough; I don't know about how the financial packet looked for everbody else but I got a whopping $0.00 of grant money ($49,000 in loans!!). To those attending SLU, does grant money get any better after the first year???

Anyway, to those of you looking for housing here are some suggestions ( I was up there a couple of weeks ago looking for housing). Immediate area around campus is very sketchy.. I would not get anything without taking a good look around the neighborhood. People suggest Soulard, but again my experience with the area was mixed... I think some areas are definately OK but I think you'll need more knowledge than a casual "look around" to find them. Soulard's "King Louis Square" looked the nicest (314-621-6256) but they had absolutely nothing available while I was around. Just so you guys know, a 3 BR there runs for ~$ 800 (gettin' that would help out the cash situation!!).

I would suggest getting something safe (even if its pricey and a little further out) for the first semester- what's a couple of hundred when you drop 35 grand on tuition??? Central West End seemed very student friendly (Wash U & SLU overlap). Nice apartments available at reasonable prices and short 6- month leases and a reasonable 5 minute drive.. (http://www.watermansquare.com - own a couple of apartment units in the area). I went with Union Square (6 months lease, studio, 495 +electricity). Make sure you ask about PARKING (it can be extra with high-rise units) and tell them you're a student (some places offer discounts)...

If you wanna try a bit further out and don't mind commuting, University City is NICE. This is prodominately Wash U territory (btw I got WASHU ENVY..). Pricey but the environment is a beautiful thing.. ( If you're lookin here, the Ladue neighborhood is the where you wanna start looking).

Finally, if environment isn't a big deal but safety is, Hampton Gardens (on orientation web page) is nice though a bit quiet for my tastes. It is also a very short drive to campus.

Adi, I like you already (Kegger, fo' sure)--

Hey Adi,
I found my apt. after looking around online (I was checking it out before I found out since I interviewed really late - June 4th) at www.apartmentguide.com, www.apartment.net, and finally the classified section of www.riverfronttimes.com. Another place you might want to check out (if you haven't already) is http://medschool.slu.edu/orientation/housing
The place I found sounds awesome - only problem is I didn't get a chance to go check it out. It wasn't worth it money wise (taking off from work plus flying out there/hotel). I figure if I don't like it, I only have to live there a year. The other thing is it isn't a big apt complex so it doesn't have all the amenities, but I figure the undergrad campus and watertower inn (a block from SLU SOM) all have workout places.
The financial aid was pretty quick - all loans and I had to petition to increase my loans since my EFC was ridiculous. And the counselors were really helpful about all the paperwork and any questions I had.
Another reason why I like SLU - they have racquetball courts. My undergrad/grad didn't - they divided a large gym with pullout walls to give a two wall version of racquetball - not the real thing.

hi again, am I the only girl posting on here?
Anyways, I just got back from st louis and found a nice small apartment for $385 in St Louis Hills. I hope its not too far from school, I measured about 6 miles, but as I was searching in some other areas closer to school, the area just did not seem safe for me to live there alone....
I agree about only having a 1 year lease so we can move.
I am also waitlisted at my state school (which would be tons cheaper), but at this point, I am not holding my breath.
regarding neighborhoods, Dogtown was ok, The Hill looked not so great, the area just east of the botanical gardens was nice,however the apartments I saw there were not in good condition, but they were big and cheap (390$).
The areas really were variable. and I also thought Soulard looked a bit....varied in good/bad parts. I also looked in the CWE and couldnt find anything available that fit the budget price wise.
also about housing, DO NOT go to this place where you pay some money and they give you a print out about available housing. I did it and thepeople were so UNHELPFUL. they didnt know anything about where stuff was located and couldnt even find the streets on a map.
see you all soon
:cool:

Hey all...I know that I don't deserve to post on this thread yet, because I am one of the still waitlisted. :(

I am sincerely happy for all of you...and perhaps there is still hope for me yet. Not that they'd tell you anything (maybe they did), but do u know anything about how long that waitlist was, or how many people have gotten pulled off?? That's ok if you don't.

As for housing, I'm looking into the Shaw and Tower Grove East neighborhoods (I know, that they don't look that great, but I have to give it to them, there is a lot of neighborhood pride (according to their websites), and from what I hear, there're a lot of young professionals and families that live there. Besides, I don't have much of a choice. I won't be driving and will rely on the South Grand bus by myself.

Here's another good site:
www.mstl.org

It's a whole grassroots network with the aim of bringing grad students and young professionals back to st. louis to revitalize it; they have a link to updated apartment listings, and even a contact address for help/support for those who are moving there for the first time.

I know, I know, it's counting my eggs before they're hatched (which I hate doing). But I couldn't help it.

Hopefully one day Amma won't be the only girl posting on this thread. Take care everyone...I'll let you know if I can join you.