who is going to temple?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dentaldream said:
ahhh....salesmanship at its finest. There's a sucker born every minute! :D :D

At a ridicously low price for the Roxbourough region, the guy knew he could unload that place in a second if he ever advertised it, so he didnt have to pull any "salesmanship", but Good one Dream :rolleyes:

Anyways, Henry Ave. is more like a friggin highway...its like 3 lanes, so I cant see it being any different in the morning.....but I can see how Alleghany might be congested, tacking on about 4-5 more mins....anyways a 9 minute drive in the worst traffic should not be a big deal and if it is....oh well, I have my own condo and I only paid 50 Gs for it, so I aint gonna complain...

Members don't see this ad.

avingupta said:
At a ridicously low price for the Roxbourough region, the guy knew he could unload that place in a second if he ever advertised it, so he didnt have to pull any "salesmanship", but Good one Dream :rolleyes:

Anyways, Henry Ave. is more like a friggin highway...its like 3 lanes, so I cant see it being any different in the morning.....but I can see how Alleghany might be congested, tacking on about 4-5 more mins....anyways a 9 minute drive in the worst traffic should not be a big deal and if it is....oh well, I have my own condo and I only paid 50 Gs for it, so I aint gonna complain...
I too am now a condo owner, I think it's def. the way to go with these int rates. Plus, I like to tell chicks that I own it(I'm super insecure about myself).:)

Henry is 2 lane, its only congested in the middle stretch, from Philadelphia University till about PCom campus. Once u pass PCOM, its smooth sailing. And normally, people dont take Allegheny in the early morning during rush hour. There are numerous side streets that you will soon learn to explore.

Anyway, the drive isnt a big deal once u get used to it. Its Philly drivers you should watch out for... they drive like shxt.

Members don't see this ad :)
avingupta:

Hmmmm...you must be living in a closer part of Roxborough than I am thinking of. (or going to live in that is). Are you living near summit park?

Just to let you know, you might want to be careful at the henry ave and allegheny intersection. Cusp has told me that there have been quite a few accidents over there. I think there are some one way streets you can take to get to the school as well.

And just to let you know, you'll actually be parking by the med school, and not by the dental school (unless you don't buy a parking permit). But I think the med school is a bit closer coming from Roxborough.

xc1999 said:
avingupta:

Hmmmm...you must be living in a closer part of Roxborough than I am thinking of. (or going to live in that is). Are you living near summit park?

Just to let you know, you might want to be careful at the henry ave and allegheny intersection. Cusp has told me that there have been quite a few accidents over there. I think there are some one way streets you can take to get to the school as well.

And just to let you know, you'll actually be parking by the med school, and not by the dental school (unless you don't buy a parking permit). But I think the med school is a bit closer coming from Roxborough.

Yah Im closer than Summit......Im at Henry and Dupont and the address is 6100 Henry Ave. I believe Summit's address is 8500 Henry Ave, so yah its closer...my window faces out to Henry Ave and Fairmount Park...great view! doing the speed limit with no traffic, but catching all the reds took me 9 mins....I knew Alleghany would be a problem, so hopefully in a couple of days there, Ill know some shortcuts.....

For any Temple people searching, look for places in Dupont Towers.....by far the cheapest place Ive seen for condos in Roxbourough...and by the $40,000 you save on tuition by gaining residency, its a steal.....they are listed at $59,900 but get snatched up as soon as they get on the market, so try and get on the ball.

Your really lovin this 9 min thing arent u? Wait till class starts, then we'll see how many times you get to school in 9 ;)

LetMeIn said:
Your really lovin this 9 min thing arent u? Wait till class starts, then we'll see how many times you get to school in 9 ;)

HAHAHA.......the 9 mins is crucial for me, because I am not a morning person and getting to school at the last possible minute is important for me! :cool:

By the way, can you guys tell me how is the first year? I remember reading that first semester is a breeze and second is a bit tough.....what do we do first year? And also, is gettin an mp3 player crucial?

I dont like listening to music when i work in the preclinic because i cant hear the whine of my drill... it helps me do my work better. Lots of people have bought IPODS... so if your into the music while you work, get one!!

First semester is relatively light, Breeze? I wouldnt call it that. You will take Dental Materials, Histology, Biochem, Restorative I Lec, Resto I Lab, Preventive Dent. Biochem is the most work of the bunch. Lab will go smooth, as long as u put in the time to finish projects and get your handskills in gear so you do well on practicals. You will still have somewhat of a social life.

Second semester is harder because you got Gross anatomy, Neuroanatomy, Resto II Lec, RII Lab, Perio, Dental Materials II. You will spend a lot more time at school, no more half days. Amount of material increases, more projects in lab, and generally harder topics covered. Social life takes a hit.

Summer right now is schweet. Just Physiology and Resto II-Fixed Prostho (Runs through June). Our summer break begins July 1st, till Aug 25th.

Yah music is important for me......Im travelling this summer, so I just bought myself a Dell DJ Jukebox 15 GB and its nice to know its gonna come in handy in preclinical......on the site its going for $199, but I bargained them on the phone down to $172.....pretty rare for a big label being willing to bargain....

Thats like $120 less than the Ipod equivalent...fuk Apple :D

avingupta said:
Thats like $120 less than the Ipod equivalent...fuk Apple :D
The mini-ipod is great for joggers and gym-addicts. It's worth every penny.

avingupta:

Music is good in Preclinic, depending on the person. Thing is though, if you have it too loud, you may not hear some of the announcements made by the professor or the preclinic lab manager (his name is Harold). I like to listen to music sometimes because i can get distracted with people around me. But yeah....it's pretty common to see ppl with their mp3 players and even their laptops listening to music.

Mo007 said:
The mini-ipod is great for joggers and gym-addicts. It's worth every penny.

I have to agree on this. A major consumer research firm found that the vast majority of people have less than 1000 music files and that even if they have more than 1000, they really don't need more than that number when they're on the go. The 4 GB, that the iPod mini has fits around that number of music files.

The only reason I might pick a regular iPod is because it can act as a firewire hard drive to backup data for my laptop.

sxr71 said:
I have to agree on this. A major consumer research firm found that the vast majority of people have less than 1000 music files and that even if they have more than 1000, they really don't need more than that number when they're on the go. The 4 GB, that the iPod mini has fits around that number of music files.

The only reason I might pick a regular iPod is because it can act as a firewire hard drive to backup data for my laptop.

no your totally right.....i wont be needing all that space....15 GB is a lot, and i might fit 1 GB with music...... but its nice to know I can also store as much data on that as possible and that the Dell also works as a portable hard drive....but if Dell had a lower size, i would have bought that but 15 GB is the lowest they had...i just couldnt see myself spending so much money for an Ipod when the Dell guy was offering me $172 for a 15 GB....reviews on the Dell have been impressive. If the Ipod was the same price, I would have bought the Ipod no problem....but with the $120 i saved, ill put that towards a sweet digital camera :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Dell doesn't even come close to the Apple design. ;)

Mo007 said:
Dell doesn't even come close to the Apple design. ;)

If you have $120 to pay for design, then all power to ya!

LetMeIn said:
I usually get to school in 10-15 minutes and I'm by the golf course and Philadelphia University...and I this is WITH turbo :D

avingupta said:
If you have $120 to pay for design, then all power to ya!
Dell has a technology you can rely on, I agree. It's like having a sedan you can rely on, but a coupe is always worth the extra $$$ (if you can afford it). :D

Anyone else going to Temple?

I'll be seeing all yall in a few months as well. My wife and I just got ourselves a place in Roxborough. Quick question for anyone in the know about classes during our summer months. I know the curriculum has us scheduled for summer classes next year, but a current D1 student mentioned that they just petitioned it and will have the two months off, so he is headed back west for the summer. Does anyone know the deal with this, and what happens with the courses that they were supposed to be enrolled in. Did I just get some misinfo or is this true? I'm all about my summer breaks.

millertyme13 said:
I'll be seeing all yall in a few months as well. My wife and I just got ourselves a place in Roxborough. Quick question for anyone in the know about classes during our summer months. I know the curriculum has us scheduled for summer classes next year, but a current D1 student mentioned that they just petitioned it and will have the two months off, so he is headed back west for the summer. Does anyone know the deal with this, and what happens with the courses that they were supposed to be enrolled in. Did I just get some misinfo or is this true? I'm all about my summer breaks.

Im all about the summer breaks as well, but dont we get a two month break already during the 1st year during JUly and August? And congrats on your place in Roxborough....isnt it such a nice area? Where exactly are u living and did you find the place through Debi?

Yeah, I'm aware of the July to August break, But our schedule does have a 5.0 credit Physiology summer course doesn't it? Does that go from April to June? I'll have to ask him what summer classes he was talking about. But he did say that their class got together and petitioned for it off. We ended up getting an apartment instead of a house or condo for now, so no, we didn't talk to Debi, but thanks for the help. I wanted to go out there before I purchased property, but this summer will be too busy and hard on the wallet to make it out there again, so we put our faith in some friends to help us find our apartment.

so are you going to try and get instate residency?

Yeah, we'll try with the other ways(licence, register car, vote etc.), and possibly purchase a place after our lease is up.

Dr. Bad Vibes

I don't know about the petitioning thing, but currently the summer after your first year, you take physiology AND you continue Restorative dentistry II that was started in spring semester. Yep....Restorative II is a six month course. Originally they had RDII split into a spring and summer session course, but for some reason they decided to put it all together. It's really not as bad as it seems. The summer session is a lot more relaxed than spring semester, even though we have physio 5 days a week.

I did hear from a D2 student that when he took physio they WERE thinking of extending physio for pretty much the whole summer. Our summer "break" would then only be like 2 weeks or something. I'm not sure why....but for some reason they never went through with that idea. And thank goodness it didn't. This is like our only summer break before we have to go all summer long in later years.

Hope this clarifies what you heard!

so as it stands right now.......what exactly is the summer break after 1st year? July and August?

Dr.BadVibes said:
so as it stands right now.......what exactly is the summer break after 1st year? July and August?

enjoy it b/c it's gonna be the last summer break the rest of your lives..... :eek:

Yep, summer break after august is July and most of august.

and like cusp said....enjoy it :) Heck, I can't even wait to get out....I don't even know how I'm gonna get through the summers in the next three years :eek:

Ill be making use of that summer break FOR SURE!!!!! 2 months is gonna be sweet.....Im already making plans......I was thinking of doing a huge backpacking trip around China.....Ive always wanted to experience the Orient...or possibly Australia or Argentina......whatever I decide at the moment.....point being....that time is definitely not gonna be wasted!

Also, can any of you current Temple guys tell me how long the Christmas break is.....I was hoping of going to Japan for Christmas, but I wanna know how long I would have.......thanks!

Dr.BadVibes said:
Dude....you gotta let me in to all those Summit parties!!

Also, how were you able to coordinate to live with another Temple student...did you already know the person?

Pat is the one coordinates the roommate thing. If you're looking for a roommate, send an email to her. She will add you to the list and circulate it to other people.

Dr. Bad Vibes,

You will have a two week break for xmas unfortunately. It may or may not be enough time for Japan depending on how much time you usually spend there. Xmas break for the coming year is from Dec. 18th to Jan 2nd. School starts on the third for spring semester.

I would post the academic calendar on here, but I don't think we can post pdf files here. Anyhow, you'll get this info when you're at temple.

xc1999 said:
Dr. Bad Vibes,

You will have a two week break for xmas unfortunately. It may or may not be enough time for Japan depending on how much time you usually spend there. Xmas break for the coming year is from Dec. 18th to Jan 2nd. School starts on the third for spring semester.

I would post the academic calendar on here, but I don't think we can post pdf files here. Anyhow, you'll get this info when you're at temple.

Only two weeks......THAT SUCKS! Damn, so I guess it is truly school and nothing else for 4 years :scared:

peehdee said:
hey,

i'm a med student at temple and i live next to the hospital. the dental school is a few min walk from here.
i know the first thing that people say about temple is "is it safe?". my roommate is a med student also and we find it very safe. just like most places in the city, you don't wanna be stupid and walk around at 2 in the morning by yourself. but we feel very safe where we are. it beats living in center city or east falls or manyunk. bc we don't pay to drive, bus, car pool or pay to park at school. which saves us big time. plus we live on campus so we can always attend any school function even after class b/c we walk right to it. and the subway and train stops on campus so its a 10 min ride at like 1.60 to go into the city. its cheap and close to campus. if you wanna know more. let me know.

The admin at the dental school and the real estate agent I worked with did not recommend me to live by the school...although they assured me that during school hours, the place is perfectly safe, living there would be a different issue and should not be considered.

I think everyone should live in East Falls or Manyunk, because its only 10 mins away, accessible by public transport, BEAUTIFUL, full of students, and getting a lift to school would never be a problem for the car-less...

Yes....only two weeks. I think the reason why we go practically the whole four years is that temple spreads out their curriculum, which makes it easier each term. I personally kinda like it this way. Anyhow, at least you'll have ONE summer off! :) Enjoy it while you can :)

anyone going to live anywhere near swarthmore, maybe springfield or media? it's about 30 mins south west of school. i'm looking to carpool if anyone is interested.

There are always units to rent at green tree run, 300 shawmont avenue. its a condo complex, indoor , out door pooll, weight room.. Located in roxborough. about 10 15 minute drive from temple ( cut through to henry, take to allegheny to broad street)
I lived there for 4 years during dental school, quiet, family oriented. Not to far (mile or 2) from the place they recomend on henry. I actually purchased a unit and became a resident of PA, which reduced my tuition by about $8000 a year for the last 3 years.
I may be putting it up for sale either this summer or next so if anyone is interested or curious, let me know, and ill fil u in on the details.

larry

Dr.BadVibes said:
Ill be making use of that summer break FOR SURE!!!!! 2 months is gonna be sweet.....Im already making plans......I was thinking of doing a huge backpacking trip around China.....Ive always wanted to experience the Orient...or possibly Australia or Argentina......whatever I decide at the moment.....point being....that time is definitely not gonna be wasted!

Also, can any of you current Temple guys tell me how long the Christmas break is.....I was hoping of going to Japan for Christmas, but I wanna know how long I would have.......thanks!

I hate to break it to you but I have been hearing from good sources (I'm in student council) that this next year's incoming class will NOT have the 2 month summer break. Our class was technically not suppose to have it but somehow things worked out for us but I hear that is not the case for you guys. I'll find out for sure next week but hold those traveling plans for now
:(

Does anyone know how much the Tuition and Fees are at Temple NOT counting other expenses. i currently live in Philly and thinking about applying there. I am submitting my AADSAS in couple days. Thanks

Tuition for PA residents is about $27,000, non-residents is about $36,000 per year. Fees is about $500. Books are another $400 (if you buy them at the bookstore) and instruments are going to run you another $6000 for first year and $3500 for second year.

Hey guys......just got back from a week in Philadelphia.......had to finalize the purchase of my condo and do some work at Temple.......so here is the scoop:

1. the lady who does financial aid was on vacation last week (IN FRIGGIN HAWAII!!!!!!!) and has just finished the senior financial aid papers...she told me on Monday, she will start the freshmen dental students, meaning reward letters will be mailed out by the end of this week, so be patient. Since Im off to Costa Rica on Thursday for the summer, she did my award letter in front of me and it only took a few minutes.....so its nice to finally have it in writing that Im guaranteed 38,500

2. Checked out the gym in the student-faculty centre......1 block down from the dental building.......open till 8........not bad machines, but could be bigger......but best of all......its free!!!

3. spent the whole day in the dental building with Brian Hahn......he spent the entire day with me just walking around the dental school meeting different people........I met A LOT of dental students, both freshmen and senior. Talking to so many diverse temple students, i had never met ONE person who regretted their choice to come to Temple......when I talked to people, many people hated dental school.....some had beef with the Temple admin.....but thats no suprise. As far as going to Temple.....EVERYONE agreed it was the best choice and appreciate the vast amount of clinical education they get. One guy said that his good friend goes to Penn and Temple students do about 3X the amount of work then Penn students.......pretty impressive.

4. Regarding health forms.......I already had all of my immunizations done during my life, but never had Titers.......titers can be taken at Temple at a cost of approx $15 per disease. Also, the Tb test is included in your tuition, so you can get it for free at Temple......

5. Also handed in my application to get instate residency......i gave them the deed to my house, i switched to a Pennsylvania drivers license, opened a Penn bank account, and made a library card.......i was told that applications take about one month to be reviewed......i talked to one guy at Temple who got instate last year, and he said that all he did was he bought property, handed the application two days before the deadline and in 3 weeks he got it no problem. The deadline for applications is September 1

6. The Temple DMD/MPH program has more than been formalized, but it looks like so far I am the only one in the program, unless someone else shows some interest ;) Cmon......its a free masters degree....how can you complain about that

So, I guess thats all I did all week......well all I can remember right now......word in preclinical is that the freshmen are having a huge pool party on Tuesday.....tell us how it went!!!!!

I cant believe that Philly has stooped down so low as to spend all of its "sports energy" on cheering a horse.......how sad! Anyways, Im glad that Smarty Jones lost!!!!!! HAHAHHAH! I had constantly reminded the Temple admin that both Philly and Toronto are loser cities but then kindly reminded them when Toronto beat Philly to win back to back world Series 10 years ago! :D

Hey Dr. BadVibes,

Now that you've told us that you visited temple, recently, I think I remember seeing you walking around with Brian at the dental school....:)

xc1999 said:
Hey Dr. BadVibes,

Now that you've told us that you visited temple, recently, I think I remember seeing you walking around with Brian at the dental school....:)

hey xc.....yah that was probably me...i was the indian guy wearing the sandals and red jacket.....i probably wont remember if I met you, cause I met so many students that day.....are u going to the pool party?

You actually didn't meet me. I was kinda walking around, and I remember seeing Brian with an Indian guy, and it looked like he was giving you a tour.

I"m actually not going to the pool party today. I actually want to keep going with my gold crown project :) And we have two quizzes this week that I need to study for as well. How'd you know about the pool party? I guess you heard it from ppl in my class?

Hey temple students,
Any of you sit at the C-10 lab bench?
Just curious if my x-ray is still wedged up in the light from 10 years ago. I know for awhile they were leaving it there for good luck.

larry

Dr.BadVibes said:
hey xc.....yah that was probably me...i was the indian guy wearing the sandals and red jacket.....i probably wont remember if I met you, cause I met so many students that day.....are u going to the pool party?

Red jacket??? YEAH!! GO FLAMES GO (in 2005)!!!!!!!

Bickle said:
Red jacket??? YEAH!! GO FLAMES GO (in 2005)!!!!!!!

Its funny you say this.......Ive had that jacket since the start of the hockey season and it was perfect, until last week. i went camping and made a hole in it, and then 2 days ago, my girlfriend's roommate's cat pissed all over it. So the demise of my jacket was a sign for the fall of the Flames? By the way, the red jacket is now on its way to the dump, while I just bought a brand new jacket, and coincidentally, its Leaf blue!! :D

larryphrank said:
Hey temple students,
Any of you sit at the C-10 lab bench?
Just curious if my x-ray is still wedged up in the light from 10 years ago. I know for awhile they were leaving it there for good luck.

larry

If I can remember, I'll try and take a look today.

Anyone else going to Temple?

Hey Guys.....Since Im out of the country until orientation, can someone keep me in the loop of what Temple is sending out....I dont know if there are still incoming Temple student still lurking on SDN though....

Dr.BadVibes said:
Hey Guys.....Since Im out of the country until orientation, can someone keep me in the loop of what Temple is sending out....I dont know if there are still incoming Temple student still lurking on SDN though....

You didnt hear?? Temple closed its dental school down. All the incoming students have now been directed to Puerto Rico. Have fun learning spanish.

Bickle said:
You didnt hear?? Temple closed its dental school down. All the incoming students have now been directed to Puerto Rico. Have fun learning spanish.

Are you serious!!! Damn...oh well, going to dental school on a beach for 4 years is nothing to complain about.....and since dentistry is a science, most of the terminology will be similar in spanish and english....