who is right?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kimchee

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if I can receive any insight from anyone. I was just told by my undergrad pre-med advisor that the admission committees generally view negatively on number of MCAT taken. However, I was told by a Dean of medical school that it plays little factor for the admission. It seems that I am getting conflicting advice from two individuals. I am not who to believe. The prep-med advisor indicated that my chance of taken the MCAT >3 will most likely keeping from getting an interview from most, if not all, med schools. This sounds alittle harsh, but she indicated that she was being honest and truthful of my outcome of the application.

It seems that undergrad GPA 3.5 and Post bacc GPA 3.67 (overall AMCAS 3.4) at the well respected IVY school does not matter in her view and not to mention numerous research activities at various places, such as NIH.
(also, academic tutor, clinical experiences, etc.)

I would appreciate much if anyone can provide any insight into this matter.
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Who do you think knows more, the Dean of a medical school or an advisor?

Hint: Of the two people, the opinion of only one of them matters.

>3 times is not very good. I'd say it will reflect badly upon you. Whether it prevents you from getting any interviews remains to be seen. I doubt you will get into a top 10 school or anything having taken the mcat more than 3 times. But I'd say medical school is certainly possible. You will just have to demonstrate your uniqueness in your essays and any interviews you receive. Apply to a lot of schools. Your mcats are probably going to be your weakest link which will make it difficult to get interviews. All is not lost...but I'd say the road ahead is difficult with >3 mcats. Perhaps if you showed marked improvement in scores it wouldn't be so bad.(ie went from 28 to 35 and now just sitting on a 35 after the 4th time)

I don't know which dean you spoke with. But I'd say definitely apply to that school. Most schools however, would probably look down at 4 or 5 mcat sittings. Whether you don't get any interviews at all will heavily depend on the rest of your application. How unique you can paint yourself to be.

Members don't see this ad :)
It probably depends on the medical school. Some have policies in which they only look at your most recent MCAT scores, others average them all together, and some only will take the highest score into consideration. I would talk with the deans of the medical schools to see what they think.

Does it matter? You can't undo the fact that you took the MCAT more than three times now, can you? Apply and see what happens.

Good luck.

Originally posted by kimchee
It seems that undergrad GPA 3.5 and Post bacc GPA 3.67 (overall AMCAS 3.4) at the well respected IVY school does not matter in her view and not to mention numerous research activities at various places, such as NIH.
(also, academic tutor, clinical experiences, etc.)

Not sure how your overall GPA is lower than your undergrad and Post bacc GPAs. Anyway, I agree a dean as more credence than an advisor. However, taking the MCATs that many times puts up red flags in an application that adcoms look at. I think three wouldn't really be a factor, but when we are talking about 4 or 5, then yes, it probably would. Unless you took the test several times before your post bac program, then taking it again (a fourth time) would be advisable and you would probably do better.