Who is Starting at AUC St. Maarten MAY 2015?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cgarmo91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just got in to AUC for May 2015, who else is going?

Members don't see this ad.

Just reading that sentence made me cringe :/

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why would it make you cringe, I know plenty of successful physicians who are chief of staff that have graduated from AUC...?

I'm not sure where you can find the AUC May 2015 matriculants, but if you want to talk to the AUC May 2015 graduates you can find them in here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/soap-2015.1125858/

WOW... that first page alone is sad and f'in depressing. Can't say that the data from these schools is not available though so it's kinda hard to feel pity for them. At least I can look back at those types of threads everytime I question myself for going to med school (and I mean a real med school and not some for profit cash grab propped up on some island within the last decade or so).

Last edited:
Ah, the classic caribbean hate circle jerk. Mean comments aren't going to make OP decide not to matriculate. Let him try and connect with his future classmates and keep your thoughts to yourself if they aren't nice or constructive... I feel like a lot of the jerks on this forum have insecurities about their own class rank/future and want to take it out on someone they perceive to be inferior. Good luck to you OP.. Caribbean seems like a tough place.

Ah, the classic caribbean hate circle jerk. Mean comments aren't going to make OP decide not to matriculate. Let him try and connect with his future classmates and keep your thoughts to yourself if they aren't nice or constructive... I feel like a lot of the jerks on this forum have insecurities about their own class rank/future and want to take it out on someone they perceive to be inferior. Good luck to you OP.. Caribbean seems like a tough place.

The truly mean thing to do would be to congratulate people on their wise decision to attend a Caribbean school, thereby encouraging others to follow in their footsteps on a path that more likely than not will lead to six figures of debt and no chance of becoming a practicing physician.

Reactions: 8 users
The truly mean thing to do would be to congratulate people on their wise decision to attend a Caribbean school, thereby encouraging others to follow in their footsteps on a path that more likely than not will lead to six figures of debt and no chance of becoming a practicing physician.
You're right, the better course of action is to laugh haughtily at them, when the core of our profession is supposed to be compassion and care.

Reactions: 3 users
You're right, the better course of action is to laugh haughtily at them, when the core of our profession is supposed to be compassion and care.

Doctor is derived from the phrase "to teach." That is exactly what we are doing here. "Compassion" and "care" are ineffective if they also enable poor decisions.

Look, this is a forum to find information about applying to/attending medical school, among other things. If you don't want your teensy-weensy little feewings hurt, go somewhere else.

If someone on here wants to roll the dice and gamble heavily with their future, that's their decision. But that won't stop some of us from trying to help them avoid what could be the worst decision of their life. If you or any other Caribbean advocates think I'm mean, who the hell cares? If you take my advice of "avoiding the Caribbean at all cost", 10 years from now you're not going to be sitting around thinking "god, that meanie GWDS is such a poopy-face", you're going to be thinking, "god, my life is so much better because I literally did anything other than attend a Caribbean moneypit."

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

Just got in to AUC for May 2015, who else is going?

Be sure to visit orient beach during your time on the island. :p

And beware of the mosquitoes, my wife got some of the most wicked bites ever during our trips there.

I did not ask for your opinions on the Caribbean as I have made the decision on my own to attend. This thread was to see who is also attending in AUC in May 2015.

Reactions: 1 user
I did not ask for your opinions on the Caribbean as I have made the decision on my own to attend. This thread was to see who is also attending in AUC in May 2015.

You would probably find more AUC matriculants (and more unfortunately self-affirming opinions) at valuemd.com.

Doctor is derived from the phrase "to teach." That is exactly what we are doing here. "Compassion" and "care" are ineffective if they also enable poor decisions.

Look, this is a forum to find information about applying to/attending medical school, among other things. If you don't want your teensy-weensy little feewings hurt, go somewhere else.

If someone on here wants to roll the dice and gamble heavily with their future, that's their decision. But that won't stop some of us from trying to help them avoid what could be the worst decision of their life. If you or any other Caribbean advocates think I'm mean, who the hell cares? If you take my advice of "avoiding the Caribbean at all cost", 10 years from now you're not going to be sitting around thinking "god, that meanie GWDS is such a poopy-face", you're going to be thinking, "god, my life is so much better because I literally did anything other than attend a Caribbean moneypit."

Hey guys its Dr. Cox...

but yeah, you do have a good point.Though, I think most people who have considered Caribbean have seen posts advising against the decision.

Hey guys its Dr. Cox...

but yeah, you do have a good point.Though, I think most people who have considered Caribbean have seen posts advising against the decision.

I have several patients with a history of melanoma who still go tanning. That doesn't stop me from counseling them on sun protection and self-examination at every visit.

I have several patients with a history of melanoma who still go tanning. That doesn't stop me from counseling them on sun protection and self-examination at every visit.

But it does stop you from derision and hostility, I hope. I am far from a caribbean backer. Im much closer to an avoid at all costs guy. But you, you advocate hostility? Thats fine. But its also my right to point at you and say "be less like this guy." Bad choices merit education and corrective maneuvers. But thats not whats going on here, its just a self comgratulatory circle jerk. And screw that and anybody who participates in it.

Congrats and best of luck cgarmo! This year match rate for intl med school was 53%. I believe you will be apart of that! stay focused and always remind yourself why your doing what your doing. GL

Congrats and best of luck cgarmo! This year match rate for intl med school was 53%. I believe you will be apart of that! stay focused and always remind yourself why your doing what your doing. GL
53% lol. ****ing horrifying.

Reactions: 8 users

That's funny, I haven't seen anyone actually "helping."

I'd be more worried about the match rate 4 years from now which will almost certainly be <45% after all these new MD and DO schools start graduating classes.

Don't forget that the vast majority of those matches are at bottom of the barrel FM and IM programs in non desirable locations.

Congrats and best of luck cgarmo! This year match rate for intl med school was 53%. I believe you will be apart of that

In all likelihood, he will be,especially with the larger domestic med school classes squeezing out the IMG students.

I'd be more worried about the match rate 4 years from now which will almost certainly be <45% after all these new MD and DO schools start graduating classes.

Don't forget that the vast majority of those matches are at bottom of the barrel FM and IM programs in non desirable locations.
This is true.

45% is being generous. With GME funding being trampled on by Congress, I wouldn't be surprised if the IMG match rate goes down to <25% within the next 5-10 years.

I think the decline will be more marginal, and affect fmgs more profoundly than imgs especially at first. But thats really just a guess. The most likely outcome is that it will be significantly worse than it is now, and its not good now either.

If you can get into AUC, you can probably work really hard for a year and get into a DO school. And doing that will likely do wonders for your ability to learn and integrate information, anyway. And if you CANT get yourself properly together in a year, and keep having setbacks, then you arent ready for med school anyway. The ing route is still viable for non us citizens, for those that are older and simply cant afford the time to strengthen their app, and those with fantastically low aspirations with what they want for a medical career.

Which isnt to say that you can only get really poor jobs or residencies from an international school. Just that if your sights are higher, there are easier, better, and more likely ways to achieve those goals.

Best of luck cgarmo!! If I meet an AUC medical student I will be sure to send them to this thread :) :luck:

Or they are prelim-only matches with no viable path to a PGY2, or board certification. At least they matched?

But it does stop you from derision and hostility, I hope. I am far from a caribbean backer. Im much closer to an avoid at all costs guy. But you, you advocate hostility? Thats fine. But its also my right to point at you and say "be less like this guy." Bad choices merit education and corrective maneuvers. But thats not whats going on here, its just a self comgratulatory circle jerk. And screw that and anybody who participates in it.
Lol, welcome to SDN and the internet in general.

I think the decline will be more marginal, and affect fmgs more profoundly than imgs especially at first. But thats really just a guess. The most likely outcome is that it will be significantly worse than it is now, and its not good now either.
I feel like FMG's will probably still be regarded better than IMG's since FMG's don't necessarily exhibit the negative qualities (institutional action, parental pressure, high risk behavior, weak judgment, egotism etc.) program directors associate with IMG's.

Furthermore, a lot of FMG's often first pursue residencies in their native countries before they apply to essentially re-do their residencies here. With those physicians, PD's are essentially hiring attending physicians at resident salaries, so if there was a group that had to get screwed the most by the DO/MD expansion/merger, it would be American-born IMG's.

I feel like FMG's will probably still be regarded better than IMG's since FMG's don't necessarily exhibit the negative qualities (institutional action, parental pressure, high risk behavior, weak judgment, egotism etc.) program directors associate with IMG's.

Furthermore, a lot of FMG's often first pursue residencies in their native countries before they apply to essentially re-do their residencies here. With those physicians, PD's are essentially hiring attending physicians at resident salaries, so if there was a group that had to get screwed the most by the DO/MD expansion/merger, it would be American-born IMG's.

As of now FMGs match at a lower rate than IMGs and a considerably lower rate than USIMGs. I wouldnt know why that would shift considerably since this merger wouldnt change that. Nor their need for visas, which is perhaps a bigger hurdle than anything.

This is quite the bizarre post. My personal favorite part is the "institutional action, parental pressure, high risk behavior, weak judgment, egotism etc." Talk about painting with broad strokes.

If anything that you wrote was even remotely true or based in reality, then you would already see the 1000s of US-IMGs that match every year being pushed out by the 1000s of FMGs that don't match every year. It's not like there is a shortage of FMGs that could potentially fill the spots that US-IMGs match into every year.

This is quite the bizarre post. My personal favorite part is the "institutional action, parental pressure, high risk behavior, weak judgment, egotism etc." Talk about painting with broad strokes.

If anything that you wrote was even remotely true or based in reality, then you would already see the 1000s of US-IMGs that match every year being pushed out by the 1000s of FMGs that don't match every year. It's not like there is a shortage of FMGs that could potentially fill the spots that US-IMGs match into every year.
The reasons for an otherwise qualified candidate to choose to go to the Caribbean does in fact, include all these unfortunate bits of baggage from a PD's perspective (and a few more).

Reactions: 2 users
That bus is coming.

The reasons for an otherwise qualified candidate to choose to go to the Caribbean does in fact, include all these unfortunate bits of baggage from a PD's perspective (and a few more).

While I appreciate that you personally feel this way, it is obviously not how hundreds of other PDs feel who voluntarily take 100os of US-IMGs over FMGs (and even some DOs and US MDs) every year.

I'm a little surprised actually that you feel you can make all those character judgements about a person just because they chose to go to medical school in the Caribbean. Talk about weak judgement and egotism.

While I appreciate that you personally feel this way, it is obviously not how hundreds of other PDs feel who voluntarily take 100os of US-IMGs over FMGs (and even some DOs and US MDs) every year.

I'm a little surprised actually that you feel you can make all those character judgements about a person just because they chose to go to medical school in the Caribbean. Talk about weak judgement and egotism.

The Caribbean choice happens to be a circumstance that brings up exactly the differential listed.
Each individual's reasons for this choice are experienced uniquely, but no one can deny that the pool is essentially different.

As a physician, we are called upon to dispassionately assess the reasons for various outcomes.
My feelings regarding students trying to return after the Caribbean are mostly of sympathy and sorrow.
I am not judging character, rather, evaluating factors as they may influence the program's choice of interviews and the rank order list.

By keeping silent on how these applicants are viewed I would be doing them a disservice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
The Caribbean choice happens to be a circumstance that brings up exactly the differential listed.
Each individual's reasons for this choice are experienced uniquely, but no one can deny that the pool is essentially different.

As a physician, we are called upon to dispassionately assess the reasons for various outcomes.
My feelings regarding students trying to return after the Caribbean are mostly of sympathy and sorrow.
I am not judging character, rather, evaluating factors as they may influence the program's choice of interviews and the rank order list.

By keeping silent on how these applicants are viewed I would be doing them a disservice.

And again, hundreds of PDs choose >2000 US-IMGs over FMGs (and some DOs and US MDs) every year.

So while I'm sure you are honestly expressing how you believe programs view US-IMGs, this is not how hundreds of other programs view them.

It is a disservice to present opinion and speculation as fact.

And again, hundreds of PDs choose >2000 US-IMGs over FMGs (and some DOs and US MDs) every year.

So while I'm sure you are honestly expressing how you believe programs view US-IMGs, this is not how hundreds of other programs view them.

It is a disservice to present opinion and speculation as fact.
Some PD's have programs that do not fill in the match. They must consider every alternative, including Caribbean grads.
My observations are based on both experience and data. I don't wish these outcomes on anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some PD's have programs that do not fill in the match. They must consider every alternative, including Caribbean grads.
My observations are based on both experience and data. I don't wish these outcomes on anyone.

I'm sorry, but this is a cop-out. I'm not trying to turn this into a discussion about the merits of a caribbean medical education.

What was said above was that PD's prefer FMGs over US-IMGs because of a list of horrible qualities shared by all caribbean grads. As both I and BrooklynBulls have pointed out, the DATA shows that this is just patently false. Programs could absolutely fill only using FMGs if that is what they desired to do.

Of course the majority of US-IMGs only get residency positions because the programs need them to fill, and they are viewed as second-class applicants. But this is also the reality for DOs in the NRMP. This line of reasoning has no relevance whatsoever to what I was taking issue with above.

I'm sorry, but this is a cop-out. I'm not trying to turn this into a discussion about the merits of a caribbean medical education.

What was said above was that PD's prefer FMGs over US-IMGs because of a list of horrible qualities shared by all caribbean grads. As both I and BrooklynBulls have pointed out, the DATA shows that this is just patently false. Programs could absolutely fill only using FMGs if that is what they desired to do.

Of course the majority of US-IMGs only get residency positions because the programs need them to fill, and they are viewed as second-class applicants. But this is also the reality for DOs in the NRMP. This line of reasoning has no relevance whatsoever to what I was taking issue with above.

Reality for DO's? Lol nope.

I'd say at least 50% of IMGs are ending up at IMG mills -hospitals that need those residents to get work done, and no US grads would ever consider going to them, unless they had no other choices.

A friend of mine was a solid student from ROSS that matched this year. She only got 9 interviews in FM, with above average board scores. Most US students(MD or DO) would have gotten significantly more interview invites than that - and even with much lower board scores.

Gyn gyn is just telling you how it is, that is all, from their perspective. Take it as you will.

Many FMGs that apply have other attributes that cause them not to match as highly compared to carrib imgs (mostly the US clinical experience etc). There is much more to it than simple numbers.

I didn't say that those qualities are shared by all Caribbean grads (though I admit it was implied). But let's be reasonable. There are two (non-exclusive) reasons why people go to the Caribbean
1) They tried numerous times to gain admissions into a medical school in the U.S. but failed, despite having done everything they could to improve their applications.
2) At least one of the qualities listed above.

Let's put it this way: Our wily old Admissions doesn't have to teach. Therefore, as long as he can get warm, breathing bodies into our seats, he's happy.

We on the Adcom, on the other hand, actually have to teach these people, and then turn them loose on the US patient population.

Thus, we want the best possible candidates.

Therefore, there are PDs who will grab any warm, breathing body they can get their hands on.

Shilling for those diploma mills must get tiring after a while?