Who regrets going to med school and what would you have done instead?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
*bump* Anyone feel like giving their opinion? Any views/advice is appreciated! Thanks,

Elias

Members don't see this ad.

I'd give anything to come back to that fateful day in HS when I decided to pursue this field. I'd go into pharmacy or physical therapy instead. However, years of doing something bind you irrevocably... and maybe its for the best, b/c one thing I know for sure is that if I don't finish something big that I've started I'll regret it for the rest of my life.

I'd give anything to come back to that fateful day in HS when I decided to pursue this field. I'd go into pharmacy or physical therapy instead. However, years of doing something bind you irrevocably... and maybe its for the best, b/c one thing I know for sure is that if I don't finish something big that I've started I'll regret it for the rest of my life.

You made the decision in HS? didn't you have plenty of time in college to reconsider? Or did you get into a combined BS/MD program?

Members don't see this ad :)
At this moment - the Saturday night before test block that also is the Saturday before Halloween so all my non-med school friends are at Halloween parties tonight - I think I should have become a stripper and done drugs for a living. :thumbup: Instead, it is 11pm on a Saturday night and I am drained from studying all day... week... month.... :rolleyes:

Who regrets going to med school and what would you have done instead? Obviously you know now more being a student, resident, intern, etc... Who regrets they went to med school, what stage of medical education are you in, what would you have done instead.

Unfortunately, a meaningful survey of this topic is not possible in this forum. There are at least two major types of bias at work, so the gestalt of this thread should likely best be used for entertainment purposes, only.

That said, no, I don't regret going to med school. I do regret not being able to go until age 27. Had it not worked out I'd probably have done a postdoc, then gotten a cushy, low paying teaching job at a small liberal arts college and gotten high with my students.

I don't regret my decision but I would have probably been:

1. High school or college math or physics teacher/professor
2. Physicist

There are a ton of other things I could see myself doing but those would be my top ones.

At this moment - the Saturday night before test block that also is the Saturday before Halloween so all my non-med school friends are at Halloween parties tonight - I think I should have become a stripper and done drugs for a living. :thumbup: Instead, it is 11pm on a Saturday night and I am drained from studying all day... week... month.... :rolleyes:

Now that I've slept some - I am not as interested in being a stripper and doing drugs for a living. :oops: I imagine I will resume my feelings of not regetting going to med school once this test block week is over (until the next one).

there are a lot of things to hate about medicine. The rising cost of malpractice insurance, the decreasing reimbursements, the change of alignment of power in medicine(docs arent incharge anymore, not even close), Physicians cant even go solo and open up their own office anymore which was the beauty of medicine. Having your own practice. The constant worrying about who is screwing you. (and there are many many people). If you enter group practice your partners will screw you out of money for an extended period of time. I can go on and on and on.....

Physicians cant even go solo and open up their own office anymore which was the beauty of medicine. Having your own practice.

Agreed with most everything you said except for this tidbit... several physicians I've shadowed or talked to almost universally expressed hesitance at the idea of being in business for yourself. Being an employee (read: contracted to a hospital as an emergency physician) instead of running the damn place has its benefits, it seems.

Of course, pros and cons abound, but I'm just throwing in my $.02.

Agreed with most everything you said except for this tidbit... several physicians I've shadowed or talked to almost universally expressed hesitance at the idea of being in business for yourself. Being an employee (read: contracted to a hospital as an emergency physician) instead of running the damn place has its benefits, it seems.

Of course, pros and cons abound, but I'm just throwing in my $.02.

Biggest pro - not having to know anything about business. I imagine it would probably be wise to require pre-meds to take some personal finance / business classes, but I didn't take any and I have no desire to do so now. So... running a business with no idea how to do it? :eek: No thanks; I'll be an employee.

The doc I'm finishing up a rotation with seems to believe Hilary is going to be our next president, and this will result in a mass exodus of physicians who are nearing retirement age. Don't know what point I have with saying that, just thought I'd throw it out there.

I don't think I ever gave a real answer to the OP - if I hadn't gone into medicine, I was going to go into law and be a prosecutor. That's what I wanted to do before I decided instead to be a doc. I imagine after med school, law school would be a breeze. Or maybe it would be ridiculously harder because they might be expected to have a little more independent thought vs. memorize all these 10 million details. Either way, that was my other option, and I remind myself that if I ended up failing out of med school I could probably still do that.

several physicians I've shadowed or talked to almost universally expressed hesitance at the idea of being in business for yourself. Of course, pros and cons abound, but I'm just throwing in my $.02.

thats because it sucks being in business for yourself when you cant dictate the costs.. In any normal business you figure out your overhead and how much everything costs and then you charge a fair price.. not in medicine.. you take what the insurance companies and medicare and medicaid(the worst) give you. regardless of how much the service costs you. You can quickly go out of business this way. And thats why docs dont want to be in business anymore.. they like the employee mentality.. And thats for suckers in my opinion.. i can go work at walmart or any other major corporation if i wanted to be an employee

I was a resident in a surgical subspeciality at a very desirable program. I left midway when i realized that for highly motivated, intelligent, and amicable people, the tangible consequences of medicine never overcome the intangible benefits.
And more importantly, a perfect outcome is the default expectation when you're a practicing MD - the ability to be a hero rarely happens. So aside from the rare ultra-grateful patient, practicing medicine is, for all practical purposes, just downside -- financial and emotional.

So I jumped ship for a healthcare hedge fund - best decision i ever made, financially and emotionally. If you're a reasonably bright, generally hard-working person, then stay in medicine. But if you're hyper-driven and competitive and climbing the various ladders of prestige and success is where you get your kicks (and you're not a total prick), you should really do something better than medicine.

I was a resident in a surgical subspeciality at a very desirable program. I left midway when i realized that for highly motivated, intelligent, and amicable people, the tangible consequences of medicine never overcome the intangible benefits.
And more importantly, a perfect outcome is the default expectation when you're a practicing MD - the ability to be a hero rarely happens. So aside from the rare ultra-grateful patient, practicing medicine is, for all practical purposes, just downside -- financial and emotional.

So I jumped ship for a healthcare hedge fund - best decision i ever made, financially and emotionally. If you're a reasonably bright, generally hard-working person, then stay in medicine. But if you're hyper-driven and competitive and climbing the various ladders of prestige and success is where you get your kicks (and you're not a total prick), you should really do something better than medicine.

Great point.

Members don't see this ad :)
*bump* Anyone feel like giving their opinion? Any views/advice is appreciated! Thanks,

Elias

Well it seems you need to do alot of soul searching in addition to what you already have been doing. No one here can tell you what you need to do, but you have already said this and here is my opinion. I can say from some experience because my sister was a model that the life is very tough. There are so many girls out there and its a cut throat lifestyle, one in which most don't survive (professionally) for very long...especially if you're doing international runway. Not to discourage you or anything because that is not my intention. My point is: if you dislike being "motivated" or competitive, because you're more introverted, modeling may not be the thing for you. This type of job requires you to be even more competitive and extroverted because YOU have to put yourself out there. YOU have to get YOUR face on print or tv. Why do you think these girls are ultra-thin? Because they need to compete in the field. I also have friends who are models and yeah, they get checks in the mail...and its good money. But some of them just hate the lifestyle. You're sometimes forced into situations you don't like and if you're not an "A-lister".... aka one of the top models, you pretty much have no say in the things you're going to do.

But this is besides the point. You mentioned modeling but I have a feeling that any reason you find will likely aid in your decision to leave medicine. If I were in your shoes, I would leave medicine especially because I felt it wasnt for me. Yes, it sucks to quit because your family depends on you because of this great opportunity, but if you're not happy, then whats the point? But, if you do enjoy some aspects of medicine, then stick with it. There are so many routes in medicine you can take that may cater to your more introverted character and artistic tastes. Who knows? Make your own route if there isn't one laid out yet. Good luck with your decision though. YOu're in a tough situation but in the end you will probably know what's best.

well i went to law school for a yr. and a half. and then decided that it wasn't for me...and then joined med school.....loving it...although it's just getting tougher and tougher by the day.....

Hi Polycon,

first of all thank you so much for your reply. I don't know you and you don't know me, so it's hard to give and take advice in such a situation, but even so I think I can learn something from it.

There are so many girls out there and its a cut throat lifestyle, one in which most don't survive (professionally) for very long...especially if you're doing international runway. Not to discourage you or anything because that is not my intention. My point is: if you dislike being "motivated" or competitive, because you're more introverted, modeling may not be the thing for you. This type of job requires you to be even more competitive and extroverted because YOU have to put yourself out there. YOU have to get YOUR face on print or tv.

I agree, the modeling business is definitely hard.

But I do think male modeling has less competition/bitchiness in it compared to female modeling. Plus I've seen male top models who are also a bit introverted, and it doesn't hinder them in their abilities to be a good model I think. And although I'm sensitive, I think I am well-aware and strong enough to handle critique and not take it personal.

You're sometimes forced into situations you don't like and if you're not an "A-lister".... aka one of the top models, you pretty much have no say in the things you're going to do.
Yeah, I know, you have to be very comfortable with your body and things like that... But as a guy I think the list of uncomfortable moments might be a bit shorter + you can refuse anything at any time I think.

But this is besides the point. You mentioned modeling but I have a feeling that any reason you find will likely aid in your decision to leave medicine. If I were in your shoes, I would leave medicine especially because I felt it wasnt for me. Yes, it sucks to quit because your family depends on you because of this great opportunity, but if you're not happy, then whats the point? But, if you do enjoy some aspects of medicine, then stick with it. There are so many routes in medicine you can take that may cater to your more introverted character and artistic tastes. Who knows? Make your own route if there isn't one laid out yet. Good luck with your decision though. YOu're in a tough situation but in the end you will probably know what's best.

Yes, sometimes I do want to leave medicine... But on the other hand I think of all the beautiful opportunities I would leave blank... The problem is I'm kind of 'blocked'... I sometimes imagine myself in the future, being an unhappy doctor, and then - logically - I can't motivate myself anymore to study... I don't know, it's such a dubious feeling... But it's a real problem, because I definitely need to study! It's so important for my grades, etc. everything...

I do think there are still paths I'd like to go in medicine... But when I think of how few they are, I start thinking of the modeling opportunities again and then I just get kind of 'stuck' like not wanting to leave medicine but not wanting to continue either... Maybe I just fear the unknown future so I might not be aware that I might actually really like some branches in medicine when I would just relax a little and allow myself to like them, cos' right now I'm just so tensed up about it... But it's just that my bad gut feeling worries me, and I wake up and go to sleep with it, it's just something that never completely leaves my mind... Okay lol sorry I'll stop whining :p I think I should just discuss it with a real close friend, but it's a difficult thing to do and I am going to have to solve this myself anyway...

Well, thanks again so much for your advice. I really appreciate it when people can see trough the "luxury problem aspect" and see that it's an actual, REAL thing... I'll let you know what I do ;)

PS: I saw we share the same birthday! Funny :) How old are you?

Greets,

Elias

I would have married rich and bought an enormous TV.

I've discovered that I'm generally a more introverted, creative and sensitive person than my fellow medical students, I even have a different sense of humor.

It is easy for me to imagine why you have a hard time making friends. Your poor understanding of others is displayed here. How exactly do you measure how creative and sensitive someone is when you know them only superficially? Don't answer that; it was a rhetorical question because you can't.

But I do think male modeling has less competition/bitchiness in it compared to female modeling. Plus I've seen male top models who are also a bit introverted, and it doesn't hinder them in their abilities to be a good model I think. And although I'm sensitive, I think I am well-aware and strong enough to handle critique and not take it personal.

Yeah, I know, you have to be very comfortable with your body and things like that... But as a guy I think the list of uncomfortable moments might be a bit shorter + you can refuse anything at any time I think.

I find it interesting how you guys are waxing philosophical about modeling. There is only one quality that is important for modeling: being attractive or at least being interesting looking. Wow.

3 months into M1 and med school has blown choad pretty much for the most part. the tests get worse and worse, my motivation is rapidly decreasing, and im pretty much miserable being away from home. i find myself doing really stupid things like playing video games for 5 hours the day before the test.

i probably would have become something to do with art, make no money, and complain about being a bum.

oh yea and ppl like tramd ^ make me hate med school even more

It is easy for me to imagine why you have a hard time making friends. Your poor understanding of others is displayed here. How exactly do you measure how creative and sensitive someone is when you know them only superficially? Don't answer that; it was a rhetorical question because you can't.

I realize that my words might have come off a little bit arrogant. Honestly, I didn't mean to sound like that in any possible way. I didn't want to sound 'better' or anything like that, it was just meant to describe myself a little and give people an idea of what kind of a person I am, nothing more, nothing less... I think I'm rather sensitive because I have more difficulty compared to fellow students to 'keep my distance' from other people's emotions, like be more easily upset about things than them. Again, that might sound like I feel 'better' than them, when in fact it's the opposite. I actually consider it a bad characteristic and a flaw, because every good doctor has to be able to do that (take their distance from people's emotions). You are right when you say I have no objective way of judging my creativity and sensitivity. There is no objective measure, and it's not my intention to objectively 'rank' myself among others, because I don't, I absolutely don't. I came to this board in hope of getting some opinions of people, not to compare myself, and I don't wish to be compared either. It's a real pity if that is the way you interpreted my words.

I find it interesting how you guys are waxing philosophical about modeling. There is only one quality that is important for modeling: being attractive or at least being interesting looking. Wow.

I disagree. Only a part of modeling is about 'being attractive' or 'looking sexy'. Modeling is a lot more about stats (height, weight, age) and being located near a big market. A lot of models are just tall and thin, have angular, chiseled faces but can be very weird looking and often are not considered attractive at all by a lot of people. A good model doesn't only have to look 'interesting', but also has to be able to bring out his/her personality in photoshoots, be very patient and flexible, be able to cope with rejection (most editorial models get rejected for jobs 19 out of 20 times) and have a communicative and professional attitude towards the people they work with (A model who can't lose weight within the appropriate time, will not get a job or be fired. A model who is 2 minutes late won't ever be asked again). You'll never hear me say it's the most difficult profession in the world, but it's certainly more than 'looking good'. I hope this might change your mind a little about modeling, because honestly I don't understand why you reacted the way you did.

oh yea and ppl like tramd ^ make me hate med school even more

Hey hey. I have been there. I have played 5 hours of video games the day before a test. It is stressful; you'll get through it.

I realize that my words might have come off a little bit arrogant. Honestly, I didn't mean to sound like that in any possible way. I didn't want to sound 'better' or anything like that, it was just meant to describe myself a little and give people an idea of what kind of a person I am, nothing more, nothing less...

I didn't think that statement was arrogant.

I think I'm rather sensitive because I have more difficulty compared to fellow students to 'keep my distance' from other people's emotions, like be more easily upset about things than them. Again, that might sound like I feel 'better' than them, when in fact it's the opposite. I actually consider it a bad characteristic and a flaw, because every good doctor has to be able to do that (take their distance from people's emotions). You are right when you say I have no objective way of judging my creativity and sensitivity. There is no objective measure, and it's not my intention to objectively 'rank' myself among others, because I don't, I absolutely don't. I came to this board in hope of getting some opinions of people, not to compare myself, and I don't wish to be compared either. It's a real pity if that is the way you interpreted my words.

Sensitivity has to do with emotions that can be very difficult to interpret externally. Perhaps you were saying that your affect displays your emotions a little more clearly than that of the typical person. I think I may have just misinterpreted what you were saying at first.

I disagree. Only a part of modeling is about 'being attractive' or 'looking sexy'. Modeling is a lot more about stats (height, weight, age) and being located near a big market. A lot of models are just tall and thin, have angular, chiseled faces but can be very weird looking and often are not considered attractive at all by a lot of people. A good model doesn't only have to look 'interesting', but also has to be able to bring out his/her personality in photoshoots, be very patient and flexible, be able to cope with rejection (most editorial models get rejected for jobs 19 out of 20 times) and have a communicative and professional attitude towards the people they work with (A model who can't lose weight within the appropriate time, will not get a job or be fired. A model who is 2 minutes late won't ever be asked again). You'll never hear me say it's the most difficult profession in the world, but it's certainly more than 'looking good'. I hope this might change your mind a little about modeling, because honestly I don't understand why you reacted the way you did.

Geez, TRAMD, I agree with the depressed, sensitive, sexy guy. There is sooo much more to modeling than simply looking the part. The photo shoots, the backstabbing, the general hotness of everyone!! I mean, haven't you ever watched America's Next Top Model???

Uh..yeah...me neither...

I disagree. Only a part of modeling is about 'being attractive' or 'looking sexy'.

A large part.

Modeling is a lot more about stats (height, weight, age) and being located near a big market.

How does this contradict what I said?

A lot of models are just tall and thin, have angular, chiseled faces but can be very weird looking and often are not considered attractive at all by a lot of people. A good model doesn't only have to look 'interesting', but also has to be able to bring out his/her personality in photoshoots,

The general public (the people you want to draw in) looking at the pictures don't care about the model's personality. Are you in fact Tyra Banks?

be very patient and flexible, be able to cope with rejection (most editorial models get rejected for jobs 19 out of 20 times) and have a communicative and professional attitude towards the people they work with (A model who can't lose weight within the appropriate time, will not get a job or be fired. A model who is 2 minutes late won't ever be asked again). You'll never hear me say it's the most difficult profession in the world, but it's certainly more than 'looking good'. I hope this might change your mind a little about modeling, because honestly I don't understand why you reacted the way you did.

These seem like qualities you need to succeed at most things and are far from exclusive to modeling. I don't think there is anything wrong with modeling as a profession but you will not convince me that the way you look is not by far the most important qualification for modeling. I have heard the same sort of stuff said about professional athletes but when it comes down to it it is really about how athletic you are.

Maybe I am just bitter since I found out that I am not good-looking enough to be a model nor funny enough to be a comedian.

However, I am sexy to anyone whom was into the fat Ben Affleck.

If you are sexy enough to be a model and smart enough to be a doctor then you should go with the doctor. Your chances for success are better and you can always model on the side . . .

How does this contradict what I said?
That there's other more important criteria than just being attractive. If you're attractive but too short, you can't be a model. If you're unattractive but with the right stats, you might still have a chance.

The general public (the people you want to draw in) looking at the pictures don't care about the model's personality.
The people who pay you (the photographers and model agents) do care.

These seem like qualities you need to succeed at most things and are far from exclusive to modeling. I don't think there is anything wrong with modeling as a profession but you will not convince me that the way you look is not by far the most important qualification for modeling.

I won't, because that's how I see it too. I only wanted to say that there's more to it than that.

I'm not trying to get philosophical about modeling or evoque a long and unnecessary discussion about this, I just hope people can talk about it in a normal way without wanting to ridicule it, that's all really.

Maybe I am just bitter since I found out that I am not good-looking enough to be a model nor funny enough to be a comedian.

If you are sexy enough to be a model and smart enough to be a doctor then you should go with the doctor. Your chances for success are better and you can always model on the side . . .

Hey TRAMD, I appreciate your reaction. That's really cool that you're so honest.

Maybe I shouldn't have posted my 'story' here, maybe it was a stupid thing to do.

Thanks for your advice, greets,

Elias

Secretary. Get paid to dick around on the internets all day, flirt with the cute sales guy.

I'd keep a blog called "my boss is an ass." anonymously, of course.

would you change your name to Pam Beasly too?

Still not regretting it, although I'm sure when 3rd year rolls around some of those rotations are going to test this, haha.

That said, while it's certainly painful, I actually find a lot of the stuff I learn kinda interesting-and sometimes it's like "wow, all my life I never knew about this."

Of course if I had to do something else it'd probably be related to automobiles in some manner or another. Attempt to make a car that's cheaper and yet better. Then again that'd be about 10000x tougher than medicine really.

Why am I doing medicine? Because becoming a rock star in Chicago was just too difficult :)

I was offered a $100,000 job at Pfizer after college. I turned it down to go to med school.

I used to model back in the day also. Those people at Ford Models sure are snooty. As much as medicine is draining, I have to say I am glad I am not living that life though :)

This thread is...depressing. I worked my butt off in undergrad, took the MCAT twice, dealt with a whole plethora of personal problems and oscillated between medical school and philosophy grad school for years to finally come to the decision to go to med school.

And now so very few of you seem happy :(

Damn :(

This thread is...depressing. I worked my butt off in undergrad, took the MCAT twice, dealt with a whole plethora of personal problems and oscillated between medical school and philosophy grad school for years to finally come to the decision to go to med school.

Hey, no worries. Talk to someone that has a been a doc for 20 years and see what they have to say. Med students and residents have opinions skewed by sacrifice with little reward (yet).

or maybe a younger Steve Young?

steveyoung01.jpg

or maybe a younger Steve Young?

steveyoung01.jpg

HAHA! My favorite quarterback! I went to summer camp with his nephew when I was a kid. He never said I looked like his uncle . . .

My first semester of med school has been the best few months of my life. I'm so glad I didn't go into engineering.

I'm going out more, playing more video games, studying less, and somehow learning more than I did in undergrad.

I'll come back to this thread at the end of the year, and things will have probably changed for the worse, by then. Oh well :|

sucks for you. You too will join the ranks of being miserable

sucks for you. You too will join the ranks of being miserable

Grain of salt on this one. This dude's previous posts are mostly piss and vinegar (and no doubt rightfully so), but as with anything, your mileage in medical happiness may vary, I'm pretty sure.

I just got into a med school. I went into bioengineering as an undergrad wanting to become a Dr, but also having a degree to fall back on. I'm now going into medicine because I spent two summer being an engineer and HATED it, I hated the job, the people, the pay, the expectations and mostly the attitudes. I guess you can say, right now, I'm hoping against hope that this is something I'll end up loving. Though, like some of you have mentioned, this is an opportunity i just can't pass up, I would never be able to handle the what ifs. Let hope its the right choice.

While I am not happy with going to medical school, I am even unhappier thinking about any other career.