Who should accept residency pre-match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sam1999

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Accepting a pre-match is pure personal decision but in which circumstances one should consider one? For Example, old graduate, USMLE scores, visa etc. I just want to know different opinions on that one as for some people it might be too risky to go for match.

Members don't see this ad.

It's a personal decision that I think depends on how confident you feel about matching, weighed against your desire to attend the program offering the prematch. There are no general guidelines regarding who should accept a prematch offer.

If you think you are a very weak applicant, and you're worried about matching, then I would take it, assuming it's in the specialty you are applying for. I would be hesitant to take a prematch in family med if I really wanted psych.

If you would be happy going to the program offering the prematch, then of course take it.

i am a 2005 grad IMG and on my second try for the match. I've been thinking about this issue too in case I get offered a prematch. I have good scores and 8 interviews. does that make me a good candidate though? I know it's a personal choice but i wonder what makes you a competitive app? at what point should you feel confident bout matching?

If I was an IMG on my 2nd try in the Match I would think seriously about taking a prematch if I got an offer. That is assuming it's the specialty you want and you think you can stomach going there. After all, what you are after is that you want to become a practicing physician in a particular specialty...residency is going to be hard and a lot of work wherever, you go...and I hate to say it but it isn't going to be super pleasant wherever you go. Just get a spot so that you can train...of course stay away if the place looks totally awful and the trainees seem totally miserable, but otherwsie....

Eight interviews is not really that many...unless it's something like fp or psych, in which case 8 might be more than enough.

I think taking a prematch is for someone who
a) really likes a certain program and got an offer from them, or
b) feels like they are likely to do better taking the prematch vs. waiting to see if they can match the regular way