Why so many IMG’s at Eisenhower?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nn0401

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
6/10 EM spots for Eisenhower Health filled by IMG’s.
1/10 US MD.
3/10 DO.

(Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this on. Please direct me to a better place if there is one.)

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
6/10 EM spots for Eisenhower Health filled by IMG’s.
1/10 US MD.
3/10 DO.

(Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this on. Please direct me to a better place if there is one.)

Uhhh . . .maybe b/c Americans don't want to be doctors any more. Amongst my high-school aged kids, their friends and social networks (some kids now in early college), say maybe a N=500 total . . . not one of them is interested in becoming a physician (4 years of hard pre-med + 4 years of med school + 3-7 years of training = 10-15 years total of your adult life as a student, you finally start making an adult paycheck at 35 yo).

These kids just don't have the patience for it, and they're too smart, would rather do other things and get there faster.

• Okay...
Maybe it’s a terrible program. Also EM hasn’t been looking good for the past few match cycles as well due to issues with job outlook and where the field is going. Lots of unfilled spots in the past few cycles. They’ve been having to fill with mostly IMGs because US grads are steering clear of EM in general.

• Haha
Uhhh . . .maybe b/c Americans don't want to be doctors any more. Amongst my high-school aged kids, their friends and social networks (some kids now in early college), say maybe a N=500 total . . . not one of them is interested in becoming a physician (4 years of hard pre-med + 4 years of med school + 3-7 years of training = 10-15 years total of your adult life as a student, you finally start making an adult paycheck at 35 yo).

These kids just don't have the patience for it, and they're too smart, would rather do other things and get there faster.
This is just not true. There are just USMD and DO going into more competitive specialties or more competitive programs.

Reactions: 1 users
If you are an immigrant from the middle east, you are already used to the weather.

• Haha
This is just not true. There are just USMD and DO going into more competitive specialties or more competitive programs.

I don't know that it's completely untrue. I mean, we all know there are plenty of American kids applying to medical school (though I hear there's been a decline). I just don't get the vibe that they're all that interested. What's different now too, is that kids have way more access to information, they can better research a career path before they embark on it.

30 years ago, if I had known that I'd study and train for 15 years, only to admit and dispo the same Meth-head night in and night out,

I don't know that it's completely untrue. I mean, we all know there are plenty of American kids applying to medical school (though I hear there's been a decline).
According to the AAMC, there has overall been a steady increase in applicants since the 1980s, which adds up because getting into a medical school just gets more and more competitive every year.

I do agree that premeds need to be doing more research before committing their career to medicine, though. It makes no sense that becoming a physician is continually becoming a worse and worse job and yet the competitiveness of medical school admission (and residency placement on top of that) is only increasing. It's completely backwards because premeds still see medicine as a highly prestigious, well-paying job when in reality both of those qualities are on a steady decline.

I don't know that it's completely untrue. I mean, we all know there are plenty of American kids applying to medical school (though I hear there's been a decline). I just don't get the vibe that they're all that interested. What's different now too, is that kids have way more access to information, they can better research a career path before they embark on it.

30 years ago, if I had known that I'd study and train for 15 years, only to admit and dispo the same Meth-head night in and night out,
You're entitled to your opinion. However, it really has absolutely nothing to do with the OP's question, and there are plenty of other threads on SDN where you can pontificate about the state of medical education.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I do agree that premeds need to be doing more research before committing their career to medicine, though. It makes no sense that becoming a physician is continually becoming a worse and worse job and yet the competitiveness of medical school admission (and residency placement on top of that) is only increasing.

It does seem paradoxical. In the end, it doesn't matter how many we graduate from DO/MD schools, the real bottleneck is residency spots.

You're entitled to your opinion. However, it really has absolutely nothing to do with the OP's question

Insofar as I surmised (right or wrong, is just an opinion) that the dearth of Americans at Eisenhower is maybe a facet of a larger problem, that many American kids aren't choosing medicine as a career profession, I did address the OP's question.

Ok, excuse me if the thread went a little off topic. Of course, that never happens on SDN. [And I'm sorry the Spurs are having the worst season in their history, sorry Wembanyama's a bust.]

• Haha