who should apply early decision?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rocketbooster

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know lots of med students of all kind, lots of med students who got in both ED and RD to schools, and they all tell me different things on who should apply ED.

from half of the ppl, I hear you should apply ED no matter what because it's way easier to get in and it's the route to take if you have lower stats.

from the other half, I hear you should only apply to ED if you have amazing stats, like a 4.0 and whatever MCAT, because only the top candidates get in ED. they say that if get in ED, then you could have gotten in RD anyway so there's no point to apply ED.

who's correct?

btw, I know the risks of applying ED. I'm still waiting on my MCAT to return in another 2 weeks. I was hitting mid-30s on all the AAMCs, but I'm expecting anywhere from 28 to 37 haha. If I get that 28, it'll be because I tanked the verbal. I can almost guarantee I pulled 10s on the sciences since I was getting 12-13 on every AAMC BS and PS. An 8 or so on the verbal will ruin my MCAT score for just about every school BUT my state school. My state school takes the composite of your highest individual subscores of which I already have a 10 on VR from last year. Sooo, I'm almost positive I'll have a 30 no matter what applying to my state school. I know 30 is good enough for ED there...I'd just rather not have the MCAT turn out that way bc I don't like risking it all on one school.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't like risking it all on one school.

This is really true no matter what; I wouldn't recommend anyone to apply EDP, just because if it doesn't work out you're so far behind. If you're good enough to get in EDP, I bet you're good enough to get in during the regular admissions.

I've decided to apply ED to my state school despite the risk. I'm very nontraditional, and I decided it was better to risk losing a year to reapplication than have to move my family in this economy (selling house, finding hubby a new job, etc). Since I'm 100% sure that the only school I want to go to in 2010 is my state school (although I'm open to other schools if I end up having to reapply), I figure it can't hurt to have my name on their desk first thing. If I don't get in ED and I get dumped into the RD pool, still no loss.

Like how I made that all about me? I guess what I mean is that if you get the risks (the delay if you don't get in can cost you a cycle) and don't mind them, then go ahead and do it. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've decided to apply ED to my state school despite the risk. I'm very nontraditional, and I decided it was better to risk losing a year to reapplication than have to move my family in this economy (selling house, finding hubby a new job, etc).

This is exactly what I was going to say (except in third person). ED is really for the non-trads who have one school that logistically makes sense for them to go to, and can't really pick up and go wherever. If you're a traditional applicant who is able to move for your education then you're doing yourself a disservice by putting all your application eggs in the same basket.

Last edited:
who's correct?
I brought this up in a different thread, but I think both explanations are correct. It just depends on what particular school you're talking about. If it's a state school that takes 90% instate and has averages on the lower end, then early applicants there might be on the lower end of that average. If it's a private school, especially a pretty good one, then you want to be way "overqualified" (which is too hard to pinpoint with the different things many schools are looking for, and not worth the risk).

I'd only apply early if you have lower numbers and you know for a fact the school relaxes their "standards" with ED.

I've decided to apply ED to my state school despite the risk. I'm very nontraditional, and I decided it was better to risk losing a year to reapplication than have to move my family in this economy (selling house, finding hubby a new job, etc). Since I'm 100% sure that the only school I want to go to in 2010 is my state school (although I'm open to other schools if I end up having to reapply), I figure it can't hurt to have my name on their desk first thing. If I don't get in ED and I get dumped into the RD pool, still no loss.

Like how I made that all about me? I guess what I mean is that if you get the risks (the delay if you don't get in can cost you a cycle) and don't mind them, then go ahead and do it. Good luck!

This is exactly what I was going to say (except in third person). ED is really for the non-trads who have one school that logistically makes sense for them to go to, and can't really pick up and go wherever. If you're a traditional applicant who is able to move for your education then you're doing yourself a disservice by putting all your application eggs in the same basket.

Yeah, these are the situations I hadn't considered, but would make sense.

the thing is I know that you have no chance of getting interviews unless you have a 30+ on your MCAT. if my MCAT turns out high 20s, then there's no reason not to risk everything applying ED because you aren't going to get any other interviews anyway. you have no reason to apply to more than your state school if you don't have 30+. sure there are exceptions, like if you're URM, but don't count on that.

like i said, I have that 10 on VR from last year and I'm almost certain I got at least 10s on the sciences. that'll be a composite of 30 with 10, 10, 10, which is definitely good enough for my state school with an averate MCAT of 29.

PLUS, i'm pretty sure many of the lower GPAs/MCATs are accepted to my state school through ED.

so, there's really nothing to lose to apply ED if my MCAT turns out high 20s, ehh.

I can still apply to DO schools as I am applying ED to my MD state school anyway since they are different applications. I will start med school in a year from now no matter what, and I'll resort to Carribean if I have to bc I know that route will still get you to at least general internal medicine.

I have never asked, but has anyone else asked their a reliable source this?

Can you apply EDP for an MD, and still apply to DO's schools simuntaneously? I know with MD schools, you cannot apply to another MD school, but its seems like DO would be a totally different ball game....