Who should I get LORs from?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MercyKillerDoc

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have good relationships with almost all my teachers and have also done well in their classes. How can I decide which prof I should get LORs from?

Members don't see this ad.

MercyKillerDoc said:
I have good relationships with almost all my teachers and have also done well in their classes. How can I decide which prof I should get LORs from?

Maybe pick ones that can comment on your different abilities. For example, your PI can comment on research/lab skills. Others can comment on academic abilities, leadership skills, people skills, professionalism, etc.

MercyKillerDoc said:

Well, most schools like two science prof letter, and one non-science, plus one or two additional letters from doctors that you've shadowed, employers, research advisors, etc.

For the professor letters, ask ones that you've had multiple times and that you know fairly well. It is also good for your letters to be from senior members of the faculty, not TA's or associate professors (but those are okay in a pinch too for most schools).

You might also want to balance the letters. For example, one from a bio professor and another from a physics professor, as well as the non-science one.

Just some thoughts.