Who takes the first peek at my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ktsue

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who decides when all the ERAS apps come in which ones are tossed out first? Is it some program secretary, or is it the director, a group of residents? I'm concerned because I'm an osteopathic 4th year applying for allopathic residencies who has not taken the USMLE. A lot of the allopathic programs state on thier websites that they want the USMLE, never say anything about COMLEX, and when I email them they give a bogus response like "we require both".
As a side question: is it too late for a 4th year to take the USMLE step I?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Who decides when all the ERAS apps come in which ones are tossed out first? Is it some program secretary, or is it the director, a group of residents? I'm concerned because I'm an osteopathic 4th year applying for allopathic residencies who has not taken the USMLE. A lot of the allopathic programs state on thier websites that they want the USMLE, never say anything about COMLEX, and when I email them they give a bogus response like "we require both".
As a side question: is it too late for a 4th year to take the USMLE step I?
Thanks.

I doubt there is a single answer to your question. In most programs, it's probably a Program Director, Assoc Prog Director, or a Program Administrator.

Some allopathic programs require DO's to take the USMLE's. If you are interested in those programs, you need to take the USMLE's. Some programs allow COMLEX alone. Here's the rub -- if you did well on the COMLEX, and now go back and take the USMLE and don't do well, it will hurt you across the board. So, if you decide to take the USMLE, you clearly should study and do the best that you can.

If this isn't clear, feel free to PM me or post more details.

to answer the side question: if you're willing to pay for it, i'm sure the NBME will have no objection to your taking the USMLE step I.

I doubt there is a single answer to your question. In most programs, it's probably a Program Director, Assoc Prog Director, or a Program Administrator.

Doesn't that pretty much cover anyone with access to the app? If it's not a PD, Assistant PD or "administrator", who else could it be?

In all seriousness, though, it can depend on your field and the program. If you are applying to a competitive field, there are many instances where NO ONE will see your app if it does not meet their cutoffs. Yep, if they receive 500 apps for 10 spots, you will be filtered out by the settings they list for ERAS. Step 1>220 or whatever. Unless they feel the need to dip below that, or you have some inside track, no one will see it.