Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Who to ask for LOR?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by malisa, Mar 5, 2007.

1. malisa

malisa OB/Gyn

Attending Physician
    I need one more science LOR. I am thinking that I can potentially ask the professor of the class I'm currently enrolled in towards the end of the semester. Do you think there would be any way of mentioning to him now that I may ask him for a LOR at the end of the semester and somewhat check to see if he is availbe to write one? LORs are due to my pre-health committee may 30th and the class won't be over till may 4th. So could I potentially ask him for an LOR before the class is over. I'm very worried because I'm not real sure about asking anyone else for an LOR.

Also I was wondering can a lab instructor write a science LOR? She teaches many different types of biology labs (I had her for ecology lab) and also teaches an anatomy class. She isn't a Phd though. Would this not be a good LOR to get for the science requirement?

Thanks for the help.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. delpier07

Pre-Medical
    You can definitely ask a professor that you currently have. I would go to their office hours once or twice with some questions (thoughtful questions about how two things relate, current research on a topic, etc., not questions that can just be answered by reading the book) before asking if they could write you a letter. Go to office hours a couple more times after asking them for the letter with some more interesting questions so they won't forget they agreed to write a letter for you.

4. Dr. Josh

Dr. Josh Guest

Pre-Medical

You should ask whoever knows you best and can write the best letter for you. I'm stuck asking my two professors this semester (they each have me for two classes) and it's my last semester. Only one is a science professor. My other science is going to have to come from my retake of orgo in summer school this coming summer. :eek: Now that is really chancey but what else am I going to do? I took some sciences abroad or took them in big classes or too long ago for the professor to remember me.

5. malisa

malisa OB/Gyn

Attending Physician
    Thanks! I have been talking to the teacher sometimes right after class and I have signed up to do an extra-credit presentation for class. I just didn't want to wait till the end of the semester to ask because what if that isn't enough time or he is really busy then.

6. malisa

malisa OB/Gyn

Attending Physician
    So does anyone know whether or not it would be ok to ask my lab instructor for a LOR? I explained her in my original post.

7. Falco2525

Medical Student
    without a PhD medical schools will not take the opinion as seriously...i would suggest another venue

8. gujuDoc

Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
    BTW: don't use a lab TA as a LOR writer because a tenured professor is more highly looked upon then a graduate student in terms of LORs. Perhaps if it comes down to that make sure it is ok with your schools of interest. But make sure they can write you a strong LOR.

9. gujuDoc

You beat me to it. I just posted the same exact thing. :laugh: :laugh:

10. TleilaxuMD

TleilaxuMD Banned
    Banned

Your mom knows you pretty well.:idea:

11. gujuDoc

:laugh: :laugh: