Who to ask for reference

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emagdnim

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I know there are a few of these questions submitted here, but hoping you knowledgeable people don't mind one more.

I have had several references completed for me but still need an additional one. Due to a few unexpected bumps along the way I feel like I'm stuck and reaching for who to ask. I have two people in mind - one who wrote a LOR to get me into grad school and who was also a former supervisor who had great things to say at one point. But this was 3.5 years ago and I've lost contact.

The other is more recent, has supplied an employment reference for me in the not so distant past, but seems quite reluctant to help me out with this one. I had a great relationship with him but he is quite against these kinds of things. He did say that if I ran out of options to come try him again but I'm worried about what he might put on it.

Does anyone have any suggestions? This is not a new issue and I'm hoping I can find a solution.

Members don't see this ad.

I would reconnect with the old supervisor. I am always happy to hear what former supervisees are doing and have no problem writing a letter for them even if I haven't heard from them in a few years.

What is the reference for?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have had several references completed for me but still need an additional one. Due to a few unexpected bumps along the way I feel like I'm stuck and reaching for who to ask. I have two people in mind - one who wrote a LOR to get me into grad school and who was also a former supervisor who had great things to say at one point. But this was 3.5 years ago and I've lost contact.

The other is more recent, has supplied an employment reference for me in the not so distant past, but seems quite reluctant to help me out with this one. I had a great relationship with him but he is quite against these kinds of things. He did say that if I ran out of options to come try him again but I'm worried about what he might put on it.

Does anyone have any suggestions? This is not a new issue and I'm hoping I can find a solution.
Agree with @smalltownpsych.

You don't need to plead for a (potentially) lukewarm and unflattering reference from anyone who is showing signs of "reluctance" and being "against these kinds of things." After all, your allies (i.e., letter writers) will want to help you and be supportive of your career aspirations, and not dismissive.

So, contact the former supervisor and ask him/her if they would be willing to prepare a strong and positive letter of reference on your behalf.

Thank you.

Thank you for the advice.

I reached out to the old supervisor but haven't gotten a response. I'm fairly certain I have the correct address still as I did a bit of research. I can keep waiting - perhaps they are away, or have something else going on - or I can try calling them. I'm a little unsure of how to proceed. I was left hanging by a previous potential referee and tried contacting through other means and in retrospect feel that this might have pushed them away further. I'm trying to be more delicate this time, so I'm not sure whether a phone call places unexpected and added pressure onto them if indeed they did receive my previous contact and have not responded for some reason or another.

Last edited: