Who to get LOR's from

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

duvaldentist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so i know different schools require different types of LORs some being sci professors some being dentist and some being non-sci professors... But my question is whats the best way to go about choosing who to write one’s LORs... For example i would like to have a LOR from a professor in each of the sciences (one from bio, chem, and physics). Is that a good strategy? Or would it be more beneficial to find the top bio professors (since I am a bio major) to write my LORs, because is a letter from a physicsII lower level professor look less favorably upon then a letter from lets say my upper level microbial bio professor? Also I took my chem classes with professors who no longer attend my university, so I was wondering if a lab professor (who only has her masters) would be ok since she really knows me and can talk about my lab technique etc… And lastly do admissions look at the LOR writer’s credentials and take that into account into how much weight/help an LOR can be worth?

So just a quick recap:

1)What type of professors are best to obtain LORs from? (one from each department, or the most senior course instructors?)

2) Is it a bad idea to get a LOR from a lab professor with only a masters degree instead of a PHD?

3) Do dental schools do research on an LOR writer’s credentials as a way to rank the LOR?

Members don't see this ad.

1)What type of professors are best to obtain LORs from? (one from each department, or the most senior course instructors?)
It is not necessary to get one from each department. Look at all the schools you want to apply to and make sure you meet the requirements for each. Some say 2 prof 1 other or 1 prof, 1 dent, 1 community leader...

CHoose a professor that you know! Preferably from biology but it does not make much of a difference if it is from an o-chem or biochemistry professor. The more they know about you the better!

(IF you do not have a professor you are comfortable with and know then find one that you believe will still write you a good letter. Create a document with classes and grades you recieved from them and some things about you such as extracurricular activities, leadership experience, interests, etc...:thumbup:)

2) Is it a bad idea to get a LOR from a lab professor with only a masters degree instead of a PHD?

A professor with PHD may carry more weight however this is my opinion on it:
1. PHD & Great letter = :D:thumbup: Great
2. PHD & Bad Letter = :thumbdown:sleep: No good
3. Masters & Great letter = :thumbup: Good
4. Masters & Bad Letter =:thumbdown:thumbdown

3) Do dental schools do research on an LOR writer's credentials as a way to rank the LOR?

Not sure... But some professors may be recognized by a commitee than others... This may depend upon the school though...

I had 2 professors and 1 Dentist write my letters... It fullfilled the requirements for all the schools I applied to (except Loma Linda which requires a religous leader)

Ok so i know different schools require different types of LORs some being sci professors some being dentist and some being non-sci professors... But my question is whats the best way to go about choosing who to write one’s LORs... For example i would like to have a LOR from a professor in each of the sciences (one from bio, chem, and physics). Is that a good strategy? Or would it be more beneficial to find the top bio professors (since I am a bio major) to write my LORs, because is a letter from a physicsII lower level professor look less favorably upon then a letter from lets say my upper level microbial bio professor? Also I took my chem classes with professors who no longer attend my university, so I was wondering if a lab professor (who only has her masters) would be ok since she really knows me and can talk about my lab technique etc… And lastly do admissions look at the LOR writer’s credentials and take that into account into how much weight/help an LOR can be worth?

So just a quick recap:

3) Do dental schools do research on an LOR writer’s credentials as a way to rank the LOR?

for 1) Generally speaking, 4 LORs in the following order will satisfy MOST dental schools:
-2 from science professors (Biology and/or Chemistry)
-1 from non-science professor (can be in anything nonsciene like: english, history, sociology, psycology, etc etc)
-1 from dentist you shadowed.

for 2) Who knows... some schools will require an actual PhD while others won't be so strict.... in order to avoid any possible complications, you should seek them from PhDs who have taught you in a classroom (not lab)

for 3) who knows... but I HIGHLY doubt schools have that kind of free time to have thier admission people run around check the validity of the LORs writers... we are taking 5,000-10,000+ letters here.

Members don't see this ad :)
-2 from science professors (Biology and/or Chemistry)

How about physics? I'm rocking physics and my prof and I have a good relationship... both simular back grounds. I think he would write me a good letter... I plan to apply to many schools though and dont want to be limited by selecting him as a LOR. Other than him I have another bio prof and two dentists.

How about physics? I'm rocking physics and my prof and I have a good relationship... both simular back grounds. I think he would write me a good letter... I plan to apply to many schools though and dont want to be limited by selecting him as a LOR. Other than him I have another bio prof and two dentists.

Ya I'm in the same boat as well... The way I see it a physics professor is classified as a "science professor" or am I mistaken? ... And thanks for everyones input

I honestly don't know...

I remember some schools specifically want thier science LORs to be from Biology and or chemistry....

You need to check with the school