Who was/will be the first person you tell?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

8YearsLate

Sub Canus lupus familiaris
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know this is a different kind of post, but I feel like everyone's stressed and needs a positive focus. Between help desks that won't answer and filling out tedious secondaries, I know I do.

When you received the A / When you receive the A:

Who was/will be the first person you tell? Will you keep it to yourself for a while? Will you shout it from the rooftops? Will you have to make any difficult decisions regarding friends/family/partners? Are you willing to move anywhere, or is location a big deal? Do you think about the day, or try not to? If you've been accepted, was everyone on board? Did you have to leave anything/anyone behind? Are you scared? Are you excited? How are you managing it?

I know for me, it's something I want to let marinate for a while before sharing. But who knows? Maybe I run and hug my neighbor. Just curious how ya'll made the "announcement" or if you just quietly eloped the mistress that is medicine.
 
I remember thinking I would let it marinate but then telling my boss (was at work when I found out), and everyone around me. Acceptances are exciting, scary, and bring about all the emotions. Don't be afraid to share when the time comes.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I remember thinking I would let it marinate but then telling my boss (was at work when I found out), and everyone around me. Acceptances are exciting, scary, and bring about all the emotions. Don't be afraid to share when the time comes.

I did the same thing. Found out right before an exam, called my husband, my dad, told my professor, my classmates (because they asked why I was crying, lol). Took our kids out to dinner and told them, then proceeded to tell everyone at work the next day.
 
My partner. He was the one that inspired me to pursue medicine and has helped me over these years as a non trad who had no idea what it took to even get to this point today of applying.

Then my cat, who will judge me and tell me with her judgy stare that she would have been a MD in 2 years and already runs her own kitty clinic.
 
My Mum (and Dad).

Financially they've never held back for me and I owe them the world. Even now they continue to pay for my COL, and even offered to pay for tuition, but that's when I decided I couldn't let them do that. This is my journey.

I actually got accepted on my bday. I'll never forget the year I turned 25.

Good luck to current applicants! Never stop trying to get in!
 
Mine happened the other way around. My dad had my email account so he saw the acceptance before me and called me, and I didn't answer the phone because I was in SMP class. Then he texted in our family group text. I was the last one to find out this. It was fun though. I couldn't have done without my parents.

Lets see if anyone else having interesting story like mine 🙂

All the best who are waiting!
 
I just received an acceptance 2 weeks ago, the first in the 2020-2021 cycle for me.

The first thing I did was sit with myself for a few minutes to savor the moment and then I said with no one around, "I hope I make you proud, dad." He passed away from cancer when I was around 15. Though he missed out on so many moments in my life, I just knew he was looking out for me in heaven. Conceptual theoretical heaven, can't say if there actually is one.

And then I called up my long term partner of 5 years (since freshman year, we met in Chemistry 1A believe it or not) and told him that I did it! Then, I texted my favorite people in the world (mom, older sister, best friend).

All I am going to say to everyone going through this entire journey, especially this cycle, is that I believe in you. This singular moment is just one of many that will make the path of becoming a physician so rewarding. Best of luck everyone!
 
If I ever get accepted, I would have tell my mama bear because she is the one who has been through it all with me and never stopped believing in me even when others have looked down upon me...and then my dad ofc ! without these two, I am nothing !
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Western University COMP... Mom , Tufts Medical Center .... fellow med student on psych rotation(we didn't have Match Party in 2002), American Board of Anesthesiology... Wife