Who will goto CASE for sure?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentistBunaHay

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many of us got accepted to CASE but i'm wondering, how many of us are going to go there? I heard CASE is one of the better universities, but I don't know, i'm really thinking hard about it now? Any pros will help... Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey congrats to you!

How did Case inform you? Do you think that if I didn't hear today that I am not in?

Call them, they're really really nice about it. Actually the lady at first was joking around and told me that my file has been put on hold and she can't talk about it.... then she waited for my reaction and she started laughing and said "CONGRATULATIONS".. i asked her when the mail would be coming in, she said either today or tomorrow cuz' they mailed them a few days before dec.1. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Add me to the Case list!!! :) :D

Hey congrats!! Can someone give me some pros of why they would love to go there. I really want to go there but I want to specialize and I'm just wondering if I'll have a good chance being a CASE graduate. Any response will be appreciated.. thanks!

Pros:
1. Amazing faculty and student body
2. Excellent facilities
3. Very strong clinically and strong in research

I also heard some of their departments, such as orthodontics, are highly ranked. So, I think how good they are for specialization depends on what you plan to go into.

Hey man...I'm still waiting for Temple but I think Case is my "top" choice of the two.

I really liked the campus and faculty and students when I visited.

What city you from DentistBunaHay? I'm at Queen's U right now :)

DUBS said:
Pros:
1. Amazing faculty and student body
2. Excellent facilities
3. Very strong clinically and strong in research

I also heard some of their departments, such as orthodontics, are highly ranked. So, I think how good they are for specialization depends on what you plan to go into.

agreed, i'm going to CASE in the fall for sure. i know a lot of people say the location is horrible, but I think Cleveland is great. everything about Case seems very top-notch.

UMich Pre-Dent said:
agreed, i'm going to CASE in the fall for sure. i know a lot of people say the location is horrible, but I think Cleveland is great. everything about Case seems very top-notch.

Count me in :D . I will be going to Case in the fall. Class of 2010!!

Does anyone know how good Cleveland is for other professions? My wife is an advertising/marketing person and I want to make sure she can find a job there.

Does anyone know of good housing/apt in the area??

Thanks in advance
Jason

puncho said:
Hey man...I'm still waiting for Temple but I think Case is my "top" choice of the two.

Hey puncho, i'm in toronto. So i'm one of those canadians that got accepted. Any other canadians in CASE yet.

case is my top choice regarding facilities and alll but how about that paper---that school is expensive how are you guys gonna pay for it all loans or what

where is everyone from??
We might be classmates so I thought we should start talking!! I am from Dallas, Texas............any hints on how to make it through the winters up there :)

Where do we look to see the rankings of the specialty programs?
Are there any current dental students on the forum?
Is there any reasonable $$$$ housing/apts that have garages???? (I'm bringing my car and its my baby :love: )

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm from Cleveland, Ohio (the suburbs about 40-50 min from Case) but went to school in Ann Arbor, Michigan. the weather isn't too bad at all, and you'll get used to it fast. there are a couple really bad days, but other than that it's just cold for a couple months.

Hey man, CONGRATS, we were interviewed the same day. I remember how badly you wanted to come back to cleveland. I'm sure you're goin' nuts. We split in the parking lot, i'm sure you remember. And we were both interviwed with the guy who interviwed us for hours! haha.

DentistBunaHay said:
Hey man, CONGRATS, we were interviewed the same day. I remember how badly you wanted to come back to cleveland. I'm sure you're goin' nuts. We split in the parking lot, i'm sure you remember. And we were both interviwed with the guy who interviwed us for hours! haha.

thanks a lot, yeah i definitely remember. i'm assuming things worked out well for you at all of your schools you interviewed at so congrats on that. yeah that guy interviewed us for hours, crazy. haha

I got an offer from Case. I really liked the school... sure it is not IVY league and gonna set you up for a speciality but like another school might... but I liked it there. They seemed to have a solid and relaxed program. I like that. You guys "might" see me there next year. Kinda have to decide between a few schools. But GO CASE!

I called Case today and I'm in yeah!

I have yet to recieve the letter of acceptance in the mail since I called on the first. Do you guys know how much the deposit is to hold your spot in the class? Thanks.

i think it is $1000 by jan 17th. And it has to be in their hands on the 17th no exceptions.

Hey guys, congrats to those who got accepted at Case! I am a first year at Case Dental, if you guys have any questions, dont hesitate to contact me.

hey from a current DS1 perspective at CASE, id say nail the boards, as with all school and you got a good shot at specializing. as far as GPA, id say CASE curves pretty darn big, mainly A's and B's for everyone in all the courses. clinically, its pretty strong starting with hands on experience in the first year, working with children doing sealants by the end of first semester. there is the dent sim practice in the first semester, as well as the begining of clinical prophies on patients in spring semester. there is also a free clinic down the street from CASE, where you can go to, to learn anything bout dentistry, and actually get the opportunity to perform before doing it on your classmates! i find that dental school in the first semester is brutal, brace yourself, but in the end no matter how much students bitch and complain, everything works out just fine.

for the person that said about brining the car, i live in the triangles, a block from school. it is CASE owned and operated. there is a private parking garage where you can park your car. this is like the only apt. complex i know of in the area with a parking garage, its nice to live close to school, but the rent is a lil bit pricey, but the winter months is about even with anywhere else, bc we aint got to pay for heat! and oh, it does get cold.

grinningrice said:
Hey guys, congrats to those who got accepted at Case! I am a first year at Case Dental, if you guys have any questions, dont hesitate to contact me.

Accepted to CASE!!!! Very stoked!!!!! Anyway if you're a D1 at Case do you know my buddy Cam? He's in your class. Do you remember how much the deposit is? Has it been pretty hard to get enough loans to cover tuition and such? Is Clevland as scarry as everyone would have you believe?

thanks

Lostinbul said:
Accepted to CASE!!!! Very stoked!!!!! Anyway if you're a D1 at Case do you know my buddy Cam? He's in your class. Do you remember how much the deposit is? Has it been pretty hard to get enough loans to cover tuition and such? Is Clevland as scarry as everyone would have you believe?

thanks
::gasp:: Do you mean Cammy? We love him, he is such a nice guy. The deposit is 1000 I believe. For me it hasnt been, but if you dont have money saved up, most likely you will have to take out a private loan. No, Cleveland isn't so bad, but it is a big city, so there are some dangers to the city I guess.

grinningrice said:
::gasp:: Do you mean Cammy? We love him, he is such a nice guy. The deposit is 1000 I believe. For me it hasnt been, but if you dont have money saved up, most likely you will have to take out a private loan. No, Cleveland isn't so bad, but it is a big city, so there are some dangers to the city I guess.

Thats a big negative as far as money already saved up. Private loans here I come!!!! Cam is what you would call "salt of the earth". Thanks for the info and good luck. Tell Cam that Rob says hello!

It's always nice to have more Canadians to join Case dental community! Congrats!

puncho said:

I have decided on Case over Tufts!!

Count me in guys for class of 2010!!

JMoney said:
I have decided on Case over Tufts!!

Count me in guys for class of 2010!!

Looks like we will be classmates JMoney :)

I can't believe you guys forgot about me :cool:

So, what are your thoughts on this brand new curriculum they are throwing at us class of 2010? They're mixing a little bit of PBL here and there.

I feel like we're gonna be the guinea pigs. :eek:

polarnut said:
So, what are your thoughts on this brand new curriculum they are throwing at us class of 2010? They're mixing a little bit of PBL here and there.

I feel like we're gonna be the guinea pigs. :eek:

You guys will get an electric hand piece in your D1 kit :smuggrin: and I can't think of any other changes to your class.

Hey Derek! Meimi told me you frequented this board...

Anyways, I'm that guy whose luggage was held up that night. Thank you and the others so much for willingly lending out your stuff!

I really liked Case and I think I'll be attending next year. Hope to see you guys again come next year. :)

i am joining this group :laugh: class of 2010!!!need to send the check out :D

I got some info from Case after emailing them.

New tuition is set to $42500 (up from $40285).

"Tablet PCs will be mandatory for this year. They will be provided by the school and included in your first year financial aid budget." :mad:

I'm still gonna try to see if I can get outta this.

Did anymore get a scholarship from case??

puncho said:
I got some info from Case after emailing them.

New tuition is set to $42500 (up from $40285).

"Tablet PCs will be mandatory for this year. They will be provided by the school and included in your first year financial aid budget." :mad:

I'm still gonna try to see if I can get outta this.

this means that we have to buy their laptop? i'd much rather go out and get my own, are you sure we need theirs?

well guys/gals I got accepted to Arizona so I am sorry to say that I will not be attending with you, unless someone can give me a reason why Arizona is no match for Case.

Jason

JMoney said:
well guys/gals I got accepted to Arizona so I am sorry to say that I will not be attending with you, unless someone can give me a reason why Arizona is no match for Case.

Jason

Arizona is too new, everything is in a "testing" stage. If you are going to pay so much $ for your dental education, why not go to a school that has FULL TIME professors and has years of experience of educating future dentists? arizona does have alot of potential (keyword is potential) but as a student, i don't think you will benefit from it at this stage. I wanted to go to asdoh also after I saw their school. It's so nice and high tech but then when I sit down and think about it and lookk at the $ part...I don't know. I am actually looking for some reasons to choose asdoh too. Can someone help pls ?

Not just laptops, but Tablet PCs (where you can write on them), which makes them much more expensive. :(

That was what the person at Case (Mr. Sherman) said.

Hey puncho, did you get any e-mail update on the PBL thing?

Not yet, Mr. Sherman gave me someone else to ask so I sent one off today.

Oops, just check my email and I received a reply:

"To put the change in perspective, we have a 3 year implementation plan that begins next fall. All courses will eventually be taught under 4 themes: health and well-being, disease processes, restoration of health and maintenance of health. There are also 2 threads woven throughout: leadership and inquiry. Together we believe this will provide an integrated approach to learning. We will begin with small group learning next fall in some of the basic science courses. However, we will continue to have lectures and seminars throughout. Our approach is a hybrid of PBL for the small group sessions."

Not TOO specific as to how much time would be spent on PBL. I guess I'd enjoy a hybrid more than full PBL...sounds good to me. :)

puncho said:
Oops, just check my email and I received a reply:

"To put the change in perspective, we have a 3 year implementation plan that begins next fall. All courses will eventually be taught under 4 themes: health and well-being, disease processes, restoration of health and maintenance of health. There are also 2 threads woven throughout: leadership and inquiry. Together we believe this will provide an integrated approach to learning. We will begin with small group learning next fall in some of the basic science courses. However, we will continue to have lectures and seminars throughout. Our approach is a hybrid of PBL for the small group sessions."

Not TOO specific as to how much time would be spent on PBL. I guess I'd enjoy a hybrid more than full PBL...sounds good to me. :)

THANKS ALOT! that helps quite a bit. That theme thing is really cool. When i interviewed there, one of the students told us that we're gonna love that because you will have to know everything about one organ system at one time and then that's it, you're done with it! Then you start with the next organ system. it's pretty cool actually. Uconn does the same thing, the theme thing and it seems to make people do much better because they do all the histo, physio etc etc of one organ system at a time. Anyways, thanks for the update.

Okasha said:
Did anymore get a scholarship from case??

Were the scholarships supposed to be sent out this week?

DentistBunaHay said:
THANKS ALOT! that helps quite a bit. That theme thing is really cool. When i interviewed there, one of the students told us that we're gonna love that because you will have to know everything about one organ system at one time and then that's it, you're done with it! Then you start with the next organ system. it's pretty cool actually. Uconn does the same thing, the theme thing and it seems to make people do much better because they do all the histo, physio etc etc of one organ system at a time. Anyways, thanks for the update.

UNLV has similar approach to the curriculum. Not the PBL perse, but the whole theme approach. Allows materials to be more easily absorbed by the students. You're not just learning microbiology, virology, anatomy. You learn all these as integrated part of one another in context of dental health.

I think the curriculum alone really sold me to attend Case. I just interviewed for Boston school this morning (currently writing this in a business center at a hotel nearby), and their curriculum is the traditional ****load of lecture/exam format. All the students say you get to learn alot but for the first 2 years you're gonna wish you hadn't come there. Besides, once you take the board I, you're gonna forget most of the facts like you do with DATs.

So.....the Boston interview really further strengthened by decision to go to Case.

polarnut said:
UNLV has similar approach to the curriculum. Not the PBL perse, but the whole theme approach. Allows materials to be more easily absorbed by the students. You're not just learning microbiology, virology, anatomy. You learn all these as integrated part of one another in context of dental health.

I think the curriculum alone really sold me to attend Case. I just interviewed for Boston school this morning (currently writing this in a business center at a hotel nearby), and their curriculum is the traditional ****load of lecture/exam format. All the students say you get to learn alot but for the first 2 years you're gonna wish you hadn't come there. Besides, once you take the board I, you're gonna forget most of the facts like you do with DATs.

So.....the Boston interview really further strengthened by decision to go to Case.

polarnut, i'm having a really hard time deciding between BU and Case. Everything about Case's dental school is very appealing, but the idea of living in Cleveland for four years is turning me off. The thing is, I don't have any family or friends anywhere nearby Cleveland. However, I do at Boston, and from what I have heard about it, it seems like a great place to live. In terms of the school itself, I like the program, curriculum, and 70 students : 70 chairs at Case better than I like the school of Boston. Since you seem to have a pretty good idea of both schools, do you have any suggestions? I've been stressing over this decision over the past 2 weeks and haven't moved much either way since. Thanks a lot.

For all the people on this thread who have decided to attend Case for sure, can you tell me your main reasons? I interviewed for Case back in September and I don't remember the size of their patient pool. Do Case students ever have to face a shortage of patients to work on since their are receptionists who take care of that for the students? Also, I read in one of the posts on this site that by the time you graduate, you have only performed approximately only 5 root canals. Is any of this true?

DUBS said:
For all the people on this thread who have decided to attend Case for sure, can you tell me your main reasons? I interviewed for Case back in September and I don't remember the size of their patient pool. Do Case students ever have to face a shortage of patients to work on since their are receptionists who take care of that for the students? Also, I read in one of the posts on this site that by the time you graduate, you have only performed approximately only 5 root canals. Is any of this true?
I do not believe that Case students really face a shortage of patients to work on. I think we have a waitlist actually to become a patient at CASE dental. You may not have the chance to perform certain expensive procedures(such as a root canal) on patients not becasue there are not enought patients, but because the patients cannot afford the procedures. Most people that come into a dental school for dental work are on HMO's and welfare, but that is true for all dental schools.

grinningrice said:
I do not believe that Case students really face a shortage of patients to work on. I think we have a waitlist actually to become a patient at CASE dental. You may not have the chance to perform certain expensive procedures(such as a root canal) on patients not becasue there are not enought patients, but because the patients cannot afford the procedures. Most people that come into a dental school for dental work are on HMO's and welfare, but that is true for all dental schools.

first of all, thanks for the reply. Can you tell me more about Case? How do students perform on board scores and is that new hybrid PBL system working well (i.e. are students happy and learning in an interactive way)? Also, does Case offer readily available research opportunities for students who would like to be involved with it? I also wanted to know about the living expenses there (e.g. typical food, housing, transportation, etc.). thanks a lot.

first of all, thanks for the reply. Can you tell me more about Case? How do students perform on board scores and is that new hybrid PBL system working well (i.e. are students happy and learning in an interactive way)?
I cant speak for all students, but we only have had a little bit of PBL and we have only had one semester. So I dont think I could give you much insight on the pbl thing.
Also, does Case offer readily available research opportunities for students who would like to be involved with it?
We have a research fair I believe coming up as first years. We get the summer off, but those who want to research have the oppertunity to do research and get compensated for it this summer.
I also wanted to know about the living expenses there
Living for me is pretty cheap. I live at the fraternity house and I pay 300/month and that includes all utlilties. However, its like living in a frat house, has the perks and the consequences.... But I think my fellow classmates are renting from about 400-900 a month which is cheap or expensive depending on where you are coming from.