Who would you rather shadow...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bella_dottoressa

make it happen
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I have just received 2 responses to shadowing inquiries I made last week...one of the doctors is an emergency medicine guy and the other radiation oncology. They both seem like very very nice docs but I have yet to meet with either. This early in the game for me I don't really have any real idea what type of physician I'd like to be...barring the fact that I've always sort of liked the idea of EM. I tend to lean that way in choosing who to shadow...but I was just wondering if anyone could comment on who you think I might have a better experience with. I really want to just set up shadowing with both of them but I already have soooooo much going on this quarter...I'm really tempted to though! :) Any advice much appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Crystal,
A couple of years ago I did a tutorial in Radiation Oncology. I highly recommend it. I went on Tuesdays and Fridays...basically each time I worked with a different resident, usually reading medical histories, seeing patients, and discussing prognoses, etc.

When the attending came around he usually let me "examine" the patient (only if they wanted me to and this was way before HIPAA..) and touch where their tumor was or had been. It was amazing! I had never been able to touch a patient before, and actually I haven't since.

Also, I was able to get to "know" the patient a little bit based on their med hx files. I think with ED it may be a little different b/c the patient will be a stranger to most everybody. Some of the patients in oncology had been follow-ups for years and had a great relationship with the doc.

As I'm sure you're aware though...it can get pretty sad. I saw a lot of sick people, and pediatric cases were seen on Tuesdays.
IT's tough to deal with, but I guess that's what it's like to be a real doctor!!

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask!

greenie

Members don't see this ad :)
I work in an emergency dept. so I might be bias, but I think if you can only see one of them, I would pick the EM doc because of the variety of cases and people you will undoubtedly see. However, if the ER that doc works in is small and patient volume is low, it may not be as interesting, since the ED is entriely dependent on the patients who decide to come in that day - at least with oncol. you'll know there are people on the schedule. The other thing I would consider is what are you more interested in, the medical part or the patient interaction part. If you choose the former, I would be more inclined to go with the EM doc, but if you prefer the latter, I might choose the oncol doc because you will most likely see more in depth interaction. EM is a little difficult to shadow because there are always a million things going on at one time, but that's also what makes it interesting. Hope this helps.

if you're not doing it through any "program" that puts requirements, do both! just do half as much time as you intended with each. Then, after a few weeks/months, you can settle on one, if you wish.

Otherwise, i would reccomend EM, based on what you've said. For one, you said you're kindof into EM. for two, it's considered a good thing to get ER exposure (but this is a weak reason, i don't think school really care).
If either of them is at a medical school (aka, med students are with the doc while you shadow), it will make it leagues of a better experience. b/c you'll have more people to be your mentor, and learn a bit about the clinical years.

If you g et to do a little more then shadowing (helping them in some way), it often makes it a better experience. It can get boring just shadowing and watching all the time (at least for me!)

Sonya

Thanks so much for the responses so far guys!! Both docs are at the teaching hospitals here in Columbus and both are medical school professors too. I think I will just do both for maybe 2 hrs a week each and then settle on one eventually or keep up both. Do you think that is too little time to devote though to get a good picture? I'd really like to keep it up the whole year though.

definately, if you can, try both.

if you are shadowing at a large hospital, the ER would no doubt be very exciting, but you may acquire that paranoia of always feeling like you're "in the way" if you're not working with really accomodating people. the oncology post, assuming a significant amount of patient contact, would also be killer experience.

lastly, its my personal opinion that it would be better to shadow more along the lines of 4 hrs per day, once a week, for 6 mos., than 2 hrs per week for a whole year. if you're there for longer durations, you'll probably strike up a better rapport with whomever you're shadowing and you won't always get that feeling of, "man, just when things were starting to get interesting..." whenever you leave.

Do both!

EM would be fun and exciting but I doubt there would be room for a more "hands-on" experience. If the doctor in Radiation Oncology is cool, you might get to really dig your teeth into medicine.

I know, I'd really like to go for a longer shift but the oncologist only offered me Tuesdays and on Tuesdays this quarter I only have breaks of 2-2.5 hrs during the day...maybe next quarter I'll have a bigger chunk of time.

I'm excited I'm excited! I think I will try both...who needs sleep, anyhow? :) My first day with the oncologist is in 2 weeks...I want to learn some more about the specialty. Anyone know anything about radiation oncology? :)

Good luck! I think it's good that you're doing both... they will be radically different experiences. :)

How about the Dean of Admissions...what a dream.:rolleyes:

Heb

Slap slap "Wake up"

What it wasn't real :mad:

Pick ONE that you're interested in. Stick with that one, and shadow for as much time as you can afford - get as close as you can to the dude - so he can get to really know you and write a good indepth rec.

If you do both, you won't get really close to either one of them. Don't underestimate the power of knowing people. So make sure you befriend the doc - if he really likes you, he will go out of his way for you.

~Lubdubb