23 schools in 2005, 49 schools in 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Are they inviting people with 25 mcat scores by the boatload? Didn't think so.
Quit whining. The 10th %ile at a number of MD schools is ~500, and medians are on par with a number of DO schools. Some DO schools have LizzyM score that exceed those for some MD schools, especially those in the midwest and south.

And most people with a 25 can handle med school, but they'll struggle. Don't think that having a high MCAT score makes one a better person or they'll be a better doctor.

Look, I'm not a fan of the DO expansion either. This will blow up in the AOA's face when graduates can't get into residencies...unless Congress coughs up the money to open more residency programs.

YOU can do something about this by joining the AOA and getting involved in the decision making process. Fix the organization from the inside, because with the "More DOs good!" mindset they have, they're not going to listen to you from the outside.

Reactions: 9 users
Not sure what you are implying here, plenty of people with 25 mcats have succeeded in medical school and are fantastic docs.

Quit whining. The 10th %ile at a number of MD schools is ~500, and medians are on par with a number of DO schools. Some DO schools have LizzyM score that exceed those for some MD schools, especially those in the midwest and south.

And most people with a 25 can handle med school, but they'll struggle. Don't think that having a high MCAT score makes one a better person or they'll be a better doctor.

Look, I'm not a fan of the DO expansion either. This will blow up in the AOA's face when graduates can't get into residencies...unless Congress coughs up the money to open more residency programs.

YOU can do something about this by joining the AOA and getting involved in the decision making process. Fix the organization from the inside, because with the "More DOs good!" mindset they have, they're not going to listen to you from the outside.

Nobody cares about the LizzyM score. The truth is all of these DO schools opening left and right are disgraceful. All COCA sees is the money. I would suggest the existing DO schools be fixed before doubling the number of them.

It is hard to get involved with the AOA because if you don't support their liberal and current positions they will ignore you or shun you out. The AOA keeps people who don't align with their views on the outside. Hard to get on the inside when they won't listen.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There are quite a few hidden gems in the ~25 MCAT range. If you studied hard for the MCAT and scored 25 or below then that’s a problem. A 25 without any studying means the person could have easily bumped that score up into the 30s with the proper study habits. Medical school has a way of lighting a fire under those kinds of people.

Reactions: 6 users
There are quite a few hidden gems in the ~25 MCAT range. If you studied hard for the MCAT and scored 25 or below then that’s a problem. A 25 without any studying means the person could have easily bumped that score up into the 30s with the proper study habits. Medical school has a way of lighting a fire under those kinds of people.
Me in a nutshell. Didn’t study whatsoever, thought I would do fine because my other standardized tests had been great... once I learned how to study in med school I was a changed man

Do you believe that most people who apply with a 25 really just didn't study? I don't really believe so especially given how easy it is to learn what you need to do online. I agree that someone who didn't give a **** and then came to school and did well isn't too surprising. I don't think it's common.

As an aside, I also don't think that most people who do bad/below average in school end up doing well on boards generally despite a vocal minority.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you believe that most people who apply with a 25 really just didn't study? I don't really believe so especially given how easy it is to learn what you need to do online. I agree that someone who didn't give a **** and then came to school and did well isn't too surprising. I don't think it's common.

As an aside, I also don't think that most people who do bad/below average in school end up doing well on boards generally despite a vocal minority.

Tbh, I studied the wrong way. My mcat was probably a significant undershot, though some of it honestly had to do with my ineptness with PS.
But sure, I'll argue that I'm probably a minority. There are a lot of ppl who got 25s and honestly just aren't that brilliant. But at the same time, most medicine doesn't require you to be brilliant and probably if anything fits more of a mechanic's mind. I think too much of SDN is about patting yourself on the back about how great and brilliant minds medicine requires. Truth is beyond a point, it really doesn't.

And yes, truthfully your boards are entirely dependent on how much you put into it. Someone who got Cs trying their best probably won't break a 220 on the USMLE no matter how much they try. But at the sametime they don't really get dinged much for not knowing the MOA of a drug or the electron microscopy of a Burbeck granule in real life.

Reactions: 1 users
Make no mistake. Many of the students who would have ended up in the caribbean are taken up by the newer DO school.

It’s time to stop the DO expansion before it becomes the synonym for a weaker education.

Reactions: 3 users

Of course I don’t believe most people with a 25 just didn’t study, but the number doesn’t tell the whole story - hence the hidden gems.

I don’t think many people disagree with your second point.

21 MD schools have opened in the same time period. 22, if you count UNLV
This is a disingenuous comparison. The MD schools that have opened don't have 125+ seats and also opened after there are 100+ established schools in place. The expansion by DO has been vulgar and banking on the idea of creating profit and that residencies will accommodate such increases.

Reactions: 1 users
Make no mistake. Many of the students who would have ended up in the caribbean are taken up by the newer DO school.

It’s time to stop the DO expansion before it becomes the synonym for a weaker education.

It already is.

Reactions: 2 users
A 25 MCAT isn't exactly the right number for this sort of argument. Many DO schools (including good ones) had mean matriculant MCAT scores of ~25 within the last 5 years or so.

A more accurate number would be around 23.

Medical schools will take the most competitive applicants they can get. If that means getting a 23, they will take em'. The day I seen any DO OR MD schools, cut their class sizes due to only having sub-stellar applicants left over is the day I believe they have real standards.