Who's applying to Nevada College of Pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tao08244

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of applying there this year, anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

I am. Still waiting for that apps to come out though. Where else are you applying to?

yuki said:
I am. Still waiting for that apps to come out though. Where else are you applying to?

The application is already available on their website. You can print it out. I was initially planning to apply for pharmacy school next year, but I thought maybe I'd try this year. So far, this is the one school I'm really interested in. Maybe I'll only apply here this year and see what happens.

Members don't see this ad :)
tao08244 said:
The application is already available on their website. You can print it out. I was initially planning to apply for pharmacy school next year, but I thought maybe I'd try this year. So far, this is the one school I'm really interested in. Maybe I'll only apply here this year and see what happens.

what is the website address? the website that i know of, http://www.nvcp.edu/html/admissions_application.html, no longer works for me?

Thanks, did you notice that letters of recommendations are no longer required for this school! Why do you think that is??

yuki said:
Thanks, did you notice that letters of recommendations are no longer required for this school! Why do you think that is??

Yeah, I noticed they're not required anymore, but I don't know why. Anyone know why?

tao08244 said:
Yeah, I noticed they're not required anymore, but I don't know why. Anyone know why?
From what I heard (in first week of school), Dr. DeYoung said LORs are just a waste of time for both adcom and students (due to the fact that they are so busy with students, and planning for interview, choosing candidates...)==> not enough time to read LORs = throw them away. :D So yeah, no longer LORs

I heard from Dr. DeYoung that they base interviews solely on your GPA (prereq and overall), they don't look at your essay answers until right before the interview.. and they just use those answers so they can ask questions specific to you in the interview.
I'm applying there this year too. =)

I heard the same thing rxforlife2004 did, from a member of the faculty (the one who posted on this forum awhile back). LORs just don't get read, so the requirement has been dropped.

azynchica said:
I heard from Dr. DeYoung that they base interviews solely on your GPA (prereq and overall), they don't look at your essay answers until right before the interview.. and they just use those answers so they can ask questions specific to you in the interview.
I'm applying there this year too. =)

When I sat on interview panels a few years back, we would have access to a candidate's file, which we look through before the candidate enters the room. We would briefly look through the "essay" answers, LORs, other info prior to the interview. But as far as questions asked, there are "suggested questions" to ask, and we can ask any other question that comes to mind...usually those are spurred by something we read in the file.

looks like nevada is setting an example for other schools to follow.

why do pharmacy schools have to use such an inconvienent way of having their own special applications? they should use the system that medical schools use, where a reference can just use a word processor and send that same letter to all of the applicant's desired schools.

i also have a dilemma with the pharmcas, to make it worth all the money to apply, they should receive one letter from each reference and then send those lor's to desired schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, this question isn't for me but for my aunt who wants to apply here. She's a little confused about when her pre-req's have to be done. You can send in your application until feb 05, correct? and still have some pre-req's in progress when you send in you app. But then they say that the last pre-req's have to be done by december. Do they mean december 2005 or 2004? Would they let you finish a pre-req class while in pharm school?

LVPharm said:
When I sat on interview panels a few years back, we would have access to a candidate's file, which we look through before the candidate enters the room. We would briefly look through the "essay" answers, LORs, other info prior to the interview. But as far as questions asked, there are "suggested questions" to ask, and we can ask any other question that comes to mind...usually those are spurred by something we read in the file.

So the school doesn't require an actual essay? It's just the questions in the application?

tao08244 said:
So the school doesn't require an actual essay? It's just the questions in the application?

Sorry, it's the short answer portion of the application that was looked at, although we call them "essay answers". There usually is an actual essay that the candidate has to write on the interview day. I am unsure as to whether or not it will be done this year, I've heard "not".

Nick York said:
Hi, this question isn't for me but for my aunt who wants to apply here. She's a little confused about when her pre-req's have to be done. You can send in your application until feb 05, correct? and still have some pre-req's in progress when you send in you app. But then they say that the last pre-req's have to be done by december. Do they mean december 2005 or 2004? Would they let you finish a pre-req class while in pharm school?

You may want to direct this question to the office of Dr. DeYoung. His administrative assistant may not be available, but Dr. DeYoung is a very nice guy, and would be happy to help you out here. email: mdeyoung "at" usn "dot" edu

Disclaimer: What I'm about to tell you is unofficial, and does not represent the views or opinions of USN. ;)

My guess is that 4 of the science prereqs have to be completed by December of this year, 2004 so that they can calculate the science prereq gpa. They will need to do this sooner rather than later to help rank candidates for interview invitations. You can still have other courses in progress at the time of application, until before school starts. Just be sure updated transcripts are sent to the school even after your aunt gets her conditional acceptance letter. That's why it's "conditional" ;)

As far as finishing a prereq while in school, I'm tempted to say no. We had a student (or two) few years back asked to withdraw a few weeks into the school year because of incomplete prereqs.

Applicants must complete four of the Science Prerequisites by the end of December so that the Admissions Office can calculate the Science Prerequisite Grade Point Average.

The rest of the Pre-Reqs have to be done by August 8th (that was the date for me anyway).

I am planning aplly to Nevada College of Pharmacy too, I heard in the last two years the GPA about 3.5 to 3.7 perspectively

Good luck everyone including me :)

Average GPA this year was 3.6

is this the overall GPA or the math/science???

Do they only count the GPA? what about the interview? and how long is the interview? what kind of questions will they ask during the interview?

vanatv said:
Do they only count the GPA? what about the interview? and how long is the interview? what kind of questions will they ask during the interview?

Check out the Pharmacy Interview Feedback sticky. There are 11 listings for Nevada's program.

I will be applying this year (finally), after several years of getting my pre-reqs put away (just three to go!).

I have one (probably silly) question: anybody know an easy way to type the responses into the application, beyond actually printing it out and putting it into a typewriter? And on that note, how do you manage to type in the school and pre-req pages, being as they are in "landscape" format?

I suppose those pages could be handwritten neatly...I'm just being over-anxious at this point, and really want to make it to the interview phase.

--RD

flyer said:
looks like nevada is setting an example for other schools to follow.

why do pharmacy schools have to use such an inconvienent way of having their own special applications? they should use the system that medical schools use, where a reference can just use a word processor and send that same letter to all of the applicant's desired schools.

i also have a dilemma with the pharmcas, to make it worth all the money to apply, they should receive one letter from each reference and then send those lor's to desired schools.

My god, you and should have a cup of coffee together and rant about how stupid pharmacy schools are about their supplemental applications. For those of us who shell out a few hundred dollars expecting this centralized service to make our lives easier, we soon realize it's hardly true. I had to get my letter writers to fill out a small stack of evaluations to send to each school. Med school is better, at least they can worry a little as the secondaries come. Ok, time to fill out another app! :laugh:

RDlv said:
I will be applying this year (finally), after several years of getting my pre-reqs put away (just three to go!).

I have one (probably silly) question: anybody know an easy way to type the responses into the application, beyond actually printing it out and putting it into a typewriter? And on that note, how do you manage to type in the school and pre-req pages, being as they are in "landscape" format?

I suppose those pages could be handwritten neatly...I'm just being over-anxious at this point, and really want to make it to the interview phase.

--RD

What I did was type the questions and answers on Microsoft Word, approximating the spaces provided. Worked for me, as I'm here now ;) As for the other prereq pages, I never had a page like that on my app from a few years ago. I doubt it will reflect negatively if you neatly handwrote that part.

Adobe acrobat....thats your only friend!!

im in the process of applying to USN right now, if they just go by GPA it would be interesting to see the out come.. :eek:

Corradoracer said:
Adobe acrobat....thats your only friend!!

I'm assuming you mean the full version (not the free reader?)

Corradoracer said:
im in the process of applying to USN right now, if they just go by GPA it would be interesting to see the out come.. :eek:

Which would you prefer (more or less emphasis on GPA)? I would actually prefer an emphasis on GPA (assuming its not required to be *too* high) as a lifetime of full-time work has never left me much time for volunteering/extracurriculars etc.

--RD

i really dont mind their GPA emphasis, but im sure thousands hate it

For those of are already admitted:
Did you guys take Physics when you got accepted to USN?

For those who are applying:

Have you all taken Physics just in case you didn't get into USN?
I'm thinking of skipping Physics but not sure.:eek:

What do you guys think? :rolleyes:

Thanks all!

for those whove been admitted to USN...

is it true that they grant interviews solely based on gpa?

for those whove been admitted to USN...

is it true that they grant interviews solely based on gpa?

i have friends who were, and spoke to Dr. Deyoung and the other admission woman they told me they put gpa's, degrees of all applicants in a computer prgm and select the top ones to interview. Does not matter when u apply either thats why they accept apps so late and release them so late too. My friend applied in january with high gpa and got accepted. like 3.87 gpa.

it's 150 bucks.... i don't even think i will waste my money cause my gpa is abt 3.56

honestly, i think there is a reason why 95+% of schools ask for essays, LOR, etc.

The rest of the Pre-Reqs have to be done by August 8th (that was the date for me anyway).

They would probably extend that deadline for you if you let them know that you will be having a problem meeting that deadline. However I would highly advise against that. Please get your pre-reqs done by the end of june/mid-july at the latest if at all possible. You don't know how stressful it is when your class ends on August 8th (like mine did) and you have to ask your instructors to get your grades posted by a certain date, and then ask the registar's office if you can get your transcripts early (my school supposedly would only have summer transcripts ready by August 26th), and then wait and wait and wait... and wait. It really sucked, but then maybe other people can deal with that better than I can.

--RD

As another mentioned, I used Adobe Acrobat reader and it worked out fine. I don't know which version it was (it says "Adobe Acrobat 8") on my computer, but it was the one that opened when I pulled up the application on my computer. I suppose it could be neatly handwritten, but when I dropped off my application at the campus, they were glad to see that I had typed the answers.

For the schools and pre-reqs pages, I just typed in the blanks and had no problem with it.

For those of are already admitted:
Did you guys take Physics when you got accepted to USN?

For those who are applying:

Have you all taken Physics just in case you didn't get into USN?
I'm thinking of skipping Physics but not sure.:eek:

What do you guys think? :rolleyes:

Thanks all!

I did have a physics course taken when I applied. Not sure if it helped much. I don't think it did really, but at least I have some fond memories of taking that course (it was over the summer when I first met my boyfriend. I was actually going to go home that summer, but I decided to stay and "take the physics course" instead; of course, it was only to be around him really).