Who's attending pre-interview dinner at their home program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lakeplacid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pros: Already know the residents (well this could be a pro or con ;))
Get to meet the other applicants
Get to have an applicant's view of the program, which can be very different from a med student's view

Cons: Already know the residents
Waste of time- you already know what your program is like and might look bored when everyone else is gushing and sucking up.

The last one is really key. It's easier for me to suck up and be super interested towards people I don't know. To do that to people I already know is just lame. Also, at my home program, I'm afraid applicants will start grilling me about program info that I don't really know anyway.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I wanted to add something else: at my program at least, I feel like I have a student-resident relationship with most of the upper-level residents. I'm more on an equal basis with the 1st and 2nd years, but seriously doubt they would have time to attend these dinners.

Anyway, all the residents are really nice and everything, but I wonder if my student mindset may be a hindrance for me at the dinner when you are supposed to be more of a peer and not a student. I think this is why I'm actually not looking forward to my home program dinner so much.

You forgot some:
Pros:
Look like you're really interested in the program (assuming you are and aren't just interviewing there to keep from pissing somebody off).
Free dinner

Cons:
I got nothin'

lakeplacid,

u're way overthinking this...it's a dinner, pure and simple. yes you know the residents already, yes you know how the system works, you may know all the details, but if i was you i'd go and charm up the residents even further and ask q's that you haven't asked b4 and may not know the answer to. i mean you could even talk about their opions on health care policy and the residents family and things like that...the goal is to come off as an individual who can communicate effecitvely, can carry on a conversation and does not have personality problems...do you seriously think that the program would pay for your dinner if there wasn't something in it for them? they talk to those residents after the dinner and get a perspective on your interpersonal skills...

these are just my opinions, but i would think it makes sense, no?

g'luck!!!
A :)

p.s. it's a point system, they want to see if you can use the proper dinner fork and if you overdrink :roflcopter:

u should go. if you don't, you'll look uninterested. you don't have to suck up at the dinner. just be nice, talk to the other applicants, chit chat with the residents, and eat some food.

Why wouldn't you unless travel plans get in the way? Free food at a nice restaurant and a good chance to talk to residents in a different setting. Most likely, it'll also be a more enjoyable and less stressful pre-interview dinner than the others will be because you already know some of the people and aren't spending the night in a hotel in a strange city, etc..

So this is a stupid question. Would you go to your home program's pre-interview dinner if it's hosted by the internal medicine dept but you're just applying for the prelim?

haha, that's precisely why I signed up for it. I just didn't know if it'd be awkward for me to be there.

It's awkward anywhere you go, Burns.

Anyway, I think it would look pretty bad for you to not go to your home pre-dinner, because you don't have the excuse of travel arrangements.

What are you going to tell them? A) I'm not interested? B) I'm busy (with what?) C) I don't eat food, I'm a robot.

If you're going to be bored during one dinner with them, why would you want to go there for 4+ years?

It's awkward anywhere you go, Burns.

Anyway, I think it would look pretty bad for you to not go to your home pre-dinner, because you don't have the excuse of travel arrangements.

What are you going to tell them? A) I'm not interested? B) I'm busy (with what?) C) I don't eat food, I'm a robot.

If you're going to be bored during one dinner with them, why would you want to go there for 4+ years?
Well, I signed you up too, so you're coming with. Sucka.