1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Who's going to ASDOH?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by selkie, Mar 2, 2007.

1. selkie

selkie DMD, Class of 2011
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Hey guys, I'm just curious who else is going to be starting at ASDOH next year. Also, just an FYI, if you have myspace you can add ASDOH to your schools list. You have to search for it as "Arizona School Dentistry" for some reason. But it's a good way to look around at the other students who are there and start making buddies! :)

2. 884167

Pre-Dental
    Hey,

I'll be starting there this summer. Totally Excited. I will for sure check out myspace. Great idea. See you soon...

3. DakotaDentist

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I will see you both there as well! I'm looking forward to it so much I can't even contain myself. I'm just pumped to get down there and start. It seems like July can't come fast enough. I'm looking foward to meeting all of my classmates as well. I don't have myspace so I can't join your group, but how bouts a facebook group? Do you guys have facebook too?

4. GoodTimes

Pre-Dental
    hello everyone. i'm looking forward to meeting all of you. likewise, i can't wait for july!! thanks for the myspace tip.

5. Shoshanah

Pre-Dental
    Hey Guys,
    Do u know what's the deal with the laptops....can we use/download the programs on the laptops that we already have or do we have to purchase a specific laptop?? Thanks

6. DakotaDentist

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    During my interview it sounded like they were pretty particular in what laptop you buy. It sounds like we will all have to buy the exact same one, even down to similar specs I think.

7. Manyak222

Manyak222 Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    You have to buy a specific laptop.
    At least it's not a crappy one...
    http://www.CDWG.com/ATSUASDOH

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. 3xCharm

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I was aware that we have to purchase a specific laptop, but when did they release the model required for the 2011 class? Manyak222, is this link for this years model? If so, apparently I missed whatever method they used to notify us of the model. Thanks for filling me in.

9. Manyak222

Manyak222 Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I got this from my.atsu.edu. they sent me my screen name and pw via email.
    this is the 07-08 model required, and i called up the ibm rep and she confirmed it was.

Oh, we also get a year of gym membership for free.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. the-badger

the-badger Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    With tuition at 40K I wouldn't call anything free. haha. but yes you will get a gym membership every year. Right now the contract is with a brand new facility very close to school.

11. 3xCharm

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I can't help but laugh at myself...I am excited about receiving a free 1 year gym membership for every $40,000 spent!!:laugh: :laugh:

So, what gym is it.

12. 3xCharm

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I can't help but laugh at myself...I am excited about receiving a free 1 year gym membership for every $40,000 spent!!:laugh: :laugh:

So, what gym is it.

13. the-badger

the-badger Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    This year the gym membership is to Fitness Works

14. jim85213

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Good gym....had a membership there for about three years.

15. WSDriller

WSDriller WSDriller
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    It is my understanding that if you choose to go to a different gym in the area, they will cut you a check for the same rate as your gym fees would be at fitness works. Which of course would not be enough to cover the cost since, I'm sure they are getting a great group rate at fitness works.

16. jim85213

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Which location is it?

17. ElDienteLoco

ElDienteLoco Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Actually...the gym membership comes from a donation and not your tuition

IBMs again this year? Is this year's model the notepad version? I know they were thinking about doing that.

Also, this year we had a choice of using Fitness Works (free) or 24-Hour Fitness (50 bucks I think). Family members are eligible for a discount, although it still would cost your spouse about $20-25 a month. It is a sweet deal if you can make yourself get to the gym.

Congratulations to all you incoming D1s. If you need anything or have any questions, email me at [email protected]. I'm a D3 and would be happy to help with anything I can.

18. WSDriller

WSDriller WSDriller
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    There is a fitness works at the corner of Baseline and Higley, but I think if you are a member at fitness works, it is good for any location.

19. jim85213

Dentist 10+ Year Member

I think you're right. Well if they'd just accept me, I could take advantage of these awesome benefits!

20. 3xCharm

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    If they would reimburse a portion of your gym membership should you choose a different membership I could actually make money...? I currently have a 24hour membership that cost myeabout $12/month, seriously, and I can get into every single gym in the nation (my previous gym was bought by 24 about 10 years ago). Probably wishful thinking but, hey, that would be cool:cool:

21. WSDriller

WSDriller WSDriller
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Has anyone purchased their computer yet? I have heard from current D1's at ASDOH that it may be helpfulto buy your computer early so you could get used to the feel of the laptop keyboard. It could serve to be beneficial in note taking during class to be familiar with the setup. Just a thought. I will probably buy mine soon.

22. ElDienteLoco

ElDienteLoco Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I bet you will become "comfortable" with the laptop keyboard soon enough. I know how you feel, I couldn't wait to get my laptop and I always wish I had more information from the school.

23. Hmmwhat

Hmmwhat Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    So for everyone stressing about getting the computers, I would hold off. Some of my class mates never bought the computer that the school required and frankly I wish I didn't either. Although I don't mind my computer, the screen sucks while watching movies and playing video games and I could have gotten a better computer for cheaper. There is nothing on the IBM that you can't have with another computer and save a few bucks. Of course the school won't like this but hey if I had another chance I would have gotten a different computer. Just make sure all the specs match up and just keep it to your self. Vital Source works on all new computers, I even believe macs so check it out. The school will of course tell you have to buy what they tell you, but I haven't had any problems. This suggestion goes for those who know about computers and simply look into what your purchasing thats all.

24. 3xCharm

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    So, I was talking with the head of IT today at work and was asking his opinion on the ASDOH required laptops. He had nothing but good things to say about them according to his experience, but he did mention the abuse that laptops tend to take. So, we are supposed to carry this computer daily and in doing so expose it to bumps, vibrations, and possibly falls:eek: . My question is, what kind of warranty should we have? I know there is IT staff for the school, and sure they can diagnose the problem but what about paying to replace a cracked screen, shot motherboard, or any other problem? If anybody has any information about suggested warranties, or simply suggestions I'd be glad to hear them. I'm thinking I'll call the computer rep. and see what she has to say. Thanks.

25. WSDriller

WSDriller WSDriller
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I guess for warranty reasons, that would be another reason not to be in a rush to buy the laptop. I would be interested to find out about warranty info. Let us know.

26. Manyak222

Manyak222 Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Didnt they want us to buy a 4 year warranty that includes accidental damage protection? That's what I remember at least, but I was somewhat in a daze in that neutral green colored room at the time...

27. 3xCharm

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Too late for me. I needed a computer and so rather than buy one now and the required one later I purchased the thinkpad. I tried calling the rep a couple times today with no luck and have not received a response to my e-mail but when it comes I'll let ya'll know.

28. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    My two cents: do NOT buy the laptop they recommend unless you love it. Any modern laptop will do just fine, including any Mac (the VitalSource book program actually runs BETTER on my Macs than it ever did on the crappy laptop they had me buy).

The only reason you need to purchase the same laptop as everybody else is in case your crashes--they can then send it in for repair and you can get a loaner laptop. But even then it doesn't matter much what brand yours is, you can still get a loaner computer, but having the ASDOH model would in theory expedite the repair process.

After having the POS laptop they recommended for 1.5 years, I said to hell with it and got me a laptop that I actually wanted (after chucking the original ASDOH one in the garbage dumpster). To this day I consider that laptop the biggest waste of money during dental school. You'll especially love the fact that the majority of faculty and lecturers will be using Macs.

(Caveat: yes, I prefer Macs, especially now that they run Windoze as well as OS X. But many of my classmates junked their original laptops and bought other models that they preferred. I wasn't alone in this.)

29. 3xCharm

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thank you Gavin. After considering your input, as well as some other current students, I decided to cancel my purchase of the "required" laptop. I've been working with Macs the past couple years and have found them very user friendly, so I think I'll go with one of their models. I do wish that they would have "suggested" a laptop rather than "require" a specific model. I was under the influence that there was no two-ways about it; you buy the one they state. Well, back to computer shopping:D

30. WSDriller

WSDriller WSDriller
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    My guess is that ASDOH has an agreement with this company, stating that they will have 60 students that will by a computer from them. In return, students obviously get a better rate on the computer and someone at the school may even be getting some special perks. If enough of us go out and buy our own computers, someone is not going to be very happy. Like you 3XCharm, I wish it was just a suggested computer rather than a required one.

31. jim85213

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Sorry...I had to dig this thread up so I can ask a question. I have also decided not to purchase the required laptop BUT it's getting harder and harder to find laptops that don't run Vista. Will the programs that we need to run at ASDOH be compatible with Vista? I would hate to have to buy a laptop with Vista (and pay more for it) and then have to install XP. Thanks.

32. tissy

U.S. Public Health Service 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I'm wondering too!!

33. GoodTimes

Pre-Dental
    hey everyone. i went to the dinner in mesa for the new dental students last week. we specifically asked joyce the question about the "required" laptop... and she made it very clear that it is REQUIRED and we are expected to show up with that on the first day of school. a couple of student ambassadors who were at the dinner said they have the required laptop and haven't had problems with it. they also said that some people who don't have the required laptop have had some problems occasionally with downloads, etc. so, i just wanted to pass on that bit of info from the dinner.

34. jim85213

Dentist 10+ Year Member

My problem is that I already have one. I don't want to have to buy another laptop.

35. ItsGavinC

Dentist
    They'll make you buy the required one, which is fine if you need a laptop and like model they are making you purchase. If you don't need another one or dislike the model then it's a huge waste of money. In actuality any modern (less than 2 years old) laptop will do just fine. If you have a DVD drive, you'd be fine. If you can access webpages, you'd be fine. If you have a wireless card/capability, you'd be fine. There isn't any magical software ASDOH uses that requires a certain computer.

In my time at ASDOH, the single thing that ticks me off the most is the $2,000+ they made me waste on a complete and utter piece of junk laptop. I've got to stop now or my BP is going to go through the roof. <rant done>

36. ItsGavinC

Dentist
    I'm not telling you what to buy or not to buy, but I will answer your question. The only question I would have, is regarding your electronic bookshelf. The website is: http://www.vitalsource.com/. All of their documentation states that you need Mac OS X or Windows XP. I would contact them to ask about Vista. If the computer ASDOH is requiring you to purchase comes preloaded with XP, then there is a good chance that the bookshelf won't work on Vista. Call them though to see.

37. jim85213

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Will do. Thanks a lot Gavin.

38. Cam-MSU

Cam-MSU Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Ya, I have a pretty new powerbook and would like to keep it. It's 80gig with the dvd-r burner. I won't be happy droping 2k on another one

39. jim85213

Dentist 10+ Year Member

This is what the Vitalsource people told me....

***Thank you for inquiring about Vitalsource Bookshelf! The latest version of our software, 4.5, is fully Vista-compliant. If you'd like to get a head start with becoming familiar with it, feel free to download and install it now fromour web site at

http://www.vitalsource.com/betterbooks

You can grab a few free books to get a feel for how the various features work. The Help Files have a tutorial as well.***

I was also a little disheartened to hear that I might have to buy ANOTHER laptop but I guess I'll be good.

40. keester88

Pre-Dental
    I have facebook but I don't think that ASDOH is on there, I've tried a few times to find it. I will see all of you at ASDOH in July and am super excited to finally start. Does anyone know where to find an immunization form we are to send in? I think I probably got it in the mail and lost it.

41. WSDriller

WSDriller WSDriller
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    If you log on to your MyATSU webpage (https://my.atsu.edu/); click on the link for ASDOH, then go to the student services page, there is a link for immunizations & CPR. You can find the form there. Hope that helps.

42. Shoshanah

Pre-Dental
    I was just wondering if anyone has applied for the health insurance coverage?? if "yes" which one did you pick?? I called the registrar's office and they told me that students can obtain the insurance plan offered by Fairmont Specialty but only in mid July. I'm a little confused b/c everything needs to be turned in by June, so any help would be great!

43. ItsGavinC

Dentist
    The assistant in our ASDOH Prosth. clinic wanted me to let all you incoming students know that she has three rooms for rent in Power Ranch (an area of Gilbert located at Higley & Germann, about 15 minutes south of the school). The home owner lives there and used to work at ASDOH. The monthly rent including utilities is $450. The home is 4 bedrooms and 2.5 baths, along with two community pools, tennis courts, basketball courts, jogging paths, etc. If anybody is interested in a room they can contat Teressa at 480-773-1735 or email her at [email protected]

44. Manyak222

Manyak222 Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    By the way, for those who didn't know (like me), the actual website for the required laptop is....

www.cdwg.com/atsuasdoh

45. jim85213

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Hey all... how long did it take IT to make a MyATSU account after you were accepted?

46. Robert Paulsen

Robert Paulsen Brush and Floss Daily!
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student