Who's planning to take the August MCAT *and* apply for the 2007 Cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tribeca

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post if the title applies to you, your reason why, and what your plans are as far as when you're submitting your app to AMCAS, classes you're taking, LOR's, etc. Also post if you were a previous August MCATer who got accepeted into medical school - when did you submit your appp? Which schools did you apply to and where did you get in? I'm only curious about the people who didn't retake the MCAT from April. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Tribeca said:
Please post if the title applies to you, your reason why, and what your plans are as far as when you're submitting your app to AMCAS, classes you're taking, LOR's, etc. Also post if you were a previous August MCATer who got accepeted into medical school - when did you submit your appp? Which schools did you apply to and where did you get in? I'm only curious about the people who didn't retake the MCAT from April. Thanks! :)

If you have to take august, then you definitely want to try and get AMCAS done and out the door well before your test date -- ideally June-July. That way the only thing still outstanding will by your MCAT scores, and you can be fully complete on the earliest possible date. In a rolling admissions process, earlier is better, and you'd be surprised how much a month or two delay after the scores can cost you in terms of consideration.

Tribeca said:

I'm in the same boat as you. Reasons include deciding late in my college career that I would be applying to med school, and thus still finishing up prereqs (my actual major is pretty much complete). I'm planning on submitting my AMCAS as early as possible (June hopefully), getting all my LORs in order before then or right around then, and like Law2Doc said, ensuring that once my MCAT scores are released, I will be complete.

I'll be applying to a broad range of schools (well, none of the upper tier/Top 10 schools). I have no delusions of grandeur; that is, I understand how ridiculously competitive it is to get into any med school, and thus I'll probably pick two or three "reach" type schools (just in case I would happen to do real well on the MCAT), and the rest will be primarily the typical schools in my area (Mid-Atlantic/Northeast) that tend to be slightly less selective. My ultimate desire is to practice medicine, and although obviously there are differences between schools and there are advantages to attending more prestigious schools, in the end having the degree and the license to practice medicine is what's important (to me, at least).

My MCAT score will pretty much decide where I get accepted, if anywhere. My other stats are fairly average. I started off my undergrad with a less than stellar GPA (3.0ish) for the first year and a half (with no real direction, undeclared major, most of my time spent in Varsity athletics), but since then have maintained a 3.9+ GPA, a few leadership positions, some volunteering, and most importantly (to me at least), a 6 month internship as a medical assistant/phlebotomist at a local Family Practice office (which I will be returning to work at during my year off between graduation and when I plan to matriculate to med school). The experience I've gained there has been invaluable, and I hope to convey this to all schools that will care to listen.

Ok I've rambled on too much. Best of luck to you Tribeca, I know what you're going through, so hopefully all of us August MCATers can overcome the handicap of applying blindly without knowing our scores (and our applications becoming complete later) and get that first coveted acceptance!

Members don't see this ad :)
rogerwilco, i feel you! part of me wants to get it done now, but the rational side of me tells me to wait til NEXT April to do the MCAT and everything else. I originally planned on taking ochem I and II and the MCAT over the summer and submit my AMCAS in June ( i posted a similar thread in December, "Summer: Ochem I & II + MCAT + Apps = Too Much?") and received helpful advice from SDNer's. The thing is, I really feel that I can get good grades in Ochem over the summer and study for the MCAT as long as I don't take the labs. I'm drafting my AMCAS and my PS already. I have research and volunteering and clinical experience under my belt and my GPA's above average (3.7, if I ace my classes this sem, it'll go up).... I just wanna do it already! The only thing that's holding me back is my LOR's. My school has a committee and it would be better if I go through them but they won't submit it until they get my MCAT scores in October...which I think is too late. If I don't use them, I can use Interfolio but don't schools prefer a committe?

Anyways, I just spilled my thoughts all over the place. I keep swinging back and forth with my decision. That's why I started this thread... to see how many of us are on the same boat. Welcome! :p

BTW, does anyone know which schools are on a rolling admissions and those that aren't? I have the 2006-2007 MSAR but it doesn't seem to say on there, just the "Earliest Date of Acceptance Offer" or something like that. If I'm missing it, someone please let me know.

Tribeca said:
BTW, does anyone know which schools are on a rolling admissions and those that aren't? I have the 2006-2007 MSAR but it doesn't seem to say on there, just the "Earliest Date of Acceptance Offer" or something like that. If I'm missing it, someone please let me know.

Looking at that date will basically tell you if a school is rolling or not. For example, if the school's 1st acceptances don't go out until Jan or Feb...then it is most likely not rollling. If the school's 1st acceptances go out in Oct/Nov then its rolling. Also the only schools that I know that are non-rolling are: NYU, Cornell, Columbia, Aecom...Im sure there are others but Hope that helps!

I'm considering retaking in August and I will almost assuredly be applying in the coming 2006-2007 cycle. I have two years of post-bacc at the undergrad level and I'm in an SMP program right now. However, all of my SMP grades wont be available until December and I understand most schools will want to see those grades before making a decision, so taking the August MCAT shouldnt really institute too much of a delay. I took the test in April '05, and got a 34S. I know thats a very good score, but two things concern me. First, I was scoring much higher on practice tests and believe that I could realistically score at least 2+ higher. I would hate to go through the process, waiting for an interview/acceptance and doubting if I should have retaken. And second, my gpa is atrocious (unworldly bad). There are people who have gotten in with serious rehabilitation, but if you follow their success stories on mdapps, you'll find that the ones who got in with a bad gpa tend to have 35+ MCATs whereas the ones who just missed out are at 34 or less.

I'm still thinking about it though. I may even take a few practice tests and retake in April, if my schedule opens up enough on the weekends to work on it.

Tribeca said:
My school has a committee and it would be better if I go through them but they won't submit it until they get my MCAT scores in October...which I think is too late. If I don't use them, I can use Interfolio but don't schools prefer a committe? Quote]

they ask you for a reason if you have a committee and not use it. i think that you have a legit reason. if your score comes in october you never know how long it will be till they do the letter

Tribeca said:

Hi Tribeca,

I'll be taking the August MCAT to apply for '07. I am a non-trad who decided a few months ago to just go back and apply to medical school, because I regret not doing it when I was in undergrad. I have my BS and my MS and have been working in hospitals since graduate school 4 years ago. I now am completing my pre-reqs this semester and am not taking the April MCAT due to the fact that I'm just not ready for it and I'm not going to pretend that I will be. I will send in my AMCAS and ask for LORs as soon as I can (June-July) and I learned this, thanks to people like Law2Doc who educated me. Then when my MCAT scores roll in, hopefully everything else will be ready for the schools. I am not applying to many top tier schools, mainly regional schools due to my husband's career and desires to stay in this area. So, we'll just see...

minnie2240 said:
Looking at that date will basically tell you if a school is rolling or not. For example, if the school's 1st acceptances don't go out until Jan or Feb...then it is most likely not rollling. If the school's 1st acceptances go out in Oct/Nov then its rolling. Also the only schools that I know that are non-rolling are: NYU, Cornell, Columbia, Aecom...Im sure there are others but Hope that helps!

Penn and Harvard are non-rolling also

JimmyG said:
Hi Tribeca,

I'll be taking the August MCAT to apply for '07. I am a non-trad who decided a few months ago to just go back and apply to medical school, because I regret not doing it when I was in undergrad. I have my BS and my MS and have been working in hospitals since graduate school 4 years ago. I now am completing my pre-reqs this semester and am not taking the April MCAT due to the fact that I'm just not ready for it and I'm not going to pretend that I will be. I will send in my AMCAS and ask for LORs as soon as I can (June-July) and I learned this, thanks to people like Law2Doc who educated me. Then when my MCAT scores roll in, hopefully everything else will be ready for the schools. I am not applying to many top tier schools, mainly regional schools due to my husband's career and desires to stay in this area. So, we'll just see...

JimmyG, what other prerquisites do you have left? how many schools do you plan to apply to? good luck!