Who's running your OR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ecCA1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On the Ketamine thread, there's talk of surgeons demanding decadron. A reply was made wherein the respondent ridiculed the idea of surgeons "demanding" anything, although this particular person would entertain suggestons.

What is your own policy regarding surgical demands/requests? Personally, as a resident, unless the surgeon is asking for something truly dangerous, I tend to go along with it as I don't feel that I've got the "rank" that would allow me to freely go against simple requests like decadron, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

That was me in the ketamine thread that said I don't take demands but I will entertain requests.
I feel like if a surgeon wants to give something that I don't agree with or think is unnecessary then he/she can give it when the case is over and the pt is out of my care. I am not being a hardass and I frequently have already given the med when the surgeon requests it. Even if I haven't given it, I say that I gave it already (if thats my plan) b/c it gives the surgeon the impression that I am ahead of the game and then they stop requesting things. Its all in your presentation.
It may have struck a cord with some on this but its really not an issue in my OR. I know how my surgeons practice and they know how I practice. THese issues don't come up.