Who's URM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

awaitsimpatient

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Who's URM?

Hispanic, native american, or african-american; so you would be considered a URM.

And I'm pretty sure being a first one in your family to attend a college doesn't make you a non-traditional student.

A non-traditional student is someone who delays their college enrollment after high school, works full or part time in college, has dependents, etc.

Yes I think you are URM. There is a special place in the AADSAS where you designate yourself as such.

Members don't see this ad :)
Who's URM?

Hispanic, native american, or african-american; so you would be considered a URM.

And I'm pretty sure being a first one in your family to attend a college doesn't make you a non-traditional student.

A non-traditional student is someone who delays their college enrollment after high school, works full or part time in college, has dependents, etc.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Thanks, URM here
NON- traditional here : Single MOM, Worked full-time to feed dependents and attended school after two years of High school carrying kids to daycare of college every day
That could help a little bit.. I need to find as much as possible help to improve my application
Thanks again

I see. You're definitely a non-traditional URM student then. Gluck with your application.

dale, aplica como disadvantage URM. Eso seguro que te va a dar mas chance.. otro argentino..zarpado

I think so. There is also a place where u can say u were the first in your family to attend college, if I remember correctly.

Should I fill out the Disadvantage portion of application? I come from a very low class family but I managed to improve my living condition by becoming a Dental Hygienist. I think I am still considered minority then
Thanks

I would definitely fill out the disadvantaged portion if I were you. That's quite a lot of obstacles to overcome. I would state it in your personal statement as well. Good luck!

Wow, Thanks.. Little by little I am finding more info about this Application process that I didn't include before ! Thanks to everyone in SDN

All i know is, i am NOT urm. HOWEVER i wish i was right about now.........just saying.

How does being a first generation/only one to attend college in ur fam make u URM? And how does building urself up from low income make u urm?
is that assuming that everyone else whose in ds is a rich person whose parents all went to college?

How does being a first generation/only one to attend college in ur fam make u URM? And how does building urself up from low income make u urm?
is that assuming that everyone else whose in ds is a rich person whose parents all went to college?

None of that you just mentioned makes you an URM. They were just saying there is a place in the application where you can indicate you were the first one in your family to attend college. The post was saying the low income could qualify for disadvantaged status.

None of that you just mentioned makes you an URM. They were just saying there is a place in the application where you can indicate you were the first one in your family to attend college. The post was saying the low income could qualify for disadvantaged status.

Gotcha

Are you applying this cycle?

Yes if you were disadvantaged then fill it out.

I am also an RDH and a mother of 2, I am married and my husband and I often wonder how single parents do it! Best of luck to you!

Iy

Last edited:
Are you applying this cycle?

Yes if you were disadvantaged then fill it out.

I am also an RDH and a mother of 2, I am married and my husband and I often wonder how single parents do it! Best of luck to you!

Thanks

Last edited:
I will be applying next cycle! After I finish H.S i almost didnt go to college because "maternity" but after two years i was able to get back in track and continued my education carrying my kids every morning in the train at 6 am to daycare at my college! Was not easy but I did it.

Wow your perseverance is amazing! I love stories like yours because they help me feel more normal. There are times when I think I'm pretty crazy to do this!:confused:

I will be applying next cycle! After I finish H.S i almost didnt go to college because "maternity" but after two years i was able to get back in track and continued my education carrying my kids every morning in the train at 6 am to daycare at my college! Was not easy but I did it.

Kudos to you! A single-mother, a student, and a hygienist, any one of which could be a full-time job! Hopefully you have a strong family/friend support! Good luck!

Kudos to you! A single-mother, a student, and a hygienist, any one of which could be a full-time job! Hopefully you have a strong family/friend support! Good luck!
Thanks

Last edited: