Whose backup is also the Caribbean???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WannaFixFounder

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My plan in Ross May '08. Anyone else?

Also, I've been told by inside sources that several students have transfered from Ross to a US school- has anyone else heard this?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, that's my backup as well. I have a really good friend who is a graduate of Ross and is now an orthopedic surgeon(after many years of course...ha,ha.) She's got lots of good things to say about going to Ross, so I haven't ruled it out. I'm glad there are options! Good luck to you. :)

Also, I've been told by inside sources that several students have transfered from Ross to a US school- has anyone else heard this?

I was under the impression that it is very difficult to transfer into US schools. There are a couple, Kansas is the only one that I'm sure about, that take transfers if students drop out of the class as it is necessary to have a certain number of students to keep funding, but besides that it is not a likely scenario.

Members don't see this ad :)
My brother is currently attending St. George's and he says he hasn't yet met a single person who was able to transfer back to the US. Although he has mentioned that quite a few people there are dropouts from Ross.

My plan in Ross May '08.

quote]

That's my plan as well (May '08), have an interview w/Ross 1/15 in Chicago. Being married and non-trad, though, I'm not sure if it can be done.

Staying positive has gotten a little more difficult-the waiting on the other schools (Michigan, Purdue, Minnesota, Louisiana) is driving me nuts :scared:

I'd do it to if I didn't have a spouse and 12,981 animals to bring with me :( I love the atmosphere of the Carribean, but it's just too difficult. They vets I work with told me Ross is a great school, but it's just not feasible for me.

I was under the impression that it is very difficult to transfer into US schools. There are a couple, Kansas is the only one that I'm sure about, that take transfers if students drop out of the class as it is necessary to have a certain number of students to keep funding, but besides that it is not a likely scenario.

Tufts will transfer in a Rossie (with a 3.9+GPA ) into second year if they have any spaces (someone has to not make it to second year).

My understanding is ~ $12,000 per semester (tuition only), 3 semesters a year, for 7 semesters. Then you must do semesters 8-10 at a school in the states that participates w/Ross (perhaps someone else can verify?). Vets I've worked with have told me that as a student they really respected the Ross students when they came to the States for their last year because they had worked virtually year-round to get where they were.

I'm working for a vet who went to Ross. In fact, everyone I spoke with who's gone there has great things to say. I also heard that there are many transfers from Ross to St. George. I have yet to meet anyone who has graduated from St. George though. By the way, small issue, but not for me...at Ross, you must live on campus first year, no pets allowed. What I would do with my three dogs?

One of the Drs I work with is a St. George grad and she's really good.

this is definitely not the norm, but a few years back, maybe the class of 04(?) at Tufts there were I believe 4 Ross transfer students in that class.... the 4 years I worked there I believe every class had at least one transfer... though when I left over this summer, at that point, no one had dropped out of the class of 2010 (though you know how anything can change)

I have one friend who is at Ross right now and she is applying to transfer (as well as a handful of other students), of course this is all based on having some students drop out. I do know that for Tufts to take you as a transfer (into the sophmore class) from Ross you have to complete all three semesters there... so right after the summer semester you would come back to the states and start your second year.

i will say all of the ross transfer students i worked with were fantastic... most of them had lots of experience, but their undergrad gpa just wasnt stellar. They were so hard-working and down to earth and a few have now gone onto to internships and residencies...

oh one little sidenote... not sure about tuition... but cost of living on the island is expensive... and it is very expensive to ship stuff there....

The carribbean schools (Ross and SGU) are also my backup. However, it seems like recently I've been reading some negative things about Ross concerning safety on the island and the school's administration since it was purchased by DeVry. Has anyone else heard things that concern them? Do you think it's a case of people who are unhappy being much more vocal than those that are, and I shouldn't let it concern me?

Members don't see this ad :)
if you search around online you can find some blogs of current/past Ross students... it might help to give a different perspective than you might get talking to the school staff...

here is one i have been reading that i find entertaining... if you read the first posts you can get a good feel for the school...

http://lifeonstkitts.blogspot.com/

These schools are what you make of it.

Last edited:
I agree. As a married pre-vet I'm not thrilled with the distance, but all of the vets I've worked with say 'you + vet school = vet'. I'll have to work hard for a residency, but if the other schools don't pan out...

I totally agree with you. that's a lot to give up though and for a long time. but if everyone there is in the same boat, perhaps it won't be so bad. i also heard about the crime. but does ny or philly not have crime?

I totally agree with you. that's a lot to give up though and for a long time. but if everyone there is in the same boat, perhaps it won't be so bad. i also heard about the crime. but does ny or philly not have crime?

I haven't heard about the crime.....(then again, I haven't been paying attention). What kind of crime? Small crimes like getting stuff stolen, or big ones like assault?

One of the vets I work with actually went to Ross for his first year and then transfered to Tennessee to finish up. He said he just had to take the final exams from the first year of Tennessee to make sure he was up to snuff. I applied to Ross and he keeps telling me I should go there because he loved it. :)

my backup is the caribbean too, but im having trouble figuring out which school is "best" to go to *siGH**:idea:

I am a first (now second- yahoo!) semester student at St Matthews. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask!

My biggest complaint is the weather! I am just not a fan of all the sunshine and heat. I am Canadian. No snow in December was just traumatic for me! haha.

Happy Holidays:cool:

for those of you that know people that transferred, can you elaborate?

If someone were to start in May at ROSS, than say someone drops out first semester at a US school, can the ROSS student jump in on the 2nd semester of the US School's 1st year? Does that make sense?

If someone were to start in May at ROSS, than say someone drops out first semester at a US school, can the ROSS student jump in on the 2nd semester of the US School's 1st year? Does that make sense?

hmm... the only students i know of started off the second year at tufts... i have a feeling most schools would only accept you at the beginning of the academic year due to classes not lining up exactly right so if you were to start second semester you would not be starting off at the same point with the other kids... but i am not sure... i do know to start as a second year and transfer from Ross, Tufts makes you do the full (3 semesters) first year at Ross...

you can also shoot an email to the admissions office at whatever school you potentially would want to transfer into just to super plan for the future :) they might think you are nuts, but i am sure they are used to that!!!

I'm working for a vet who went to Ross. In fact, everyone I spoke with who's gone there has great things to say. I also heard that there are many transfers from Ross to St. George. I have yet to meet anyone who has graduated from St. George though. By the way, small issue, but not for me...at Ross, you must live on campus first year, no pets allowed. What I would do with my three dogs?[/quote

I know someone who is going to Ross and it's her first year and she's bringing her dog and living in off-campus housing, so I'm quite sure that's incorrect.

The tufts student I knew did 3 semesters at Ross and then started first semester of 2nd year (so did have to repeat some classes) at Tufts

I ventured over into the allopathic/MD side of SDN (scary place!) and was reading some stuff people had to say about Caribbean schools for MD programs. The consensus seemed to be that it wasn't a good idea. The primary reason cited for this was that those med schools have a very high fail out rate, that they're not looking to help students through the program and really have more of a "weed out" philosophy. I haven't looking into these claims in other sources, so I don't know if it's true, but assuming it is, I was wondering if there is a similar problem with vet programs at the Caribbean schools. Anyone know their fail out rate, for example?

(Just curious. :))

I believe that is also true for the Caribbean vet schools. US schools see each student as an investment and don't want to lose students throughout the curriculum, hence the stringent guidelines and low admission rates. The Caribbean schools have a higher acceptance rate and once you are in school you have to prove you are capable, leading to a higher drop out rate.

I believe that is also true for the Caribbean vet schools. US schools see each student as an investment and don't want to lose students throughout the curriculum, hence the stringent guidelines and low admission rates. The Caribbean schools have a higher acceptance rate and once you are in school you have to prove you are capable, leading to a higher drop out rate.

Everyone in my semester is going on to second! We are a class of 24 though. Perhaps it is different at Ross and SGU since their class sizes are much bigger, therefore it is easier to "slip"? Or maybe because my class was just awesome? Haha- seriously, vet school IS what you make of it. There may be a higher fail out rate at the Caribbean schools, but like Ri23 said.. prove to them that you CAN make it! :p

My sister's ex-boyfriend went to medical school in the Caribbean (Ross, on the island of Dominica) and he loved it!! He said he wouldn't have traded that experience for anything. He said that the profs probably weren't as great as the ones in the states but as long as you were dedicated to working hard and being very self-motivated, you would do fine. My sister, who just finished med school in the states, visited him there a couple of times and said that the atmosphere was quite different and more laid back there, which I guess could be a good thing.
He is currently in his second year of being an emergency medicine resident at George Washington, so I'd say it worked out well for him. I don't know about the Caribbean vet school, but I would venture to guess that it is probably fairly similar. In my opinion, it's not where you go to school but how hard you work and how well you prove that you are a very capable veterinarian.