Why 1st 2nd or 3rd AV names

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VeryVesalius

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why are the AV blocks given the designations 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.? Is it by severity like getting burned or is there some other reason?

Members don't see this ad.

I’m on the fence if this HW help or not... but I’m going to answer.

First, I assume you are an ONS given your post history.

Second, I’ll assume this is out of quick curiosity and not much reflection (sorry).

You can easily rationalize they advance in severity from delay in conduction to full-blown, all out bedlam.

Reactions: 2 users
You have a 1rst degree AV block? Widened PR interval, QRS complexes occur after every P wave

2nd degree? There are some QRS complexes absent after the p wave

3rd degree? No QRS complexes, only p wave

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You have a 1rst degree AV block? Widened PR interval, QRS complexes occur after every P wave

2nd degree? There are some QRS complexes absent after the p wave

3rd degree? No QRS complexes, only p wave
There are QRS complexes. It's just that the P and QRS don't have relationship to each other

Reactions: 4 users
Why are the AV blocks given the designations 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.? Is it by severity like getting burned or is there some other reason?
Well, when winkebach discovered the beat it was named after him. 1-3 was added later, and presumably designates the severity of the beat with Mobitz 2, and 3rd degree being indications for pacemakers. Second-degree atrioventricular block - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Longer, longer, longer, block? Then you have a weinkebach

If p’s don’t match your cues, then you have a type 2.

Reactions: 5 users
Yes it is by severity. A 1st degree block is nothing to worry about at all. Mobitz type 1 aka second degree type one, has a low risk of progressing to 3rd degree, mobitz 2 has a high risk of progressing to 3rd degree, and 3rd degree is the most severe. The first 2 degrees are delayed impulses through the AV node and the 3rd degree is no impulse through the AV node, which is why you see incongruent p waves and qrs waves, as each node is pacing the atria and ventricles separately.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you. This was a great explanation.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks everyone. We just had 6 50 minute lectures on this in one day and we are supposed to be able to read all the arrhythmias now. We haven't been given any homework. After studying it a bit I saw what was going on. It's severity and the severity concerns the "degree" of blockage meaning how much the electrochemical impulses are hindered. If I forgot to thank anyone I apologize. I appreciate all the help.

Thanks everyone. We just had 6 50 minute lectures on this in one day and we are supposed to be able to read all the arrhythmias now. We haven't been given any homework. After studying it a bit I saw what was going on. It's severity and the severity concerns the "degree" of blockage meaning how much the electrochemical impulses are hindered. If I forgot to thank anyone I apologize. I appreciate all the help.
Same thing happened at my school. Boards and beyond bro