Why am I getting waitlisted everywhere?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sadpremed121

Reaction score
I interviewed at a bunch of places, and so far I’ve gotten mostly waitlists. I’m still waiting to hear back from a couple schools, but they’re ultra competitive T5’s and I’m starting to feel concerned. I felt like all my interviews went well, and I have a strong app stats and EC wise. The waitlists so far have been from rank 10-20 schools. Is it possible that schools waitlist applicants because they want to see if they get into other schools first? Like a form a yield protection almost? Will I probably get waitlisted at the other schools I’m waiting to hear back from?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hope for the best and prepare for the worst. The future is unpredictable.

Is any one of those schools your alma mater or in a state where you reside?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at a bunch of places, and so far I’ve gotten mostly waitlists. I’m still waiting to hear back from a couple schools, but they’re ultra competitive T5’s and I’m starting to feel concerned. I felt like all my interviews went well, and I have a strong app stats and EC wise. The waitlists so far have been from rank 10-20 schools. Is it possible that schools waitlist applicants because they want to see if they get into other schools first? Like a form a yield protection almost? Will I probably get waitlisted at the other schools I’m waiting to hear back from?
A) You could be a weak interviewer
B) You could be a good interviewer, but schools are being more conservative this year due to the lack of the MAR.
C) Consider yourself rejected until you get that accept email in your Inbox, and work accordingly on Plan B

Reactions: 2 users
You might be a strong candidate for one of those T5 schools and the rest are yield protecting until you send a love letter. Hold off on any love letters until after those hold-outs send offers. Then decide if you'd prefer a school that waitlisted you over the one that made an offer. If so, send a love letter but don't expect it to work like magic. Some schools might not have room. If so, be glad you have an alternative.

That said, until you have an offer, think about what you can do in the months/years ahead to strengthen your application. You might also think about an alternative career.

Reactions: 3 users
A) You could be a weak interviewer
B) You could be a good interviewer, but schools are being more conservative this year due to the lack of the MAR.
C) Consider yourself rejected until you get that accept email in your Inbox, and work accordingly on Plan B
You might be a strong candidate for one of those T5 schools and the rest are yield protecting until you send a love letter. Hold off on any love letters until after those hold-outs send offers. Then decide if you'd prefer a school that waitlisted you over the one that made an offer. If so, send a love letter but don't expect it to work like magic. Some schools might not have room. If so, be glad you have an alternative.

That said, until you have an offer, think about what you can do in the months/years ahead to strengthen your application. You might also think about an alternative career.
Thanks for the responses. I probably should have clarified that I already have a couple acceptances, just not at places I necessarily want to be. I considered the possibility that I’m a poor interviewer, but I feel like if that were the case I would be outright rejected rather than waitlisted. Also I feel like the amount of information a school can get about applicants is rather limited since tbh most applicants I’ve met on the interview trail present themselves very similarly. I really hate being on a waitlist since I feel like I have to beg just to get into a certain school and it makes me view the school less favorably.

Thanks for the responses. I probably should have clarified that I already have a couple acceptances, just not at places I necessarily want to be. I considered the possibility that I’m a poor interviewer, but I feel like if that were the case I would be outright rejected rather than waitlisted. Also I feel like the amount of information a school can get about applicants is rather limited since tbh most applicants I’ve met on the interview trail present themselves very similarly. I really hate being on a waitlist since I feel like I have to beg just to get into a certain school and it makes me view the school less favorably.
Patience is a virtue!!!

Reactions: 4 users
you don't get yield protected at any t-20. I think it's your interview skills. You obviously cleared the bar at lower-ranked schools but just lack that tad bit at more competitive schools. Good luck.

you don't get yield protected at any t-20. I think it's your interview skills. You obviously cleared the bar at lower-ranked schools but just lack that tad bit at more competitive schools. Good luck.
I think it’s tough to say. I know from family friends that are adcoms at washu and northwestern that they are hesitant to take certain applicants since they think they’ll choose schools like Harvard or hopkins over them. So a letter of intent usually helps at these schools.

• Wow
I think it’s tough to say. I know from family friends that are adcoms at washu and northwestern that they are hesitant to take certain applicants since they think they’ll choose schools like Harvard or hopkins over them. So a letter of intent usually helps at these schools.
I don't think they really think like that. They always lose people to other schools anyway.

I don't think they really think like that. They always lose people to other schools anyway.

@LizzyM

Sure, but does that mean they don't try to mitigate it where they can?

Unless @sadpremed121 is lying, s/he is giving us first hand info from two separate T20 adcoms that makes sense. Yes, they lose people anyway. If what @sadpremed121 is saying is true, how many more people would they lose, and how much lower would their yield be, if they didn't screen out some extremely stellar apps, and why wouldn't they try to avoid offering As to people who are objectively unlikely to attend, based on the school's experience going back years?

Other than, say, T5, why wouldn't yield protection be a thing at all schools, with relative rank determining who gets protected out at which schools (i.e., T20 yield protecting T5, T50 yield protecting T20, etc.)?

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sure, but does that mean they don't try to mitigate it where they can?

Unless @sadpremed121 is lying, s/he is giving us first hand info from two separate T20 adcoms that makes sense. Yes, they lose people anyway. If what @sadpremed121 is saying is true, how many more people would they lose, and how much lower would their yield be, if they didn't screen out some extremely stellar apps, and why wouldn't they try to avoid offering As to people who are objectively unlikely to attend, based on the school's experience going back years?

Other than, say, T5, why wouldn't yield protection be a thing at all schools, with relative rank determining who gets protected out at which schools (i.e., T20 yield protecting T5, T50 yield protecting T20, etc.)?
man, I am just speaking from my experience. Wonder if you have attended any interview at T5's, T10's, T20's, and T40's.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
In my experience, at an unnamed school, up-date letters help to get an interview where you might otherwise suffer due to yield protection and they can help if you are waitlisted. I have not seen them help post-interview before decision.

Reactions: 4 users
man, I am just speaking from my experience. Wonder if you have attended any interview at T5's, T10's, T20's, and T40's.
And what exactly IS your experience within an adcom at a T5, T10, T20, or T40 deciding whether or not to accept someone who looks really good and checks so many boxes that they just don't seem likely to attend? I'm betting you have less insight into the process than I do, but we are all entitled to an opinion.

People are quick to come here and dismiss anything I say because I haven't posted MCAT scores and have stated that I haven't applied yet. But the truth is that the forum is anonymous, and nobody has any idea who I am, what I know, or who I know, so why don't you stick to agreeing or disagreeing with the content of my posts rather than attacking me for making them?

• Hmm
  • Wow
OP you have two acceptances. Congratulations. Start deciding which of the two schools you are going to attend and then make plans to move your life to that school/city. You can remain on WLs but don’t put your life and plans on hold. WL movement can happen anytime over the next few months and you really need to move on from being disappointed at not being outright accepted at what you perceive to be better and more desirable schools. I understand that you are sad. People probably told you that you were a shoo in for every top T5 school and it didn’t happen. But you still have two very good opportinities to be a doctor. The question is , are you going to take one of those opportunities or are you going to sit and sulk about WLs?

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
And what exactly IS your experience within an adcom at a T5, T10, T20, or T40 deciding whether or not to accept someone who looks really good and checks so many boxes that they just don't seem likely to attend? I'm betting you have less insight into the process than I do, but we are all entitled to an opinion.

People are quick to come here and dismiss anything I say because I haven't posted MCAT scores and have stated that I haven't applied yet. But the truth is that the forum is anonymous, and nobody has any idea who I am, what I know, or who I know, so why don't you stick to agreeing or disagreeing with the content of my posts rather than attacking me for making them?

Not to offend you or anything, but I think people who have gone through or are going through the cycle have more experience and can speak more to the matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Not to offend you or anything, but I think people who have gone through or are going through the cycle have more experience and can speak more to the matter.

No offense taken. I have been getting this a lot lately. I only offer opinions on things where I think I have some level of knowledge and competence. I think, based on what I have seen and know, that yield protection is a real thing at all schools other than those that have organically super high yields, like Harvard, Penn, etc. There have been widespread reports on how Mayo tortures its applicants for pledges of fealty before issuing a coveted A. Do I need to have gone through that process to be aware of its existence and incorporate it into an opinion? The same goes for other, so-called "needy" schools.

It's not like I come on the forum and express opinions on the food served at interview meals when I have not gone on an interview, but people seem to have an issue with me posting at all just because I haven't applied this cycle. I post because I have gained a lot from the forum and I want to try to give back where I can. People can ignore me if they don't think my posts are worth the time to read.

They can also argue, debate, whatever if they think my posts are without merit, or agree if they think I make good points, but saying one needs to be a current (or former) applicant to have a valid opinion on various aspects of the process ignores the fact that there are many ways to gain knowledge without being an active participant.

Again, you have no idea where I obtained whatever knowledge forms the foundation of my opinions, and whether or not my source of information is better or worse than what you know from being an active participant in the cycle, so why not stick to the substance of my posts? Think about it like this -- the forum is anonymous. Why would you want to be in a position of reacting differently to the exact same post if I made up a back story about an application cycle before posting? Behind the keyboard I'd be the exact same person posting the exact same thing.

• Hmm
No offense taken. I have been getting this a lot lately. I only offer opinions on things where I think I have some level of knowledge and competence. I think, based on what I have seen and know, that yield protection is a real thing at all schools other than those that have organically super high yields, like Harvard, Penn, etc. There have been widespread reports on how Mayo tortures its applicants for pledges of fealty before issuing a coveted A. Do I need to have gone through that process to be aware of its existence and incorporate it into an opinion? The same goes for other, so-called "needy" schools.

It's not like I come on the forum and express opinions on the food served at interview meals when I have not gone on an interview, but people seem to have an issue with me posting at all just because I haven't applied this cycle. I post because I have gained a lot from the forum and I want to try to give back where I can. People can ignore me if they don't think my posts are worth the time to read.

They can also argue, debate, whatever if they think my posts are without merit, or agree if they think I make good points, but saying one needs to be a current (or former) applicant to have a valid opinion on various aspects of the process ignores the fact that there are many ways to gain knowledge without being an active participant.

Again, you have no idea where I obtained whatever knowledge forms the foundation of my opinions, and whether or not my source of information is better or worse than what you know from being an active participant in the cycle, so why not stick to the substance of my posts? Think about it like this -- the forum is anonymous. Why would you want to be in a position of reacting differently to the exact same post if I made up a back story about an application cycle before posting? Behind the keyboard I'd be the exact same person posting the exact same thing.

Dude. Self awareness is a thing. Sure you may be "knowledgeable" about the app cycle from afar, regurgitating whatever adcoms/faculty say on here and thats all fine and dandy. But its when you are infiltrating current school discussion threads and commenting on posts like this is where you are 100% not needed at all. Sure you may be from UCF (hence the name knight-doc) and you want to keep up with youre alma's med school and stuff thats fine, but dude why drag a thread like this to the nitty gritty logistics of yield protect etc when op is clearly in a sad place trying to look for an answer to the bigger picture on his lack of overall high tier success given how hard he/she has worked for his stats, EC's, and content of his/her app and the reality of his/their app cycle relative to peers both here and maybe irl.

You claim to be knowledgeable and your sources are "good" and if they are why dont you go ahead and get verified by mods as some sort of knowledgeable person instead of being that person who hasnt done anything and is talking from the sideline. There is a level of garnered respect and a level of mutual empathy between all people who have worked hard to create a polished application/taken the mcat/and submitted secondaries because ultimately it is a stressful time. I understand that you plan to do all these things, and I do wish you luck when the time comes, and i most certainly hope there isnt a premed relentlessly commenting on every thread acting like hes a 6x reapp veteran. I understand feeling knowledgeable on the forums is an ego boost and can make you feel as though you are in a position of power, but dont forget there are real people behind these posts who are feeling real emotions (success is relative to ones own perspective) and ultimately dont care about the nitty gritty adcom proceedings as you seem to enjoy going on about.

Take a step back man i feel bad for your keyboard sometimes whatd it do to you

• Love
Reactions: 34 users
Dude. Self awareness is a thing. Sure you may be "knowledgeable" about the app cycle from afar, regurgitating whatever adcoms/faculty say on here and thats all fine and dandy. But its when you are infiltrating current school discussion threads and commenting on posts like this is where you are 100% not needed at all. Sure you may be from UCF (hence the name knight-doc) and you want to keep up with youre alma's med school and stuff thats fine, but dude why drag a thread like this to the nitty gritty logistics of yield protect etc when op is clearly in a sad place trying to look for an answer to the bigger picture on his lack of overall high tier success given how hard he/she has worked for his stats, EC's, and content of his/her app and the reality of his/their app cycle relative to peers both here and maybe irl.

You claim to be knowledgeable and your sources are "good" and if they are why dont you go ahead and get verified by mods as some sort of knowledgeable person instead of being that person who hasnt done anything and is talking from the sideline. There is a level of garnered respect and a level of mutual empathy between all people who have worked hard to create a polished application/taken the mcat/and submitted secondaries because ultimately it is a stressful time. I understand that you plan to do all these things, and I do wish you luck when the time comes, and i most certainly hope there isnt a premed relentlessly commenting on every thread acting like hes a 6x reapp veteran. I understand feeling knowledgeable on the forums is an ego boost and can make you feel as though you are in a position of power, but dont forget there are real people behind these posts who are feeling real emotions (success is relative to ones own perspective) and ultimately dont care about the nitty gritty adcom proceedings as you seem to enjoy going on about.

Take a step back man i feel bad for your keyboard sometimes whatd it do to you
Some of your points are very perceptive, including my lack of self awareness at times. Others, not so much. If you go back to my first post on this thread, I was SUPPORTING and agreeing with OP's post about yield protection and his/her effort to manage the rest of the cycle.

I get that there is something special about going through a cycle, and I'm REALLY not trying glom onto any of that, but my posts honestly have nothing to do with ego and power. I have been honest about who I am, and am only trying to share what little I know with people looking for advice in an effort to give back because I know a lot more now than I did this time last year. I do note, however, that the people most offended by my existence don't seem to be the people I'm usually posting in response to.

• Inappropriate
  • Dislike

Tbh, what you are doing is the same as giving travel advice because you read some travel guides but have never been there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Tbh, what you are doing is the same as giving travel advice because you read some travel guides but have never been there.

You're right -- and if someone who somehow doesn't have access to Google asks what the weather is going to be like in Bora Bora next week, I really don't think I either have to invest in a round trip ticket or go get a meteorology degree in order to answer the question.

• Inappropriate
  • Haha
am only trying to share what little I know with people looking for advice
Do you think op is looking for you, or anyone in your position (unapplied, junior in college) to respond? Or perhaps they are looking for an LM, Gonnif, Goro or fellow high tier people who have or have not had success to share what they may be doing right/wrong? Its not about inserting the correct answer, its about gauging where you fit in and there definitely is a place for you, me and everyone. But ill tell you right now this thread, and especially the waitlist support thread, are not the places.

Ill let this thread get back to OP's main point now.

Reactions: 9 users
You're right -- and if someone who somehow doesn't have access to Google asks what the weather is going to be like in Bora Bora next week, I really don't think I either have to invest in a round trip ticket or go get a meteorology degree in order to answer the question.

But just because you know the weather forecast, it doesn’t make you a meteorologist.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Some of your points are very perceptive, including my lack of self awareness at times. Others, not so much. If you go back to my first post on this thread, I was SUPPORTING and agreeing with OP's post about yield protection and his/her effort to manage the rest of the cycle.

I get that there is something special about going through a cycle, and I'm REALLY not trying glom onto any of that, but my posts honestly have nothing to do with ego and power. I have been honest about who I am, and am only trying to share what little I know with people looking for advice in an effort to give back because I know a lot more now than I did this time last year. I do note, however, that the people most offended by my existence don't seem to be the people I'm usually posting in response to.
yeah i wasn't a fan of you in the columbia thread lol.

tbh though, the majority of people that are OK w you responding are probably people who don't know that you're a junior/senior in college who has yet to take the MCAT.

Just to put it more bluntly, I agree there's nothing wrong with you posting. But I hope you can understand why, from a more social perspective, the majority of people just don't want to hear advice/comments from someone who hasn't applied yet, especially in the school specific threads ... even if that information is objectively right

You don't need a weather man
To know which way the wind blows

-Bob Dylan
Baby got a ego twice the size of the crib
I can never tell her sh--, it is what it is

- Drake

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
I'm betting you have less insight into the process than I do, but we are all entitled to an opinion.
Look KnightDoc, your posts are no doubt helpful to pre-meds but you can't dismiss the experiences of individuals who are actually in the application process.

No, you don't have more insight in the process than people who have actually had interviews.

I understand your frustration with being dismissed for not taking the MCAT yet but this is not the way to handle it. In a few years you will have hopefully done well on the MCAT, applied, and went on interviews but that time is not right now.

Please continue to give advice to pre-meds but don't dismiss the experiences of people actually in the process.

Reactions: 8 users
To get back on topic, I can't imagine any logic for waitlisting my strongest interviewees. That would be a waste of resources. We can no longer see where else you have been accepted.
Not interviewing someone who is likely to go elsewhere is the point at which resource management (sometimes called "yield protection") occurs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
I feel you. Waitlisted at 4 schools, deferred at one, and rejected at some top insitutions (including in state).

I have a couple As (thankfully), but I am starting to think I interview poorly/those were just lucky?

• Sad
I can relate. I feel lucky to have gotten into where I have and I guess I will need to work on how I come across in interviews.

I feel you. Waitlisted at 4 schools, deferred at one, and rejected at some top insitutions (including in state).

I have a couple As (thankfully), but I am starting to think I interview poorly/those were just lucky?
You two are amazing and interview season really does beat the best of us down.

Sometimes after the interview stage it comes down to chance and luck of the draw. I promise it has nothing to do with who you are as people because otherwise you wouldn't have such wonderful acceptances.

We're all going to make it at the end of the day and on the bright side we'll all be doctors. (Doctor doctor for some of us ;))

I can relate. I feel lucky to have gotten into where I have and I guess I will need to work on how I come across in interviews.

The sad truth is that interviews are so biased to begin with.

To get back on topic, I can't imagine any logic for waitlisting my strongest interviewees. That would be a waste of resources. We can no longer see where else you have been accepted.
Not interviewing someone who is likely to go elsewhere is the point at which resource management (sometimes called "yield protection") occurs.

This makes sense, but I've also had a bit of a tough time with interviews, and as someone who literally has people tell me all the time how "great of a conversationalist" I am I'm a little suspicious that you can't have a perfectly good interview and still not be accepted. Especially when schools tell you that they still look over you're entire application again after the interview, that most people do perfectly good on the interview, and how one dean had to "make sure the numbers were where he wanted them to be" in the matriculating class.

This makes sense, but I've also had a bit of a tough time with interviews, and as someone who literally has people tell me all the time how "great of a conversationalist" I am I'm a little suspicious that you can't have a perfectly good interview and still not be accepted. Especially when schools tell you that they still look over you're entire application again after the interview, that most people do perfectly good on the interview, and how one dean had to "make sure the numbers were where he wanted them to be" in the matriculating class.
There are any number of reasons for getting an interview and not being accepted.
Sometimes the committee doesn't agree with the screener, it could be the interview, it could be timing, it could be things outside of anyone's control (the decsion on P/F Step 1...).

It is also true that no good interviewer leaves you with the impression that you had anything but a great conversation.

• Love
There are any number of reasons for getting an interview and not being accepted.
Sometimes the committee doesn't agree with the screener, it could be the interview, it could be timing, it could be things outside of anyone's control (the decsion on P/F Step 1...).

It is also true that no good interviewer leaves you with the impression that you had anything but a great conversation.
How might Step 1 transitioning to P/F impact admissions decisions going forward?

How might Step 1 transitioning to P/F impact admissions decisions going forward?
Some places can expect a higher than average number of students accepting their offer. Others will have a lower than expected number...

Last edited:
  • Wow

Honestly I think it may be partially due to schools still figuring out a system that works better with the changes that took effect last cycle. Some of the admins at schools I interviewed at said that they accidentally overenrolled last year, so maybe they’re being more cautious with direct A’s this year?

Either that or we’re just terrible interviewees :rofl:

Some places can expect a higher than average number of students accepting their offer. Others will have a lower than expected number...
Interesting. Might it also change the types of applicants admitted? Perhaps with less emphasis on MCAT/GPA since those metrics are correlated with Step1 performance and to a certain extent this no longer matters?

Interesting. Might it also change the types of applicants admitted? Perhaps with less emphasis on MCAT/GPA since those metrics are correlated with Step1 performance and to a certain extent this no longer matters?
Step II will essentially replace Step I's current function moving forward. Schools will still look to accept and recruit the most competitive applicants who fit their mission, if nothing else because rankings and perceived competitiveness still depend on the average GPA/MCAT. What may change in the short term is the matriculation rate depending on how highly ranked a school is (I suspect more acceptees will be swayed by the name of a school than in previous years given the uncertainty). Over the long run, residency programs will still have the same info when evaluating candidates: step II (essentially replacing step I), LORs, clinical clerkship grades, and the MSPE and ERAS application. Seems like every year there's some changes to keep everyone on their toes. Just my thoughts and predictions

• Love
Step II will essentially replace Step I's current function moving forward. Schools will still look to accept and recruit the most competitive applicants who fit their mission, if nothing else because rankings and perceived competitiveness still depend on the average GPA/MCAT. What may change in the short term is the matriculation rate depending on how highly ranked a school is (I suspect more acceptees will be swayed by the name of a school than in previous years given the uncertainty). Over the long run, residency programs will still have the same info when evaluating candidates: step II (essentially replacing step I), LORs, clinical clerkship grades, and the MSPE and ERAS application. Seems like every year there's some changes to keep everyone on their toes. Just my thoughts and predictions
This is a short term fix. Step II scores will eventually begin to creep up. Students will start studying for Step II during M1. USMLE will increase the difficulty of the exam due to the creeping up of scores and they'll have to figure out something new in 10 years.

I doubt it. Everything just shifts to Step 2 ...and the stakes become even higher. Now there is only a single standardized metric.

• Sad
Do you think tho in the wake of this news med schools will weigh the mcat less in admissions?
No way. Remember when the AAMC changed the way scoring was reported to achieve this goal? Absolutely nothing changed. I still remember the very day that percentiles for the new MCAT came out. @efle and I were both (independently) creating a scaled comparison of the two systems (he was a lot faster!).

In fact, the stakes for Step 2 have only gotten higher. Now students will only get one chance at a standardized score. A weaker test taker now has that pressure on top of clinical pressures!

Last edited:
I don’t think schools will weigh the MCAT less, for the same reason this whole change happened because residencies were weighing Step 1 too much - it’s an easy, objective metric that stratifies applicants. Fact is whenever students see a school with an ultra-high MCAT and GPA median it bequeaths prestige. And that’s ignoring the impact these things have on rankings which obviously incentivizes it even more.

Also, there’s no reason to change the scoring of Step 2 - as long as percentiles exist, residency directors can use it like Step 1, even if each score is higher on average.

Do you mind providing more insight on the process of screening for an interview vs the process of ultimately making acceptance decisions? I thought the admissions committee would be the same for both process, or is it the case that a member or 2 of the adcom does the screening and then the full adcom makes post-interview decisions? Or is the screener someone outside the committee altogether?

Last edited:
UG GPA is not a predictor of either med school or MCAT performance. The MCAT is only a weak predictor. Rather, it's a good predictor at who will do poorly (ie, those with scores < 500). The best predictor of Step I performance has been pre-clinical GPA. Good test takers will always be good test takers, because it's a skill set, just like some people can naturally play the flute, or throw a 90 MPH fastball.

• Wow
Short term further projection: premeds gonna choose top20s over cheaper options given the uncertainty (though step 2ck will just replace step 1 in importance long term). So essentially top20 or bust if you’re interested in derm or something like that, which is unfortunate given OPs current predicament... I exaggerate of course, OP and everyone else who gets into med school will be just fine!

I feel for OP tho, that’s a tough situation to be in When you get teased with all those top school interviews.