Why am I getting waitlisted everywhere?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would say it's your interview skills as well. An okay interview does not always lead to rejection. At those schools you may have just missed the mark by a bit, good enough to get waitlisted but not stellar enough for an immediate yes - depends on rest of the interviewee pool.
Congrats on those acceptances! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would say it's your interview skills as well. An okay interview does not always lead to rejection. At those schools you may have just missed the mark by a bit, good enough to get waitlisted but not stellar enough for an immediate yes - depends on rest of the interviewee pool.
Congrats on those acceptances! :)

thx haha. Ya I have a couple acceptances at rank 15-20 schools. I feel like I have a pretty good sense of my interview performance. Like there were interviews I knew went really poorly, still got accepted. And some interviews I was confident were the best of my entire cycle, and I got waitlisted/rejected. I haven’t gotten much love from the 5-15 category. And the schools I’m waiting to hear from are t5, so I’m interested in how this is going to play out in the next couple of weeks.

For those who have witnessed multiple cycles (especially the adcom here), so far, does it seem like schools are utilizing the waitlist a lot more this cycle?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like the title was overly dramatic and clickbaity as the OP was not actually waitlisted "everywhere".. :yeahright:

“clickbaity”:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: 3 users
Not sure why OP is concerned about being waitlisted. They claim to have acceptances. Why apply to a school you dont want to go to? This makes me question their judgment.

• Wow
I understand the OPs mindset. Having gone to HYPSM for undergrad where I did pretty well, before applying to med school, I felt entitled to be accepted at top 5, top 10 med schools. I have since been humbled as med school admissions is on a completely different level of competitiveness. With that being said, I do feel essentially every school except top5 practices yield protection, as acceptance rate and yield are factors in rankings. Adcoms definitely weigh in the likelihood that you will matriculate when making admissions decisions. If you truly feel like you are a top 5-caliber applicant (compare yourself with LinkedIn profiles of current students at top 5 schools and be honest with yourself) then it is possible that you are being yield protected from the 5-15 ranked schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
I feel you. Waitlisted at 4 schools, deferred at one, and rejected at some top insitutions (including in state).

I have a couple As (thankfully), but I am starting to think I interview poorly/those were just lucky?

Don't second guess/doubt/torture yourself like that. The number of applications increases pretty much every year and admissions committees are forced to split hairs even further. While some of the process is obviously affected by GPA, MCAT, ECs, etc., there is a large element of randomness to it as well. Don't forget that.

• Care
No way. Remember when the AAMC changed the way scoring was reported to achieve this goal? Absolutely nothing changed. I still remember the very day that percentiles for the new MCAT came out. @efle and I were both (independently) creating a scaled comparison of the two systems (he was a lot faster!).

In fact, the stakes for Step 2 have only gotten higher. Now students will only get one chance at a standardized score. A weaker test taker now has that pressure on top of clinical pressures!

Make it all pass fall and bring back pre-clinical grades!

I understand the OPs mindset. Having gone to HYPSM for undergrad where I did pretty well, before applying to med school, I felt entitled to be accepted at top 5, top 10 med schools. I have since been humbled as med school admissions is on a completely different level of competitiveness. With that being said, I do feel essentially every school except top5 practices yield protection, as acceptance rate and yield are factors in rankings. Adcoms definitely weigh in the likelihood that you will matriculate when making admissions decisions. If you truly feel like you are a top 5-caliber applicant (compare yourself with LinkedIn profiles of current students at top 5 schools and be honest with yourself) then it is possible that you are being yield protected from the 5-15 ranked schools.

This is a good way to put it. I am in a similar boat at a t5 undergrad and also in the top 3% of my class (graduated summa cum laude). I am grateful for the acceptances that I have so far, but am hoping to get into my home institution’s med school or another t5. If not, then that’s ok too. I think location also factors in since the schools I’ve gotten into so far are either in or near my home state. Other schools probably thought that I might get into a t5 and that I wouldn’t be willing to move to their place since I happen to be a city person (originally from nyc).

Not sure why OP is concerned about being waitlisted. They claim to have acceptances. Why apply to a school you dont want to go to? This makes me question their judgment.
There are some schools on my list that I’d go to over others due to location, name, fit, etc...

There are some schools on my list that I’d go to over others due to location, name, fit, etc...
Sure, that's normal, but wouldn't be a source of concern to me, as you said in your OP. You're in and have choices. Only about 20% of all applicants get to have a choice for multiple admissions. Chill! It's not the end of the world if you dont get your first choice.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

What is HYPSM??

Not picking on the OP, but I have noticed a mindset on SDN that goes something like this: "I got accepted to Harvard and Stanford, why am I waitlisted at U Chicago and NYU???!!!!"

What people fail to understand is that this is an Olympic caliber event, and not every Gold medalist will repeat their performance.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Not picking on the OP, but I have noticed a mindset on SDN that goes something like this: "I got accepted to Harvard and Stanford, why am I waitlisted at U Chicago and NYU???!!!!"

What people fail to understand is that this is an Olympic caliber event, and not every Gold medalist will repeat their performance.
To add on to this, ultimately, one can only attend one institution. There is no benefit in collecting acceptances like they’re trophies.

• Love
To add on to this, ultimately, one can only attend one institution. There is no benefit in collecting acceptances like they’re trophies.

If you're competitive with multiple offers, it is possible to leverage the acceptances for financial aid.

If you have several WLs, how do you strategize about what school to send a letter of intent to (ie balancing top choice vs school more likely to be responsive)?
What’s stopping me from telling all schools they’re my first choice? I feel that it’s unfair to expect applicants to not act in their best interests by forcing them to choose one school at the expense of others, especially since a letter of intent far from guarantees a spot in the class.

• Wow
How can you phrase it so it’s not really a letter of intent but an extremely strong letter of interest?
"I really, REALLY like your school and would love to attend, but honestly if a better offer comes along I would ditch your school in a heartbeat"

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
How can you phrase it so it’s not really a letter of intent but an extremely strong letter of interest?
But then won’t the school know you’re not writing a letter of intent? That you’re essentially choosing another school over them? I’m genuinely curious about this too since I’m expecting around 5 waitlists and then having to beg them to let me in lol.

It’s not that; I just am scared to send an LOI and not hear back until july whereas if I sent one to another school it may have worked out..
That's why I think they're most useful to send towards the end of the cycle. It's usefulness will depend on the institution though and how much they consider these updates (if at all)

Reactions: 2 users
Do you think we could write to admissions deans and ask whether we are high ranked on the WL as we hope to send an LOI?

do admissions deans write back individually to address inquiries like that? Maybe you’d have more luck calling the office directly?

Do you think we could write to admissions deans and ask whether we are high ranked on the WL as we hope to send an LOI?
No, not at my school. This past year students had let my school know that their CTE deadline was approaching but that they would to attend our school. I know of at least two students who got off the waitlist this way, hence my advice above. Of course, they were still very accomplished and competitive applicants to begin with

• Wow
No, not at my school. This past year students had let my school know that their CTE deadline was approaching but that they would to attend our school. I know of at least two students who got off the waitlist this way. Of course, they were still very accomplished and competitive applicants to begin with
What’s a CTE deadline?

What’s stopping me from telling all schools they’re my first choice? I feel that it’s unfair to expect applicants to not act in their best interests by forcing them to choose one school at the expense of others, especially since a letter of intent far from guarantees a spot in the class.
NOthing. And that's why Admissions deans treat them as lies.

Reactions: 8 users
Do you mind providing more insight on the process of screening for an interview vs the process of ultimately making acceptance decisions? I thought the admissions committee would be the same for both process, or is it the case that a member or 2 of the adcom does the screening and then the full adcom makes post-interview decisions? Or is the screener someone outside the committee altogether?

Varies school to school. At my school, the people on the committee who ultimately judge your app are not the same ones who approved your II.

Varies school to school. At my school, the people on the committee who ultimately judge your app are not the same ones who approved your II.

Any chance you could elaborate on how each faction complements the other in the approval of a student or is it independent of one another.

What I mean is, there has to be some baseline that the committee sets for the II-approver etc. or is that not the case and the applicant could be essentially wasting money going to interview.

Any chance you could elaborate on how each faction complements the other in the approval of a student or is it independent of one another.

What I mean is, there has to be some baseline that the committee sets for the II-approver etc. or is that not the case and the applicant could be essentially wasting money going to interview.
In order for an applicant to be invited for interview, the screeners believe that that applicant has the potential to be a good addition to the upcoming class. At our school, each application is screened by at least two screeners. In making this decision, the highlights of their application (including demographic data, breadth and depth of experiences, etc) are considered, within limitations of what can be considered during the screening process anyways. This is why it's important to ensure the highlights of an application are not buried in the midst of paragraphs. Help us, help you.

The adcom ultimately may not be in agreement with the screeners, but by then, the interview may have already occurred and preliminary scores compiled. The percentage of applicants who 'essentially waste money going to interview' is very low from what I've seen. Schools also have incentive to avoid wasting our resources. Screeners who offer too many interviews 'inappropriately' are of course spoken with as perhaps we may have missed something, or perhaps some additional instruction is needed on what qualities are looked for. Just my thoughts

Last edited:
In order for an applicant to be invited for interview, the screeners believe that that applicant has the potential to be a good addition to the upcoming class. At our school, each application is screened by at least two screeners. In making this decision, the highlights of their application (including demographic data, breadth and depth of experiences, etc) are considered, within limitations of what can be considered during the screening process anyways. This is why it's important to ensure the highlights of an application are not buried in the midst of paragraphs. Help me, help you.

The adcom ultimately may not be in agreement with the screeners, but by then, the interview may have already occurred and preliminary scores compiled. The percentage of applicants who 'essentially waste money going to interview' is very low from what I've seen. Screeners who offer too many interviews 'inappropriately' are of course spoken with as perhaps we may have missed something, or perhaps some additional instruction is needed on what qualities are looked for. Just my thoughts
So in the process you are describing, does the adcom separately read the application, or do they just use the cliffnotes from the screener?

In order for an applicant to be invited for interview, the screeners believe that that applicant has the potential to be a good addition to the upcoming class. At our school, each application is screened by at least two screeners. In making this decision, the highlights of their application (including demographic data, breadth and depth of experiences, etc) are considered, within limitations of what can be considered during the screening process anyways. This is why it's important to ensure the highlights of an application are not buried in the midst of paragraphs. Help us, help you.

The adcom ultimately may not be in agreement with the screeners, but by then, the interview may have already occurred and preliminary scores compiled. The percentage of applicants who 'essentially waste money going to interview' is very low from what I've seen. Schools also have incentive to avoid wasting our resources. Screeners who offer too many interviews 'inappropriately' are of course spoken with as perhaps we may have missed something, or perhaps some additional instruction is needed on what qualities are looked for. Just my thoughts

Thank you for the insightful explanation.

So in the process you are describing, does the adcom separately read the application, or do they just use the cliffnotes from the screener?
Screeners and interviewers give their impressions, and adcom members are free to look as in-depth as they want (particularly for applicants who are not slam dunks or have discordant evaluations). Most of our interviewers are quite thoughtful in their assessments