Why Anesthesiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osteooneill

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering what lures medical students to the specialty of anesthesiology. What aspects of it are the most attractive? Why did you choose it? What type of people make the best and happiest anesthesiologists?

Any insight would be helpful!

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I picked it because I fell in love with it. You get to make quick, very important decisions with instant feedback. You don't sit around and talk about what you are going to do for an hour on rounds, and then see what happens over the next few days. I love being in the OR. I love that when you are done for the day, you are done. No calls in the middle of the night saying that your patient is in pain. I love the brief, intense relationships you make with patients. Although under appreciated, I love how truly vital you are during an operation. I also love the hands on, procedural aspects of anesthesia.

I was torn between anesthesia and surgery. I'm still yet to meet an anesthesiologist that doesn't love their job. I've met way too many surgeons that say they would do something different if given the opportunity (funny how many say they would pick anesthesia).

Because I like to sit on a stool and browse SDN and IMGUR and Ebay. I also really like to get paid to do that. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I gather, the biggest gripe people have here is the murky future of Anesthesia with CRNA's etc and not the actual scope of the speciality. I really liked anesthesia as well but I think you need to be fair to yourself and really think if it's worth going into with all the issues the field is facing.

From what I gather, the biggest gripe people have here is the murky future of Anesthesia with CRNA's etc and not the actual scope of the speciality. I really liked anesthesia as well but I think you need to be fair to yourself and really think if it's worth going into with all the issues the field is facing.

So is the inevitable CRNA take over still marching along? My undergrad just opened a CRNA school :barf:

Is this going to turn into another CRNA rant?

So is the inevitable CRNA take over still marching along? My undergrad just opened a CRNA school :barf:

Inevitable? Shoot, I'd better go back to school and get a different degree since it's inevitable that I'll be replaced by a mid-level soon!!!!

Love the OR, procedures, instant grat that comes with your interventions, fast paced decisions. Hate rounding, clinic, writing notes, dealing with social issues, dissecting through fascia.